International gateway?

java

<font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B
So with the sky tram thingie construction, is the gateway open? Debating where to stay and this entrance is big selling point for Epcot resorts. But it would be a big bust if it was closed

It's open, the big question is how will the gondolas impact the crowds at the IG. For us, the biggest appeal of the Boardwalk resorts are the ability to walk to Epcot *and* using an entrance that has the lowest crowds of any park. If the crowds grow to typical size at the IG after the gondolas are fully operational that will reduce the appeal of the Boardwalk resorts (for us, at least).

YES it is open, all of the construction work is behind walls and currently has no impact whatsoever on guests entering or exiting the park. In regards to the gondolas affecting crowds at IG, I am sure WDW management has a plan in place to increase staffing at the IG gate once the gondolas are operating, if all of the gates at IG are open and operating the impact of additional crowds using that entrance should not be a huge impact.

I agree that this is a huge perk for staying at the Epcot area resorts. I think the gondolas will make it a lot more crowded, and less convenient, but I still think those resorts will be one of the best choices for easy access to 2 parks. I don't fully understand how this makes financial sense on Disney's end, but I'm sure they put a lot more thought into it than I did. :)

The only time IG "might" be affected is right at opening (maybe a little more crowded, but I doubt it will be massive), otherwise it's still a wonderful benefit for the Epcot resort area.

And they are greatly expanding the IG to "hopefully" handle the additional "load" of 4 more Resorts.

I agree that this is a huge perk for staying at the Epcot area resorts. I think the gondolas will make it a lot more crowded, and less convenient, but I still think those resorts will be one of the best choices for easy access to 2 parks. I don't fully understand how this makes financial sense on Disney's end, but I'm sure they put a lot more thought into it than I did. :)
The best explanation I saw involved the high cost of adding more buses to the fleet and to the already congested roads.

The only time IG "might" be affected is right at opening (maybe a little more crowded, but I doubt it will be massive), otherwise it's still a wonderful benefit for the Epcot resort area.

Unfortunately there's no "might" about it, with the gondolas running before park opening the increased congestion will be noticeable, even with a few extra gates.

Unfortunately there's no "might" about it, with the gondolas running before park opening the increased congestion will be noticeable, even with a few extra gates.
According to the info on these boards about the gondolas, capacity is between 4000-5000 per hour, each way. It's going to have a massive impact on IG crowds.

The total number of peolpe going through the IG will greatly increase as will the number waiting for RD.
Otherwise, I'm not sure that we will notice a big change except for a steady number of people entering.
Unlike a bus or boat dropping off a large number of people at once and swamping the gate, the gondolas will drop 6-10 people a few times a minute that will be more of a trickle (I hope).

I think we have to leave this in the "We don't know" category for now. Yes, there will be more guests, but there will be a few extra gates and extra staff and until we see it in action declaring catastrophe is premature.

According to the info on these boards about the gondolas, capacity is between 4000-5000 per hour, each way. It's going to have a massive impact on IG crowds.
Yes but think of it like an omnimover attraction (Haunted Mansion). It won't be dumping 100s of people at a time like a bus so its more of a steady stream of people so lines shouldn't be crazy huge.

I hope they have two entrances, one for Skyliner guests and another for resort guests. But I doubt this will happen.
We chose Boardwalk specifically for the IG entrance and now I'm thinking all that money was a bit of a waste.

We've enjoyed dozens of BoardWalk advantages. Even if the IG was closed to resort guests permanently, we'd still find our BoardWalk DVC ownership worthwhile.

Yes but think of it like an omnimover attraction (Haunted Mansion). It won't be dumping 100s of people at a time like a bus so its more of a steady stream of people so lines shouldn't be crazy huge.
I know that's how it will work. I still think lines will be much longer at the IG entrance when the system is fully operational. I hope to be proven wrong.

I really don’t know why everyone is so worried. They will make it work well. The only reason why IG only had a pair of gates and a small security line before is because that’s all it needed. They’re not going to design it as a disaster so that people are driven away from Epcot area resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!