Interesting comparison regarding pricing

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
This is unrelated to ticket price changes that came down the pike today, seeing how both of these are priced out today, other than I only started to mess with it to compare prices to a trip I had booked prior to today's changes. If anything, room only would be more if they hadn't updated packages yet

Comparing Stay Play Dine package to Gift of Magic room only with dining and tickets added, so parameters are identical.

This one is with Deluxe dining
offers.jpg

This with regular dining
offers2.jpg

Both are $159 more with the package that is supposed to be a deal on room/tickets/dining.
Moral of the comparison, never assume packages are cheaper. While you aren't paying a whole lot more, you are paying more with the package.

I had the same experiance when I booked under the gift of magic room offer. I had called the reservations number to make the change to stay play dine when I saw that offer on the web site and when we got done and found it would cost more, I stayed with the room discount. The operator I was talking to had actually put me on hold for about 10 minutes to talk to a supervisor because she thought as I did that I would save more money. Weird. 132 days and I get to savor those savings.

A room discount is always better on a deluxe resort especially club level. How would this offer compare on a value or mod?

A room discount is always better on a deluxe resort especially club level. How would this offer compare on a value or mod?

You always have to check the numbers for your resort & party. The room discount % off is sometimes different at different resorts. Ex: 10 % at Poly vs 25% at YC. We are a party of 2 staying club level at YC, so the room discount is better for us. If you are a family of 4 at AS sports, the package would probably be better.

We always stay deluxe so I always went with room discount over free dining for example. I had a family member stay in a regular garden room at YC in September. Because the cost of the dining plan has gone up, the free dining was actually a better deal for their party of 2 adults. Different room types might be available with the different promotions too. So always check what will work best for you.

I figured this out, too, made and canceled a couple reservations before it sunk in, though. :rolleyes:
Also noticed that when you get your confirmation email, it does not break out tickets and room costs. Nor taxes etc. Very opaque pricing.

I think Disney must do this for guests who don't want to be bothered by that, but we keep iBank to a fairly detailed level and so this did not sit well with the bean-counter in me. Once I manually broke it down, the problem became apparent. I think it really helps to keep ibank or quicken software to catch these things. That's how I figured it out. (Once I caught a $2000 tuition error, so it's definitely worth the trouble).

But Disney is not the only one, I booked a room through Priceline and they don't disclose the $35-50 per person per day room upcharge (of course Disney doesn't either but it at least it's part of the room rate they quoted me). I figured this out only after I booked the package and noticed it reverted to a package for 2 instead of 5. Because Disney doesn't tell you about the upcharge, I didn't even know to look for it, but when I called Priceline I found out about it. I'd have been surprised by an extra $150 a day for the 5 of us when we showed up in May! In fact, it was the entire basis for Priceline's "discounted rate.">:(

We're staying at ASM in late January, and PSD was hands down the cheapest discount, across the board. I ran many, many scenarios, and checked lots of different days. We're staying for a week.

OMG, I can't imagine spending that much money on 3 nights for only 2 people. Disney really has gotten so much more expensive. I know it's club level but it's only with a 2 day ticket. Crazy!

OMG, I can't imagine spending that much money on 3 nights for only 2 people. Disney really has gotten so much more expensive. I know it's club level but it's only with a 2 day ticket. Crazy!
That particular pricing with also with Deluxe Dining

But it's also why we always keep our AP renewed.
No need to buy tickets and we get better room discounts than the ones shown (and we don't get dining, this price was for someone else)

We're going in January, 2 adults one child (plus a free aged child) for 5 nights on the standard dining, 6 park days for 2,503 total Don't let this quote scare you. It's very possible to stay at Disney with the dining plan for a longer stay for much cheaper. This was just demonstrating that if you like to stay in particular rooms it can be cheaper to go other routes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter