Invite the friend or bring our only child?

SpaceSquirrel

Mouseketeer
Hello, we're doing 4 nights (3 park days) late this fall and are considering inviting our son's friend (they are both 7). We've done Disney w/ him several times and always as an only child. It's only a few hundred more to add on an extra child so I'm thinking about inviting my son's best friend.
He's a good kid and all in all they get along great. There is the little fussy fights a couple times a day but I think this is normal w/ little kids. (the friend feels very comfortable w/ his, we've taken him in several day trips)

My question is would you bother w/ bringing the other kid, just so your child can experience DW (as a child) with another child or do you think we'd (we being my spouse and I and our only child) would enjoy the trip more w/ just the 3 of us? (this other child has never been to DW, his family doesn't have the financial means for a trip like this)

My DD is an only child and we brought friends for her more than once. My DD really enjoyed having a friend and my DH and I enjoyed riding things together instead of one of us riding alone of with a stranger. I do think that 7 might be on the young side for such a trip. I might wait a couple of years since you go often and your son seems to be happy with just the 3 of you. Once I added a friend my DD kept on asking for a friend to join us which was a bit of a PITB to say "no" when I knew that she would be happier.

My DD is an only child and we brought friends for her more than once. My DD really enjoyed having a friend and my DH and I enjoyed riding things together instead of one of us riding alone of with a stranger. I do think that 7 might be on the young side for such a trip. I might wait a couple of years since you go often and your son seems to be happy with just the 3 of you. Once I added a friend my DD kept on asking for a friend to join us which was a bit of a PITB to say "no" when I knew that she would be happier.
Thank you for sharing your experience! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Our son has never experienced DW w/ another child, they'll both be almost 8 when we go.
Do you all think there are benefits to taking along a friend when they're so small or is the general idea to wait until they're older?

I'm an only child and we regularly brought one of my friends on our vacations (different friends on different trips, depending on who I thought would be most fun, lol). These trips included camping, theme parks and beaches. But I don't recall us starting that until I was about 10 years old, before that it was only family (cousins). So 7 may be a bit young, and that may be something to look forward to in a few years.

While I've never been in this situation, here are the questions...can you afford to set this precedent? (Next trip to wherever will your child be asking to bring someone)
Has this friend ever done an overnight with your family? It's all fun and games when it's a one day trip to the beach or wherever and you're back home at the end of the night, going for a few nights changes the dynamics.

At 7 there may still be big differences in what each kid finds scary, which could create drama about what to ride. For example, at 7.5 my son was fine with "thrill rides" like BTMRR, but found HM and Pirates scary. Or one kid could love character meets and the other not want to waste any time at all with them.
I think he'll have more fun being the center of both parents' attention for the trip rather than having to negotiate things with a friend who may be feeling homesick.

7 is young. I would wait. That is all you need is for him to become home sick and want to go home or get actually sick and you would have to care for him. I say it's better when they are in their teens.

Are you close to the boy's parents?
If I wasn't actual friends with them I would be hesitant to bring their child.
Also, if I wasn't close to you I would be hesitant to let my child go at that age.
Of course, that does depend on location. For us, it is a plane ride away, if I was somewhat local I may feel different.

I agree that 7 is young to take a friend to WDW. My boys are 15 years apart so they have had trips as only children, as tot and teen and with cousins. It’s all good but I like that family time best and being an only has never been an issue.

I agree with the PPs. I also have a 7 year old. While she does have a sister and brother, I would be hesitant to bring another child the same age. 7 is still relatively young.

My oldest started saying for a week at a time in the summer with grandparents at about age 6. He would get homesick. He still goes to grandparents for a week at a time in the summer; he still gets homesick. He went to camp for the first time last summer (barely 11), he got homesick (and my DH was there 1/2 the week!). Most kids we know weren't even having sleepovers at age 7.

Anyhow, I'd be hesitant at that age to bring a friend unless the friend was also a cousin or something like that. If I am the other kid's parents, I'd be hesitant to let him go.

I would wait on bringing a friend until he's older. being far from home that young. I also agree with the above poster - lots can happen with friendships at this age.

I'm an only child and we went to Disney a lot as a child. I always had a great time and it didn't bother me. I always picked to sit with my dad on rides. Flash forward - I'm a mom to an only child! And we've taken him to Disney 4 times and soon to be 5 times. It's never bothered him - he's never asked to bring someone. And funny - he always picks his dad to sit with (and my mom says that's my payback!!). But it doesn't bother me to sit alone on a ride since I'm watching the ride! We like the family time and spending time just the 3 of us and vacations are our family time. I know so many people comment about that poor only child - but from being one - I loved it and I never felt sorry for myself I didn't have a sibling to play with on a vacation. Just a different view......

Another for too young for a wide variety of reasons.

I would continue to enjoy your family vacations as family for awhile ........... because before you know it he won't be vacationing with you or only if he can bring others ......... and you'll be missing these special times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter