Ironing

luvmarypoppins

<font color=darkorchid>I am debating whether to pu
Just wondering do you like it, hate it or never do it?
I think the last time I ironed something was when my sons needed decals on t-shirts for an event.
Recently I went to a bridal shower and an iron was not on the registry.
This was inspired by another person. The only yes responses were quilters and one person who said they found it relaxing.
How about you?

Hate ironing and rarely do it (can’t remember the last time). I have a steamer that also only gets used maybe once or twice per year.

Dry cleaner for certain pieces. Everything else is wash and wear - hang as soon as out of drier so as not to wrinkle.

Time is limited and ironing is at the way way way bottom of the list.

Hate it but do it all the time; practically everything I wear. I can't deal with clothes that aren't crisp - pulling them out of the dryer and hanging them up just doesn't do it for me. We do send DH's shirts out though and that's a huge load off.

I pretty much never do it. I don't buy any clothes that require ironing. It's basically 1-2 times a year, when I've got something special to deal with (e.g. ironing inherited tablecloths in advance of holiday dinners). I don't hate it, I just find it mostly unnecessary.

I don't iron often, but I really don't mind doing it. Your post brought up a memory of my great grandmother. Ironing was her favorite past time. That lady ironed everything, towels, sheets, underwear, even paper money!

I don't really iron. We got a nice iron for a wedding gift 11.5 years ago. I have used it 3 or 4 times to iron a table cloth and that is it. If my DH wears a dress shirt, I take it to the cleaners to be laundered/ironed. All my clothes are wash and wear.

Hate ironing!
Used to iron all of DHs dress work shirts for years to save money. Once the budget got more comfortable, off to the dry cleaners they went!

DD and I will occasionally break out the steamer though.

I hardly ever iron, but I will admit that the hubby generally irons my work clothes each morning.

I despise ironing.

I refuse to buy myself or the kids anything that requires ironing to look good, and DH's work clothes go to the cleaners.

I will occasionally iron the cloth napkins for Christmas dinner, but I have been known to avoid that task by buying new ones.

I rarely do it. Really only in the winter because I have several long sleeve button down "flannels" that cannot go in the dryer and need to be ironed. They are rayon shirts for the most part (it's not cold enough for actual flannel here). That's all I iron. Everything else gets thrown in the dryer with the "wrinkle shield" setting which works great. We also have a steam fresh cycle that you can throw anything into and in 15 minutes it comes out wrinkle free. It uses high heat, though, so can't use it for everything.

I think the craziest thing I've ever heard of regarding ironing is people ironing BEDSHEETS. Like...why??? What a crazy, pointless thing to do.

I just iron my thanksgiving table cloth yesterday. Doesn’t matter how careful I fold it and put it away it alway bad when I bring it out again. My every day one don’t need to be.

My mom ironed everything too. Had 6 kids and was always ironing all weekend. We thought she was crazy to iron everyones underwear and tea clothes.

I fold everything out of the dryer so wrinkles are not bad. Dress shirts done when needed the same day.

I don't love ironing but I have to weekly for my kids' school uniforms. I'm hoping they're going to be old enough soon to do their own ironing soon :rotfl2:

Another person who sews thus irons. It can make a huge difference in the construction phase and the finished product look much more professional. When ironing I need a weighted base, accurate thermostat, appliance with large water tank and the ability to make different levels of steam. I don't understand what modern day light weight irons are about past being a oxymoronic make work marketing tool.

Conversely, I dislike ironing everyday wear and will employ many tricks to avoid doing so such as hanging clothing in a steamy bathroom, finger pressing seams in newly washed clothing that are not bone dried in the dryer, and misting wrinkled cloth.

Ironing was a something my mother despised doing and no matter how poor we were she'd find a way to get out of doing. We had a neighbor who loved ironing while watching soap operas and the two of them work out a bartering system. Betta ironed for us in return for coconut bread Mom made.

Last edited:
When I replaced my dryer I made sure to get one with a steam function. Before that I used the wet towel in the dryer method. As others have mentioned, it’s wash and wear only here. Hanging/folding right out of the dryer is good enough for me. The last time I used an iron was for a craft project.

I have a friend who LOVES to iron. She irons everything. She got a $600 iron for her birthday and was over the moon. She “just can’t” with me and my non ironing ways.🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter