Internet options in rural area

2goofycampers

Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!
OK tech people.

We live in a rural area. We don't have cable TV or internet (Comcast). We don't have digital phone lines. We are using Verizon Global Modem USB730L right now. What other options do we have?

Glad you're asking. I'm in same boat somewhat. I use DSL unfortunately these days it's hit or miss on if I'm getting the speeds I'm paying for. Looking for other options personally.

I feel your pain. Nothing good or reasonably priced....

1) Satellite. Good for some streaming, problem is at least in this area, you have a set GB per month, I don't know of any that are unlimited. video eats that VERY fast. Very Bad for gaming. To much lag.
2) Cellphone service type hotspot. Also data capped (all those "unlimited" plans, can and will throttle you after X GB/month.)

If I could get cable or DSL I would.....

We had Hughesnet once. Satellite, in the winter once covered with snow, no internet. Was not very fast either. Their customer service was terrible, but at the time was the only option we had where we were.

Like Chris we did Hughes Net route and service was okay Customer service horrible. Switched over to Dish Network and bundled with TV service saved money. When I was still working service was better ( We hit limit with about a week left in cycle) Most likely need to go up a plan grade Also need to have the dish realigned as service over the last 6 months gets spotty on rain days Best bet for us as Verizon wanted us to pay to DSL line run ONTO our road

We live in the boonies where even DSL is not available. For most of the years we lived here, we had satellite. We've been through all of them. Not very good and all had unreasonable data limits. Then, about 2 years ago, some lady from AT&T showed up while we were having Direct TV installed. She told us if we switched to AT&T cell phones, we could get unlimited high speed internet through their box for $20 month.

We were suspicious, as for a decade, only Verizon had even had signal here. She showed us she had 4 bars on her AT&T phone at our front door. Long story short, we changed providers and got a 90 day trial. Been very happy and can finally use as much internet as we want. We can stream movies, play video games, and basically do everything online that we hadn't been able to all these years. True to her word (surprisingly) it really is only $20 a month and really is unlimited and fast.

The box is called AT&T Homebase. I don't know how much it is without switching over to their cell phone service. The box is it's own router that puts off wifi so we can take it camping with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!