Interactive HP wands

kditty

Earning My Ears
I saw that you can buy the interactive HP wands before your trip on Universal's website and take them with you on the trip. But I've noticed that everyone talks about buying them at the park. Has anyone bought their beforehand so you don't have to mess with the box, etc? Or would not recommend doing that just because it's part of the experience?

I think its better at the parks and part of the experience. We had an elder wand that we had before the trip and both my kids were excited to go through all the character wands on site and pick out their favorite.

We're newbies to Universal but have a HP obsessed DD. We're waiting for the parks to purchase so she can get the whole "wand chooses you" experience. I'm sure I'll have a bag on me for the box.

We're newbies to Universal but have a HP obsessed DD. We're waiting for the parks to purchase so she can get the whole "wand chooses you" experience. I'm sure I'll have a bag on me for the box.

Just be aware that not everyone gets chosen for the wand experience at Olivanders...it is a show where one person in the group gets chosen at random. That person goes through the show as Harry did in the first movie, then, afterwards, everyone is led into the gift shop side. There, the person that got chosen is given the option of buying the wand that chose them or picking out another one; everyone else can pick out their own.

Just be aware that not everyone gets chosen for the wand experience at Olivanders...

yes, I'm aware. I wasn't clear in my post. I meant experience in the sense of waiting to go to the actual shop and purchase. If she isn't chosen then we'll do our own thing in the shop. I'm not above forcing her to close her eyes and let the wand choose her.

I would definitely wait until you're in the park. Maybe make a school supply list like Harry had and then visit Diagon Alley first. I can't see a reason to buy one beforehand.

Buy it there. So much more fun to shop in Ollivanders.
As for the box, pull out the map and have the box and bag sent back to your hotel if staying at Universal or to the front of the park for end of day pick up. The boxes can be hard to fit in the lockers. The headache of carrying around empty boxes is unnecessary. :)

If she wants "her own wand" and not a character wand, the wand shop attendants are great. They will look up your child's birthday to pick the wand "suited to them"

Even if I bought it at home, I'd transport it in the box so it doesn't break. And they give you a bag to carry the box, so no big deal. Wait until you get there.

DS had the good fortune to have a wand choose him and I enjoyed getting to try out all the wands to see what "fit" me. Honestly, some just felt odd in my hand and the one I bought feels like an extension of my hand *HP geek alert!* :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter