Instant return FP is the Bomb!

We didn't run into this as much as others m, it seems, but I want to reiterate, that at least in our experience, the FP return lines didn't take any longer than normal. The initial line to get your ticket scanned the first time did occasionally back up, but from that point to loading, it was essentially walk on on all rides we did. I wouldn't let the look of the intitial line deter anybody from utilizing FP.

I totally agree. Once past the intital bottleneck, it was fine. Just hoping people will get better at scanning their tickets!

We didn't run into this as much as others m, it seems, but I want to reiterate, that at least in our experience, the FP return lines didn't take any longer than normal. The initial line to get your ticket scanned the first time did occasionally back up, but from that point to loading, it was essentially walk on on all rides we did. I wouldn't let the look of the intitial line deter anybody from utilizing FP.
Yes, we only used it for two rides, but both looked crazy long at FP return but then went quickly.

I guess I'd say it's not necessarily TAKING longer, but it's distributing the line on such a way that it looks much longer initially. The visual was a shock, but the timeframe was the same.

I'm just stressing this point so that people aren't avoiding FP because of how the return line looks!

Thanks for all the info and the reassurances that FP return is not actually taking longer (unless the ride was down). I'm going to assume for now that the instant return times are just the result of no longer artificially setting later return times, not a huge increase in FPs being distributed.

Who knows how things will change in the next month before our trip, but instant return times for the mountains would be so convenient. I don't mind being a FP runner, but I'd prefer to limit that to a couple headliners per day.

So, I can guess certain rides that would not have instant return times unless you're first in line for FP -- Guardians, RSR, probably Star Tours and Soarin'. What am I missing on this list?

So, I can guess certain rides that would not have instant return times unless you're first in line for FP -- Guardians, RSR, probably Star Tours and Soarin'. What am I missing on this list?
Space Mountain goes through FPs faster than Star Tours - right now (9:47 am), Star Tours return time is in 23 minutes (10:10) - Space's is already nearly two hours out (11:45). Soarin's return time is nine minutes out from right now, so not quite instant, but pretty quick.

I definitely noticed that yesterday with Buzz. However, I wonder if that will change in coming weeks and months.

Something else we noticed: once your FP return window has opened, you used to be able to grab another FP for the same ride before using the one you had. With the new system, you have to use your pass first, then get a new one, at least for the same ride. However, you seem to be able to grab a FP for a different ride once the window opens but before you've used your existing one. This was true, at least, for Buzz Lightyear and Splash Mountain.
For what rides were you able to do this and how long ago was it? To the best of my knowledge you could never hold an active FP and get another for the same ride before using it. At least as of five/six years ago. The machine would spit out a ticket saying something to the effect of, "you already have a FP for this ride."

Last edited:
For what rides were you able to do this and how long ago was it? To the best of my knowledge you could never hold an active FP and get another for the same ride before using it. At least as of five/six years ago. The machine would spit out a ticket saying something to the effect of, "you already have a FP for this ride."
The old system allowed you to pull a new FP for the attraction as soon as your return window opened, since they couldn't tell when you'd used your FP. Now, they know when you've used it and you can't get a new one until you have.

Hmmmm....it's kind of hard to say but I would say no. I didn't see standby times that shocked me for a crowded summer day (except for GUardians, that one blew me away, standby was over 2 hours ALL day).

Just for perspective, I ride GoG Saturday at 4pm and only waited 25 min standby. It was posted at 55 min.

The old system allowed you to pull a new FP for the attraction as soon as your return window opened, since they couldn't tell when you'd used your FP. Now, they know when you've used it and you can't get a new one until you have.
I'm asking when that was because that has not been my experience. If I had FPs for RSR and they had not been used yet, my window was open the machine would "turn me away."

I'm asking when that was because that has not been my experience. If I had FPs for RSR and they had not been used yet, my window was open the machine would "turn me away."
I did it several times the week of 6/10-6/16, just a few days before the new FP scanning procedure took effect. Got FP for GotG first thing, and grabbed another within minutes of our window opening, before we'd actually used the first ones we had. The FP distribution machines had no way of knowing whether or not you'd used your FPs yet.

I did this as recently as nine days ago. I'd do it all day on Buzz. With that ride, it was possible to hold up to three active Fast Passes at any given time. Other rides were less likely to permit this but only because the times between next FP availabilities were likely longer than Buzz.

All these reports of instant fast passes makes me want to hop in the car for a road trip! Fast passes are definitely my Disney magic.

Wait.. So why would anyone get in the normal line at all if they can get an instant FP..?

I did it several times the week of 6/10-6/16, just a few days before the new FP scanning procedure took effect. Got FP for GotG first thing, and grabbed another within minutes of our window opening, before we'd actually used the first ones we had. The FP distribution machines had no way of knowing whether or not you'd used your FPs yet.

I did this as recently as nine days ago. I'd do it all day on Buzz. With that ride, it was possible to hold up to three active Fast Passes at any given time. Other rides were less likely to permit this but only because the times between next FP availabilities were likely longer than Buzz.
I realized later you guys mean the actual return time window not eligible for a new FP window. That makes more sense to me. The times we tried it a new FP window was open but our ride time hadn't opened yet. So for RSR we were eligible to FPs again at 11 but our ride window wasn't until like 2. So trying to get them for the same ride at 11:05 would get you turned away but getting them at 2:05 would score you new ones. Is that right?

I realized later you guys mean the actual return time window not eligible for a new FP window. That makes more sense to me. The times we tried it a new FP window was open but our ride time hadn't opened yet. So for RSR we were eligible to FPs again at 11 but our ride window wasn't until like 2. So trying to get them for the same ride at 11:05 would get you turned away but getting them at 2:05 would score you new ones. Is that right?
Yes, that was correct. But now, you must use your 2:00 FP before you can get another for that attraction (which, in the case of RSR, likely means they're already gone, anyway), even though your return window opened at 2:00.

I went to Disneyland this weekend. Saturday was fine, Sunday was too hot. But because of the instant fastpasses on 5 of the rides, it made it much more enjoyable. My favorite one was soarin at 9:25pm. I pulled fastpass and it was 9:30. And people were still in standby line. I'm not sure what possible fastpass they would still have, unless it was at Disneyland since DCA closed at 10pm. I actually started going in standby line, but then noticed the fastpass return times and went there to get it.

Others
Btmrr fastpass that i pulled was for 2 minutes after I pulled.
Screamin I believe was one minute away.
Haunted mansion was 5 minutes, but I didn't use it until later, since we rode pirates first.

The best thing about it is that you don't need to run around the park as much.

The other thing I noticed is that even though the fastpass said 9:30 for example, the system allowed us in at 9:26 or so. Not sure if that will change, but it really did make these fastpasses instant.

Man, I wish I were there now instead of two weeks ago. Of course, my AP expired Monday, so I couldn't be there, but, I wish I were. I'm sure this will go away before my visit in March.

Why is that? I have this image of someone running all over the park, hitting up all the FP kiosks with instant return times.
No, now you don't need to run and collect. That's what is so great. Today we just went to HM when we wanted to go in the ride and grabbed a fastpass right then and used it right then. (Did that two different times today) Same with Buzz many times. Same with BTMRR. Also did that with Splash and Matterhorn earlier in the day.
Because the pass return time on those rides is instant you can just show up and walk on when you are good and ready to.
Other rides like SM, Indy and ST have been busier and not instant.

Why is that? I have this image of someone running all over the park, hitting up all the FP kiosks with instant return times.

I meant that previously, when you pulled a fastpass, at minimum you had to wait 40 minutes or so, which means that you had to leave that ride and find other stuff to do until your time came up. So, overall, less needless walking around, and more efficient as well.

As far as your image of someone running around getting lots of instant fastpasses, I suppose someone could do that, but I was looking at it from the point of view of someone who Doesn't want to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter