Interesting New York Times Article on Disney CEO Iger

Yes, read that. Mostly positive, although I'm wondering if he was having an Eisner moment by sticking his fingers in the WOC music issue and overriding the work of the creative folks. Still, I've been mostly impressed.

That was an interesting quote from Eisner that Iger should never “allow arrogance to overpower him like it does many C.E.O.’s.”

I saw that too. Very interesting. I was also wondering about what he changed in WOC.

I just watched an extra on the Toy Story blu ray about Pixar showing Disney their new movie (when they were still making it). This one Disney exec kept making pages of notes about changes they should make. Like Woody should be more "edgey" and "adult". So Pixar did all these things that they wanted and came up with a short clip of sketches where Woody was down right mean and the other toys were nasty. Pixar didn't like it and Disney didn't like it so they were going to pull their money from it. So Pixar asked for a few more weeks and they went back and redid the entire thing to make the movie they wanted to make. And they worked night and day. The result was the movie we now know. It just makes me mad when execs try to dictate to the creative people a certain formula.

So, I'm a little concerned about what he thought he had to change in WOC.

I agree, but you can't make too much about the NYT article reference to Iger's input. He may have been making notes based on meetings they have had or things the creative folks had said, and he thought did not match up to their own statements. It does not mean he was going to dictate they change the show.

We need to be careful here. On the one hand the Al Lutz types bash "clueless executives" who do not get into the parks and do not have a good idea about the creative process. But then when the executives do get involved sometimes they get bashed again for being too hands on.

And finally, there are many examples when the creative types are allowed to take over and still make a mess of things. And the final product is bad.

Yes, you are right. It really depends on the person. Overall I was glad the article was positive and showed a hands on approach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter