Interesting Change...curious what you think!

CrazyZeus1

Matching Shirts Rock!
So we're heading on our 10th ABD in March and just got our box. Anyone else got a new 2017 box? Thoughts? I'm not too fond of the things they've eliminated...although swapping the backpack and leather portfolio out worked for us. 10 ABDsx 3 people = a lot of unused things! Maybe that's why they revamped the box? Just curious what everyone thinks!

You're the first person I've heard of who has gotten their box for 2017. Could you let us know what's in it? Pictures, please?

Sayhello

Sure! This was our box this time..[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170221-152752.jpg
    Screenshot_20170221-152752.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 239
That pic didn't upload very well! On the box was 3 luggage tags, a zippered pouch, and a fabric "gift bag" that looks like a shrunken laundry bag. That's it.

Ugh. That makes me sad. I've never taken an ABD trip and was looking forward to getting one of those backpacks one day.

Wow, disappointing! I have a zillion luggage tags and laundry bags. Cost cutting again? Years ago we got a really nice baseball hat I wish they bring that back. Or a sweatshirt or something.

I was sad we didn't get more luggage straps because we use those, and I miss the laundry bag because we use all of them for various things! This gift bag would be good for a pair of shoes I guess, but at that size I wish they had sent one for everyone then. The zipper pouch is useful as well so I like that. Just seems like a lot less "wow" factor than all the other boxes we've received.

I was on a research panel for the 2016 ABD box ideas, and I'm not sure if they did one for 2017 but this box definitely missed the mark as far as what my panel expressed ideas about and likes for.

They also no longer include the hotel-hopping tags that go on your luggage. ABD said the guides will just give them to you now. There was also no tip envelopes included (we always buy greeting cards so not a big deal for us).

Part of me feels petty for opening it and feeling whomp-whomp.... but it definitely didnt have the BIG DELIVERY excitement of past boxes.

I wonder why they don't do the luggage straps anymore. I use mine every time I travel -- just used it for a ski trip to Whistler, BC. It makes your bag so much easier to spot on the luggage carousel. This is truly sad.

I don't care for the new goodies. What a letdown for those families that have done an ABD before. Although I admit to having never used the "iPad" case. I have at least 2 somewhere in one of my closets (I should just toss them as they are too bulky for me to ever use).

Is it really petty for me to be so annoyed about the TIP envelope??? We did not have it in Peru, either (December). It's bad enough we can only basically give the guides cash (that I don't like to keep track of throughout the trip) but then I had to use the envelopes in the hotel room to give them their tips. We had a mostly 'new to ABD' group and I wonder how many forgot to tip at all (I hope none...Our guides were AWESOME). I wish they would go to an online/electronic system or just make things easier.

Are the tip envelopes not included because of a policy change? The ABD website FAQ says "Gratuities for your Adventure Guides are also included."

Are the tip envelopes not included because of a policy change? The ABD website FAQ says "Gratuities for your Adventure Guides are also included."

Where do you see that? I looked at the "Tip Trips & FAQs" for several of the itineraries and they all still say "Gratuities for your Adventure Guides are not included" and have the tipping guidelines.

Where do you see that? I looked at the "Tip Trips & FAQs" for several of the itineraries and they all still say "Gratuities for your Adventure Guides are not included" and have the tipping guidelines.

Danube River cruise. Maybe it's because the river cruises have more guides?

Because there are 7 or 8 guides for the Danube (and Rhine), you don't tip them. Every other ABD you tip the guides.

We also didn't have tip envelopes for our December ABD and we thought they just forgot them! Guess not!

Yeah, I bet it's just because it's a cruise. So that doesn't explain no envelopes in Peru. :) I don't see that statement for any of the other trips and the general FAQs says:

What is not included in the cost of the land package?

• Transportation between residence and airport from which you are departing
  • Round-trip air (or other) transportation between home airport and vacation destination
  • Arrival/Departure transfers to/from airports and hotels, train stations, or other locations not specifically described for each departure*
  • Meals, activities and transportation not specifically set forth in the applicable itinerary
  • Gratuities for Adventure Guides
  • Customs and immigration fees
  • Passport and visa fees
  • Travel protection insurance
  • Baggage fees, excess baggage fees, and other airport/airline fees
  • Laundry, telephone, alcohol (unless noted as included), and all other items of a personal nature
  • Additional taxes may apply which are not included in the vacation package
* As specified in each adventure's itinerary and destination-specific FAQs

Our guide book for this trip says "gratuities for your Adventure Guides are not included"

Is it really petty for me to be so annoyed about the TIP envelope??? We did not have it in Peru, either (December). It's bad enough we can only basically give the guides cash (that I don't like to keep track of throughout the trip) but then I had to use the envelopes in the hotel room to give them their tips. We had a mostly 'new to ABD' group and I wonder how many forgot to tip at all (I hope none...Our guides were AWESOME). I wish they would go to an online/electronic system or just make things easier.
I read in our December book and this one it says some Guides may accept PayPal for tips.

Sigh. I knew it sounded too good to be true. If it was for the danube cruise that makes sense. That was one of the perks they marketed for that trip.

Our guide book for this trip says "gratuities for your Adventure Guides are not included"
It *is* because it's a River Cruise. How in the world would you tip 8 Adventure Guides? It's just too confusing. So they included them, along with the tips for the ship's crew. But you still tip for regular ABDs.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter