Instant return FP is the Bomb!

Why is that? I have this image of someone running all over the park, hitting up all the FP kiosks with instant return times.

You could do that, but if you want a more leisurely day, you can go to the ride when you want to ride, instead of sending someone an hour or two earlier just to get FP. It's most useful if you're hanging out on one side of the park and want to ride something later on the other side of the park -- and when you're the only adult in your group or have mobility issues. If this continues, I may actually get multiple rides per trip on BTMRR and Splash.

What has been the typical mid-day return time for Indy?

Are return windows still an hour? Could I theoretically pull Splash Mtn at 10, with a 10:10 return time, head to HM, pull another instant, ride it, then go back to Splash Mtn? I feel like this will change my strategy, but I'm not exactly sure how. Has anyone noticed if GRR has a close return time during the heat of the day? I'm expecting that one to spread out, but based on what I'm reading, maybe that isn't the case. 10 days out!!!!

Are return windows still an hour? Could I theoretically pull Splash Mtn at 10, with a 10:10 return time, head to HM, pull another instant, ride it, then go back to Splash Mtn? I feel like this will change my strategy, but I'm not exactly sure how. Has anyone noticed if GRR has a close return time during the heat of the day? I'm expecting that one to spread out, but based on what I'm reading, maybe that isn't the case. 10 days out!!!!
Grizzly didn't have "instant" FPs when I was there, neither did Splash. As hot as it's been I don't see that changing. Not all FP rides are going to have right now return times especially the headliners like Space, Star Tours, Indy, GoTG and RSR. I expect GoTG and RSR will continue run out early like they have been.

So, I can guess certain rides that would not have instant return times unless you're first in line for FP -- Guardians, RSR, probably Star Tours and Soarin'. What am I missing on this list?

We had nearly instant FP for Star Tours. It wasn't a quick one to run out.

It is unlikely they'll be instant for the water rides in the afternoons. However, these rides tend to take longer to run out than the most popular rides. I will say that GRR gets a very long FP line that backs up in front of the ride. I suppose this is because the line merges with the standby line at the front of the entrance and there isn't any place for people to wait. When you walk up to the ride in the heat of the afternoon you will see a long line extending in front of the store there. That is the FP line for GRR, no the standby. It also goes through a roped off switch back area. It's crazy, but it moves some what quickly and is still much faster than the standby.

Grizzly didn't have "instant" FPs when I was there, neither did Splash. As hot as it's been I don't see that changing. Not all FP rides are going to have right now return times especially the headliners like Space, Star Tours, Indy, GoTG and RSR. I expect GoTG and RSR will continue run out early like they have been.

It is unlikely they'll be instant for the water rides in the afternoons. However, these rides tend to take longer to run out than the most popular rides. I will say that GRR gets a very long FP line that backs up in front of the ride. I suppose this is because the line merges with the standby line at the front of the entrance and there isn't any place for people to wait. When you walk up to the ride in the heat of the afternoon you will see a long line extending in front of the store there. That is the FP line for GRR, no the standby. It also goes through a roped off switch back area. It's crazy, but it moves some what quickly and is still much faster than the standby.

OK - So my DCA strategy might be to hit headliners first thing, with early entry, and then use the kind of instant FP from there. Exception will be to figure out when we want to ride GRR. At DL, I'll talk to the kids and see what their priority is and go from there. And I'll hope Max Pass doesn't get introduced until after my visit.

We had nearly instant FP for Star Tours. It wasn't a quick one to run out.

That is great news for my Star Wars fan DD. If this continues, it will make it easier to accommodate the very different needs of everyone in my family. I can't help thinking of my last trip to WDW, when FP were strictly limited to three per day booked two months in advance, and we didn't ride BTMRR or Space because we used our FP quota for things that the whole family could ride. FP aren't a huge piece of our plans because most of the rides we'll be focusing on don't have FP, but it will be nice for the thrill riders in the family to get their chance. :cool1:

DH and I got in the standby line for Star Tours last night around 11:10 and it was about a 40 minute wait. I happened to look up at the Fastpass return time and it was listed for 11:15-midnight so we stepped out of line, walked across to the Fastpass machines, got Fastpasses and returned to the Fastpass line. The FP line looked long on the outside of the but it moved quickly and we were on the ride in about 5 minutes!

DH and I got in the standby line for Star Tours last night around 11:10 and it was about a 40 minute wait. I happened to look up at the Fastpass return time and it was listed for 11:15-midnight so we stepped out of line, walked across to the Fastpass machines, got Fastpasses and returned to the Fastpass line. The FP line looked long on the outside of the but it moved quickly and we were on the ride in about 5 minutes!

That's what has been amazing this trip. Hopping past long lines and onto popular rides in mere minutes. Even though it is very busy as we are in the final few days of the local annual passes, the fast pass situation is making it fun.
Our kids understand that we are an efficient and well informed family and are waiting much less than the average visitor and getting on a lot of rides. Looking forward to Friday and Saturday when the local passes are blocked.

I think this just goes to show how many people don't know how to use fast passes effectively. Some don't know how to use them at all.

I think this just goes to show how many people don't know how to use fast passes effectively. Some don't know how to use them at all.

This. CMs have told me repeatedly how many people refuse to use FP. They don't want to learn the system or they fear trying something new. Many people think that they have to pay for the passes and refuse to believe that FPs are free. I'm not sure how MaxPass is going to play into this. If people already refuse to believe that basic FP is free, adding a paid component to the system could be very confusing. CMs have repeated that the internet knowledgeable Disney fans are definitely not the majority of guests in the park, so we'll see how this plays out.

This. CMs have told me repeatedly how many people refuse to use FP. They don't want to learn the system or they fear trying something new. Many people think that they have to pay for the passes and refuse to believe that FPs are free. I'm not sure how MaxPass is going to play into this. If people already refuse to believe that basic FP is free, adding a paid component to the system could be very confusing. CMs have repeated that the internet knowledgeable Disney fans are definitely not the majority of guests in the park, so we'll see how this plays out.

I asked for trip advice on FB group for people with my son's diagnosis, and a well-meaning parent suggested that I get fastpass if I could afford it. They knew the correct name for the system, but not that it was free. I have heard people complaining in other forums about how unfair it is that people who can pay for FP get to skip the lines. Every other theme park charges for their express/front-of-the-line passes, so the confusion is not surprising. I agree that it will only get more confusing for people when they advertise MaxPass for a fee. I'm not a fan of FP+ at WDW, but one good thing about the system was that it helped get the word out, at least to everyone who booked a stay at a Disney hotel, that FP is a free perk available to everyone.

Yes it is surprising really. We just walked over from DL to CA at 11:30 to grab RSR passes for this evening before taking our afternoon pool break.
First we did instant fastpass onto Screaming twice then grabbed Goofy and Grizz river passes before picking up RSR passes now at 12:35.
This fastpass situation really works great at CA.

Yes it is surprising really. We just walked over from DL to CA at 11:30 to grab RSR passes for this evening before taking our afternoon pool break. First we did instant fastpass onto Screaming twice then grabbed Goofy and Grizz river passes before picking up RSR passes now at 12:35.

I used to go to Disneyland somewhat regularly as a kid, then there was about 12 years where I didn't go at all. I think fast passes were introduced sometime during that time. First time back as an adult was with my DH and twins that were 3. Honestly, it wasn't a great trip. It was just after Memorial Day, it was hot and crowded, and I didn't know how to "do" Disneyland. I was flustered and I don't think we got a single fast pass. We hopped in line for splash mountain that was supposed to be 45 minutes and it took 90. It was miserable.

Now... we still don't go often but I research everything and it is awesome. We've never come close to waiting 90 minutes for anything. 30 is usually our max and most of the time it is 20 or less. My kids think I have some sort of magical powers for fast passes. They really don't understand why people will wait in long lines when they just have to go get the little paper tickets. I see so many people that don't even try though.

I'm wondering, if so many people won't use the free version, how many will use the one that really does cost money? I would totally use a digital version, but not at the $60/day it would cost our family.

Last edited:
Here now. Wakes up to Soarin' with a 40 minute wait and the fast pass return time was 5 minutes out! Couldn't believe people were waiting when FP was a better, quicker, option.

Yes it is surprising really. We just walked over from DL to CA at 11:30 to grab RSR passes for this evening before taking our afternoon pool break.
First we did instant fastpass onto Screaming twice then grabbed Goofy and Grizz river passes before picking up RSR passes now at 12:35.
I'm familiar with FPs and I've been following this thread and details about the new digital FP, but I think I'm still confused as to how you pulled Goofy and GRR at the same time?

I'm familiar with FPs and I've been following this thread and details about the new digital FP, but I think I'm still confused as to how you pulled Goofy and GRR at the same time?
If, say, you pull Goofy, and its return time begins three minutes ago, you can go straight to GRR and get another because the Goofy return window was already open when you pulled it.

Can someone please explain to me how this FP system is better than its previous version? If many people are going to pull FP then won't that make those lines even longer than the stand by time? And why does Matterhorn have to have FP to begin with? I really miss its SRL! :(

Can someone please explain to me how this FP system is better than its previous version? If many people are going to pull FP then won't that make those lines even longer than the stand by time? And why does Matterhorn have to have FP to begin with? I really miss its SRL! :(
They just removed the automatic 40 minutes minimum wait. People are hypothesizing about them changing the FP volume, but that doesn't actually seem to be the case according to the employees I've talked to. They literally just stopped saying that at, for instance, 10:00, the soonest time was 10:40, and they made it 10:00 instead.

The parks were also not especially crowded when this took effect, which had exaggerated the effect.

They just removed the automatic 40 minutes minimum wait. People are hypothesizing about them changing the FP volume, but that doesn't actually seem to be the case according to the employees I've talked to. They literally just stopped saying that at, for instance, 10:00, the soonest time was 10:40, and they made it 10:00 instead.

The parks were also not especially crowded when this took effect, which had exaggerated the effect.

Hmm interesting. Thank you. I had found this subject an eye glazing over experience when watching you tube videos about it. Lol And didn't have the patience to read all of the posts here about it. It sounds like it isn't going to be much of an improvement if any at all.
Sigh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter