Is 12 nights too long?

bettymae1121

DIS Veteran
So we're planning a 12 night trip for June 2022 (yeah, I like to plan ahead! But part of it is we need to save up for a trip this big). And while I've dreamed of a long WDW trip in the past, now that it's looking possible, I'm starting to wonder if on day 9 or 10 everyone will be like "well this is fun and all, but I kinda want to go home now".

The general idea is to have two park days then a non-park day. Over the course of the trip, it will be 3 days MK, 2 days each Epcot and AK, and 1 or 1.5 days at DS.

So I'm looking for advice from anyone that's done more than 10 days. It's me, DH and DD who will be 10 on the trip. This is the rough schedule I have so far.

• Sunday - Day 1 - Arrive at Poly about 2ish. Swim until room is ready, unpack, change, dinner at Kona, early bedtime.
  • Monday - Day 2 - Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in the evening
  • Tuesday - Day 3- Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in the evening
  • Wednesday - Day 4- Pool day at resort, rent patio cabana at Poly. Evening open for resort activity or maybe Disney Springs
  • Thursday - Day 5 - Rope drop Epcot until lunch, afternoon break, Epcot in evening (will only tour FW this day)
  • Friday - Day 6 - Sleep in, get to Epcot about 11 to tour WS, stay until close to watch evening show (whatever is replacing Illuminations).
  • Saturday - Day 7 - Resort hop to either BWV or BCV (haven't decided yet, renting DVC points so likely it will come down to what's available). I was originally thinking of dropping our bags to be transferred then heading to a water park for the day, then returning to the new hotel to check in and change, then dinner. But turns out that DD has a fear of water slides, so depending on her feelings 3 years from now, we may skip the water park. So I'm open to suggestions on what non-theme parks things we can do on a resort hop day (we want this day to be a non park day).
  • Sunday - Day 8 - Rope drop AK until lunch, afternoon break, AK in evening
  • Monday - Day 9 - Rope drop AK until lunch, afternoon break, AK in evening
  • Tuesday - Day 10 - Pool day at resort, evening will either be free for a resort activity OR I'm kicking around the idea of doing an evening at DS, as we'll otherwise only have one full day at DS and I'm not sure if that will be enough time there. We'll have seen SWGE at DLR in 2020 so I'm not sure how much of a time suck that will be for us.
  • Wednesday - Day 11 - Rope drop DS until lunch, afternoon break, DS in evening
  • Thursday - Day 12 - Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in evening with desert party for fireworks.
  • Friday - Day 13 - Check out and go home.
Is this too much of a good thing? I've built in plenty of down time, other than rope dropping most mornings the idea is to not go commando mode. Part of the idea of such a long trip is that we'll have time to stop and smell the roses. So I don't think the trip is too intense, I've just never been on such a long trip before to a single destination.

We just went for two weeks in June. We had 10 days tickets + water parks. We loved how it felt like we could just 'take it easy' the whole trip becaise there were always more days to go!
We were never tired of the trip but when it came time to go home none of us were sad (except for my hisband not wanting to return to work).

I hope 12 days is not to much. I am planning a 16 to 19 day trip in September/October 2021. I thought I planned in advance but you are beating me. On our trip it will just be Wife and I. We are in our 50s. My wife is not a morning person, especially on vacation. So I am planning arriving at parks between noon and 1. I am planning 10 park days. 3 at MK and EP and 2 days at AK and DS. Two days will be taken up by traveling from California. That leaves 4 to 7 days of exploring non park activities in DW. I will also be planning to hit numerous restaurants, especially the ones that are themed well. I might sneak over to Universal to mostly do Harry Potter. As other respond to your post, I would be interested in hearing about more extended stays and ideas.

Love to discuss more of your ideas for non park days as your planning continues. Maybe we should start and extended stay thread.

We've done 14 nights!!! Loved it!! We got 10 day park hopper tickets. Took our time. Our arrival night we booked California Grill ordered appetizers, drinks and desserts. Saw the fireworks from their observation deck!

We spent one day having a leisurely breakfast at Grand Floridian (staying at value). Then got bus to spend the day and evening at Disney Springs.

Another day We stayed at resort, relaxed and dressed for Halloween party, leaving resort at around 3 for park entrance at 4 (with just party tickets).

One evening we did the Hoop Dee Doo Revue.

We spent 10 days at the parks, but doing what we wanted, when we wanted. We booked our fast passes and dining. If it rained, we didn't care, we still had "x" says left.

Its,always a sad day When we leave Disney.

When it was over, we had booked a bounce back offer. Going back next week 12 nights. Why the difference, Disney prices. The 12 night stay at same hotel, same exact dates and same park tickets costs is $300 more than last year's 14 night stay!!

Already planning a,stay (hopefully with bounce back offer), same dates, etc but back to 14 nights. (Spent too much during holiday, 2018. I know I can make up $300.

There is so much to see and do all over WDW that I don't think 12-14 days is too long. We've never stayed for less than 10 days. Our last trip was 12 days and if felt so short. Like the PP said, it's always sad when you leave Disney.
I wish we could afford 16-18 day trips. I'd love to be able to just do Disney at a reasonable pace for once. Even at 12 days we never had a full resort day. We were always running around feeling like we didn't want to miss a thing.
We also try to work Universal into our trips so if you're planning a really long stay, maybe you can work a few days at Universal into the trip.

LOL, yeah I'm asking a bunch of Disney addicts if a long stay is too much! :crazy: Anyway thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming!

I don't have too much in the way of ideas of non-park fun. Sitting on the Poly beach watching fireworks one night is on the list, and I wouldn't mind getting over to Ft. Wilderness for the Chip 'n Dale campfire. And just doing some of the free (or cheap) activities around whatever resort we are at (movies by the pool or one of their craft projects). I for sure want to get to Disney Springs as we haven't been since it was DTD (just did not have time/energy on our last few trips). I'll probably make a list and let DD and DH pick some things as well.

So we're planning a 12 night trip for June 2022 (yeah, I like to plan ahead! But part of it is we need to save up for a trip this big). And while I've dreamed of a long WDW trip in the past, now that it's looking possible, I'm starting to wonder if on day 9 or 10 everyone will be like "well this is fun and all, but I kinda want to go home now".

The general idea is to have two park days then a non-park day. Over the course of the trip, it will be 3 days MK, 2 days each Epcot and AK, and 1 or 1.5 days at DS.

So I'm looking for advice from anyone that's done more than 10 days. It's me, DH and DD who will be 10 on the trip. This is the rough schedule I have so far.

• Sunday - Day 1 - Arrive at Poly about 2ish. Swim until room is ready, unpack, change, dinner at Kona, early bedtime.
  • Wednesday - Day 4- Pool day at resort, rent patio cabana at Poly. Evening open for resort activity or maybe Disney Springs
  • Thursday - Day 5 - Rope drop Epcot until lunch, afternoon break, Epcot in evening (will only tour FW this day)
  • Friday - Day 6 - Sleep in, get to Epcot about 11 to tour WS, stay until close to watch evening show (whatever is replacing Illuminations).
  • Saturday - Day 7 - Resort hop to either BWV or BCV (haven't decided yet, renting DVC points so likely it will come down to what's available). I was originally thinking of dropping our bags to be transferred then heading to a water park for the day, then returning to the new hotel to check in and change, then dinner. But turns out that DD has a fear of water slides, so depending on her feelings 3 years from now, we may skip the water park. So I'm open to suggestions on what non-theme parks things we can do on a resort hop day (we want this day to be a non park day).
  • Tuesday - Day 10 - Pool day at resort, evening will either be free for a resort activity OR I'm kicking around the idea of doing an evening at DS, as we'll otherwise only have one full day at DS and I'm not sure if that will be enough time there. We'll have seen SWGE at DLR in 2020 so I'm not sure how much of a time suck that will be for us.
  • Thursday - Day 12 - Rope drop MK until lunch, afternoon break, MK in evening with desert party for fireworks.
Is this too much of a good thing? I've built in plenty of down time, other than rope dropping most mornings the idea is to not go commando mode. Part of the idea of such a long trip is that we'll have time to stop and smell the roses. So I don't think the trip is too intense, I've just never been on such a long trip before to a single destination.
We did 14 nights at POR once and loved it. We both love to read by the pool so that gobbled up lots of time. It also might be a good idea to have a car for getting around and visiting other resorts and in case you just want to go out and explore Orlando.

12 nights is not too long. There are people who stay longer than that. This also gives you a chance to visit other places in Orlando if you want. But with all the days you have planned i would get an annual pass. It will be cheaper in the long run. Not going cammando style is perfect because you can end up walking 8 miles a day so taking it easy is the way to go.

We go twice a year, 8 days in May and 10 days in Sept. and we always feel a little sad on our departure day. ha
Like others have said, the pace of longer trips is much better.
Most overseas guest stay for that long if not longer.

It's hard to say what is right for someone. It depends on how many are going, their ages and likes/dislikes, etc.
We are an older couple and we go twice a year. Our longest stay was 10 days, and it was almost too long for us. We were ready to go home at that time. We had done everything we wanted to do at a slower pace and on our schedule. We had a great time but I think 8 or 9 full days is tops for us.
Whatever you do have a great time:)

Every trip we have done is for at least 9 nights. With our last two trips being 11 nights/12 days. I will say long trips are really the only way I want to go unless I buy in to DVC and go every single year guaranteed.

This is my tips:
  • Do not do back to back days at the same park (mix it up)
  • Do mornings and afternoons at different parks (afternoons we plan based on FP+ availability when having lunch)
  • Try to only schedule the absolute must do restaurants (or over schedule ADRs and cancel the ones you don't want before the cancellation fees)
  • Make a list of must do and want to do things (Mini Golf, Pirate Adventure in MK, ect)
  • Get the 10 day ticket (adding day 9/10 is very inexpensive and gives you more flexibility especially if you just want to stop in Epcot since you are staying at BW possibly - we added day 10 for like $12/person)
  • Hit each water parks for an afternoon activity
  • Rope Drop is not required (some reports are saying rope drop is just as busy as mid-day so keep an eye on that)
  • Take advantage of the late EMH as many people don't stick around to the end since they want to rope drop the next day
Also DS is Disney Springs (shopping/food area) and HS is Hollywood Studios (which is what you are talking about I think).

Lucky you! Be set for an Amazing, more Relaxing Disney vacation overall.. when filled with break/non park days back to back.
Would do it again in a heartbeat.
These days Our visits are shorter (4-5) but we take many more trips. Times /family dynamics change and with that..the type of trip changes as well.
Enjoy!!

We tried a longer trip once, but we were so ready to leave for home. We've found that 9-10 nights are just right for us. We're ready to go home, but not bored or tired of Disney.

Brits commonly go for 2 weeks and I have never heard anyone say it was too long. In fact, I went for 4 weeks in October and had such an amazing time that we are doing another 4 weeks next year. There’s so much to see and do, and it’s much bigger than you can imagine. Going for longer allows you to go at a more relaxed pace, rather than 14 hour days.

Edit: we did not leave property the entire time. We got a car to and from the airport and that was our only contact with the outside world.

We usually go for 8 nights and I often wish we had more time. I always feels rushed for some reason. That being said we usually do not go to WDW the entire time. We have some resort days and usually visit some other attraction for a day.

We just got back from a 16 day trip - left a NYC heatwave - was actually cooler in Orlando ! We had 10-day passes and got to relax a lot ! It was perfect !

I'm glad I saw your post. My husband and I are travelling from Australia on 26 October and staying onsite for 18 nights!! We visited WDW in 2016 for the first time and were completely hooked. Our 2016 trip was only 8 nights - 4 nights either side of a Disney cruise - and it felt really rushed and because it was in September we had our time at Food & Wine really badly cut short because of huge storms each day. We promised ourselves the next trip would be longer so that we could avoid having to rope drop parks every day and tour parks from sun up to closing.

On this next trip we've programmed in a lot more half days at parks - so starting out at EEMH for HS/SWGE and then moving off to another park for the late afternoon/evening once we take a break back at our hotel. We're going to do a MNSSHP and a MVMCP all in the same trip. We're also running the 5km, 10km and Half Marathon races over Food & Wine weekend. We purchased 21 day park tickets which are available to UK guests (and Australians like ourselves if you know where to find them :) - completely within the rules of course) which include mini golf, water parks and memory maker. We've also scheduled a couple of shopping days offsite and a couple of half days to go to Walmart, see an Orlando Magic game and explore. There's even a resort day or two in there!

We've split our accomodation across 11 nights at POP and 7 nights at Saratoga Springs. We had the same concern, that maybe it's too long BUT in planning I've found that it's allowed us to start most of our days mid morning instead of rope dropping and that the amount of days has really reduced the stress of "HAVING" to get certain fast passes and limited the need to spend a heap of time in long lines waiting to get on rides because of limited time. We're looking forward to a far more relaxed trip this time around :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter