International runners applying for WDW marathon 2021

UK_Disney_Dopey_Hopeful

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

so in just 10 days time general registration opens up for for the WDW marathon weekend (Which im sure were all aware of!).

I have been planning for the 2021 event for so long as it was to be my first (and probably only) time i was going to get to afford this.

However, with this horrible situation the world id facing it has cast a lot of uncertainties on what may happen.

Being from the UK the biggest concern i have is international travel. Im hoping it will be up and running again by January, but will there be some kind of quarantine period still by then, and if so ive clearly got no chance of taking part.

So, i contacted RunDisney an asked if this was the case would it possible for a refund..... to which i got the bog standard answer "Are terms and conditions state no refunds", but im thinking as these are very different times to usual, would they perhaps be a bit more understanding?

Basically, are there any international runners out there that will be paying $600+ (Im going for dopey challenge) on May 12th and willing to risk losing that amount of money? any thoughts (From anyone, international or US) is always appreciated!

Thanks guys and stay safe.

I’m going to register and take my chances. I assume Emirates will be flying, the US won’t have any restrictions on incoming passengers, and I’ll be able to get to our house in Florida and be at Disney for the race. All of those assumptions could be completely wrong, but it’s a chance I’m willing to take. If you’re on the fence, perhaps you can find travel insurance to help manage the risk.

Hi. I'd already booked with the RunDisney partner Travel Agent here in the Netherlands before this crisis emerged. You could get into contact with the UK equivalent, which I believe is Sport Tours International and ask them. For me, I have no choice actually. If they cancel the event, I'll probably get a travel voucher from the travel agent (also if the US still does not allow EU citizens). If RunDisney does not cancel the event, and I decide it's too unsafe to travel, I'll loose my money (flights, hotel, registration). I just hope that Disney will make a decision based on the health and safety of their guests and cast members.

I had somewhat vague thoughts of doing Dopey 2021 (after doing my first WDW runDisney event at Wine and Dine last year and really enjoying it). This was back in January before everything started to get serious.

I live 11-13 time zones away from WDW and under normal circumstances it takes me at least 2 flights (ultra long haul + domestic, or two long hauls) to get from where I am to Orlando. I did a quick search out of curiousity to see what my flight options to WDW are at the moment and they are severely restricted compared to normal circumstances. So unless air travel returns back to what it was like by the end of this year my options for travelling to WDW would be limited... not to mention that unless things improve I would be concerned about spending over 20 hours in the air in close proximity to people I don't know, plus having to transit through multiple airports.

Also, overseas leave is currently not allowed by my work until further notice... So there are also restrictions on me being able to travel abroad at the moment.

And I'm also concerned over insurance coverage at the moment, as the USA is one of the countries that I always want to make sure I have adequate travel insurance coverage for (to cover unexpected healthcare needs if they occur).

So all of that combined means that I'm definitely not registering for Dopey 2021 when it first opens, especially as Dopey registration is non-refundable...

I'll re-evaluate later on in the year (as Dopey typically doesn't sell out until late I believe unless it's an anniversary year) and see how things go...

I live 11-13 time zones away from WDW and under normal circumstances it takes me at least 2 flights (ultra long haul + domestic, or two long hauls) to get from where I am to Orlando. I did a quick search out of curiousity to see what my flight options to WDW are at the moment and they are severely restricted compared to normal circumstances. So unless air travel returns back to what it was like by the end of this year my options for travelling to WDW would be limited... not to mention that unless things improve I would be concerned about spending over 20 hours in the air in close proximity to people I don't know, plus having to transit through multiple airports.

The air travel piece of the puzzle probably won’t be solved for several months. Since Emirates is already allowing booking of flights to Orlando this summer, I assume they’ll keep that flight on the schedule for Dec/Jan too. Otherwise, we might not be going either.

Thank you all for your replies and thoughts.

I must admit, i have been feeling pretty similar to Sky13 (Although obviosuly not as many time zones apart!). Insurance is certainly key when travelling to the startes and trying to reach anybody in the UK regards travel plans/insurance is near impossible at the moment.

I guess ive just been so focused and pinning my hopes on this even for 2 years now that i was kinda hoping it would all just be normal by then and we would be clearer on ho things would work for next year. But the true answer is no one knows.

I think i shall sit tight on my entry fee money for now (Ive had to work hard enough for it, would hate to lose it now!) and hope that there may still be a space come July/August/September when we might have some better clarity

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts.

Hi everyone,

so in just 10 days time general registration opens up for for the WDW marathon weekend (Which im sure were all aware of!).

I have been planning for the 2021 event for so long as it was to be my first (and probably only) time i was going to get to afford this.

However, with this horrible situation the world id facing it has cast a lot of uncertainties on what may happen.

Being from the UK the biggest concern i have is international travel. Im hoping it will be up and running again by January, but will there be some kind of quarantine period still by then, and if so ive clearly got no chance of taking part.

So, i contacted RunDisney an asked if this was the case would it possible for a refund..... to which i got the bog standard answer "Are terms and conditions state no refunds", but im thinking as these are very different times to usual, would they perhaps be a bit more understanding?

Basically, are there any international runners out there that will be paying $600+ (Im going for dopey challenge) on May 12th and willing to risk losing that amount of money? any thoughts (From anyone, international or US) is always appreciated!

Thanks guys and stay safe.

I live in Germany and my husband and I decided to push our trip back and do the Wine & Dine 2021. It's not the marathon but at least then we know that a vaccine should be available and it is less likely to be cancelled.

I am planning on Princess weekend next February for my first runDisney event. I started planning at the end of December 2019 so I am very disappointed i may not get to go, but as I am only doing the 10k, i don't stand to lose as much as you. I am more nervous about Virgin Atlantic going bust before I travel, as there are limited options from Manchester (UK) to MCO.

Nurse Jackie we feel exactly the same about Virgin. We have actually booked a family holiday for November 2021 to stay 2 weeks at animal kingdom. I felt relatively confident all this crisis would be over by then so wasnt worried, but the more i keep reading about Virgin Atlantic the more nervous i get. I understand they have now put administrators on standby. Just want this all to end and start getting back to "Normal" (Whatever that will be in the future)

as for taking part in the dopey 2021.... The UK are expected to announce tomorrow/next week that we will require anyone coming into the country to go into self isolation for 14 days. I wouldnt be surprised if other countries put similar in and with no end date in site, could you imagine having to fly out 14 days before the race, do all the races and 14 days when you get back (This is all worse case scenario). I dont have the annual leave allowance for that amount of time off work and to spend christmas away from the family for a race would just be a "no" all day longer.

Sadly i cant do dopey 2022 (As i mentioned above, hopefully holidaying in the states late 2021 so wont have time to complete a training a plan correctly), so i guess its dopey 2023.... finger crossed..... less than 1000 days to get prepared!!!.... better get cracking

i have to say that this morning was a very sad start to the day. As my alarm woke me for my shift at work it was accompanied by the message "Dont forget.... today is WDW registration day"

Something i must have set up sometime ago and forgot all about.

I wish everyone going for it the very best of luck and fingers crossed it all goes ahead without any issues and i hope you have an amazing time!. Go make those dreams guys!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!