International a Gateway to close 11/27 to 12/17?

I find it amazing that to this day, Disney has still not issued a public statement, nor sent a message to EPCOT resort guests who may be more greatly impacted, regarding the upcoming FriendShip boat limitations, due to Gondola work at EPCOT..

Checking-in to YC in about 30 days and no word yet! I think I will be more excited to receive an "official" e-mail I can share here than my MagicBand order that should be shipping any moment lol

Not holding my breath tho

Perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on these boards. Blame the company that got it right and informed all their customers. LOL.
I would appreciate you not calling my comment ridiculous until you have taken the time to read all the facts that were available at the time I made it.

Originally Swan/Dolphin provided a written announcement that led people to believe ALL Friendship boats would be stopped for a few week period including those going to the Boardwalk, Beach/Yacht Club, Swan/Dolphin as well as DHS and Epcot. This caused many reactions as people changed resort reservations, dining reservations and more plus rumours that the entire IG entrance would be closed.

In reality it appears the only boat dock that may be closed is the Epcot dock.

The Swan/Dolphin statement is in this post
The Swan and Dolphin have already confirmed that all Friendship Boat service will be suspended from Nov 28 - Dec 18. If you go to Marriott's website and look up rates for a room at either of those hotels the message below displayed. I have also called the front desk of the Swan and the rep confirmed the boat service closure is accurate. I asked about access to the walking paths and she speculated that they may not be accessible either but I would need to call back closer to the date to find out for sure. I am so sorry! We are staying at Yacht Club/Beach Club and specifically booked these resorts for the walking access to HS and EP (we also do not like the buses). Just wanted to give you a heads up the boats are out for sure from Swan/Dolphin.

View attachment 358406

To date I don’t believe anything has officially been announced. If the Epcot dock is definitely going to be closed it would be nice if Disney would make an official announcement but possibly they haven’t yet as dates are still in flux? We don’t know. What I do know is that the partial (inaccurate) information announced by SD caused many guests unnecessary stress which nobody needs when planning their Disney trip.

Last edited:
To date I don’t believe anything has officially been announced.
We are about two weeks out from when the scheduled closure is due and still no official word from Disney? This is a situation you are readily acknowledging, yet you still insist Disney is not at fault, but rather the Marriott for letting their guests know that there will be a disruption in service. Sure, the Marriott said all friendship boat service were closed. But that news, when someone posted about it, barely made a ripple.

The IG closure rumor - for which the Marriott was no part of and should bear zero responsibility - was what led most people to cancel reservations. It was not the friendship boat disruption. To not fault that Disney has YET to address this and place blame on the Marriott, if not ridiculous, does seem misguided and misplaces the onus of who should be addressing the issue that effects Disney’s own guests.

We are about two weeks out from when the scheduled closure is due and still no official word from Disney? This is a situation you are readily acknowledging, yet you still insist Disney is not at fault, but rather the Marriott for letting their guests know that there will be a disruption in service. Sure, the Marriott said all friendship boat service were closed. But that news, when someone posted about it, barely made a ripple.

The IG closure rumor - for which the Marriott was no part of and should bear zero responsibility - was what led most people to cancel reservations. It was not the friendship boat disruption. To not fault that Disney has YET to address this and place blame on the Marriott, if not ridiculous, does seem misguided and misplaces the onus of who should be addressing the issue that effects Disney’s own guests.
I will agree to disagree on this one.

Nobody likes to read two people trying to convince one another about their opinion on these boards.

We just see this differently and that's okay too.

The IG being open for foot traffic renders it a non-issue for us but there are some with mobility issues who might be counting on taking a boat over to Epcot. We check in to the Yacht Club in ~3 weeks and haven't heard a thing from them. In the past I can remember receiving a letter about pool closures or general construction. The way they're handling this is odd.

The IG being open for foot traffic renders it a non-issue for us but there are some with mobility issues who might be counting on taking a boat over to Epcot. We check in to the Yacht Club in ~3 weeks and haven't heard a thing from them. In the past I can remember receiving a letter about pool closures or general construction. The way they're handling this is odd.
I feel the same way! I almost wonder if the CMs will even mention it when checking-in or if Disney will just print the times guide and that will show the disruption in service.

I feel the same way! I almost wonder if the CMs will even mention it when checking-in or if Disney will just print the times guide and that will show the disruption in service.
I just do not understand why there has been no public Disney release of info for this disruption of service, especially when there is info posted on Disney's internal Hub. There should at least be a notice posted on https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/beach-club-resort/, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/yacht-club-resort/, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/boardwalk-inn/, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/boardwalk-villas/, and https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/beach-club-villas/.

This is the message that appears about boat transportation for BCV, without any info about upcoming limited service:

Disney Watercraft Transportation
Cruise from Disney’s Beach Club Villas to Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on a Friendship Boat.

Friendship Boats depart from the Transportation Dock near the Marina, with stops at the Disney's BoardWalk Resort, Disney's Yacht Club Resort, the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel and the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel.

Check at Disney’s Beach Club Villas for the Friendship Boat schedule.

I just do not understand why there has been no public Disney release of info for this disruption of service, especially when there is info posted on Disney's internal Hub. There should at least be a notice posted on https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/beach-club-resort/, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/yacht-club-resort/, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/boardwalk-inn/, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/boardwalk-villas/, and https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/beach-club-villas/.

This is the message that appears about boat transportation for BCV, without any info about upcoming limited service:

Disney Watercraft Transportation
Cruise from Disney’s Beach Club Villas to Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on a Friendship Boat.

Friendship Boats depart from the Transportation Dock near the Marina, with stops at the Disney's BoardWalk Resort, Disney's Yacht Club Resort, the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel and the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel.

Check at Disney’s Beach Club Villas for the Friendship Boat schedule.
While I agree and wish there was a publicly posted notice or communication sent out, I do not think we will see one. The boat transportation stopping to Epcot is not a like a QS dining restaurant or pool closure. The transportation type is not guaranteed and busses will be in place. The more I think about it, its reminds me of when the monorails were working on a modified scheduled. I did not receive a letter or e-mail with a reservation prior to my stay at a monorail resort. It would be nice, but I do not think it will happen.

Can't remember where I read it but I believe the reason the boat service to Swan and Dolphin is down was so that bridge work could be done there next to them and the boats would not be able to come through. I'll try and find that article.

Can't remember where I read it but I believe the reason the boat service to Swan and Dolphin is down was so that bridge work could be done there next to them and the boats would not be able to come through. I'll try and find that article.
No, that was a prior instance. This time, the boats will run at Swan/Dolphin, just not to/from EP, while some work is completed at EP for the gondolas. All other FriendShip stops will operate as normal.

Can't remember as so many different versions of this story have gone around. Has Disney ever officially announced that the Epcot Friendship boat dock will be closed?

Can't remember as so many different versions of this story have gone around. Has Disney ever officially announced that the Epcot Friendship boat dock will be closed?
I don’t believe so but it is still expected to be.
I received an email response from Disney this week. The response said they have no word on any disruption of service for the FriendShip boats at EP. I was advised to contact my resort directly.

I received an email response from Disney this week. The response said they have no word on any disruption of service for the FriendShip boats at EP. I was advised to contact my resort directly.
Strange. Maybe it will just be an overnight disruption.

That was the last communication I received also although I asked longer ago. Thank you for your update.

I'm getting more and more hopeful that the boats will remain open as we're now less than 2 weeks away from the date (Nov 28) the Epcot dock was rumoured to close.

Last edited:
I have not received any automatic notification from "Disney Destinations" about my upcoming YC stay.

However, I did reach out to my resort directly and was told that the Epcot boat would stop during my early December trip. My main concern was the walking path and IG entrance and I was assured both would be open during the boat service disruption. This was about 2 weeks ago so maybe the information changed?

I have not received any automatic notification from "Disney Destinations" about my upcoming YC stay.

However, I did reach out to my resort directly and was told that the Epcot boat would stop during my early December trip. My main concern was the walking path and IG entrance and I was assured both would be open during the boat service disruption. This was about 2 weeks ago so maybe the information changed?
This is great news!

We already knew that IG and the path would be open. The boat is still the question.
Yeah, I am not sure if the information I got about the boat 2 weeks ago is still accurate if there was communication this week that the boat will not close :confused3

We already knew that IG and the path would be open. The boat is still the question.
In this case, I don't necessarily think that no news is good news; it's just no news!

The notice about likely disruption of FriendShip boat service to/from EP is still posted on the Swan/Dolphin site.

As Disney Skyliner construction continues near International Gateway at Epcot in the coming months, International Gateway will remain open to Guests traveling along the connected pedestrian walkway.

During construction, Friendship Boat service will remain available to the resort hotels around Crescent Lake as well as Disney's Hollywood Studios. While Friendship Boat service to Epcot is expected to be unavailable from late November until mid-December, Guests will be able to use bus service or the walkway to access Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter