Instagram Question

MissyDisneyFan

Earning My Ears
Okay. I'm on Instagram, I am guilty of having a few accounts, mostly for hobbies (painting/embroidering) and one for my dog (who doesn't?), along with my main account. lol.

i'm also on twitter....and facebook. But i'm curious what are your pet peeves on social media? I also have a question in regards to Instagram.

One of my social media pet peeves is people pretending to be celebrities. For example, one of my favorite celebrities: Sam Elliott. The guy states he is Sam (but doesn't have that blue dot) He has stated that he doesn't have social media however there is an account in his name. He's posting pictures of Sam Elliott w/ people... photos of Sam's daughter (from her Instagram Account) etc. He's also answering fans questions.

I'm totally creeped out by this guy . However, a cast member from The Ranch (on Netflix) has commented on the account as well. I don't know why i'm so bothered by this account. I kind of feel bad for his fans who have asked him questions and believing that he is him. I remember the real Sam Elliott has said he doesn't do social media and even got reassurance from his daughter he does NOT . I think I have a problem with catfishers… It's one thing to have an account dedicated to a celebrity from a fan, but to have people believe you are that person gets under my skin.

What are your social media pet peeves?
(my other pet peeves is using hash tags # that doesn't belong with a picture to up it's view. Like using the hashtag cat, when you see a picture of a giraffe.. or using a hashtag of a celebrities name with an item you're trying to sell).

I was following a similar account to what you're describing with Sam Elliot. It bothered me too and eventually I decided to unfollow it - why give an unverified account more attention. If you're really concerned especially with this account using his daughter's photos you can always report it. It's completely anonymous and they're reasonably responsive. Even if they decide it doesn't violate their Ts&Cs they'll let you know that they looked into it.

My biggest (only) issue with Instagram is the randomness of how the posts are ordered. Why not just put the newest posts first.

Instagram's algorithm allows you to always see the newest posts from the people you engage with the most. These are the people you comment on, watch their stories, like their posts, etc - and vice versa. I follow over 600 people, and the ones I care most about seeing would get lost if the posts were arranged chronologically. So I appreciate the algorithm.

But, I do think it would be cool to have options on how you want to order the posts like on Reddit - sort by new, relevant, popular, etc.

I only use Instagram and I only have one account. That's all I can handle. :laughing:

I do want to point out that not every celebrity gets their account verified. I'll use 98 Degrees as an example. Nick, Drew and Jeff have their accounts verified, but Justin doesn't. I can tell Justin's account is real because the other guys tag him in photos.

Also a lot of older celebrities don't use social media, but they understand that it's important for promotion. They will hire somebody to do it for them. However, if they do hire somebody, the account will be verified.

The Sam Elliott account you mentioned does sound a bit odd. Either he changed his mind and opened an account or it's fake. :scratchin I'd look to see if any other verified celebrities tag him with that account.

I don't like the toxic atmosphere of Twtter.
I don't like the inanity and toxic atmosphere of Facebook. It's like when your crazy aunt would send you email conspiracy theories, but now it's everybody's crazy aunt.
And I don't like that Instagram is not in chronological order.

I took off social media for Lent.

Last edited:
#1 is making an entire sentence into a hashtag. That's not what hashtags are for!! Example: #ateadonutthismorning #brokemydiet #itwasreallygoodthough

This is a weird/more recent one, but one I have been thinking about a lot lately as I just had a kid of my own: I have some people that I follow who post A TON of pictures of their kids. These kids have entire online histories created for them, without their consent, before they're old enough to comprehend what that means. It seems so...disrespectful to their privacy, I guess? It especially gets me when people post pics of their kids when they are sick (just yesterday I saw someone post a picture of her kid with the flu hunched over a trash can...WHY did that need to be posted??). And these are not private accounts - don't they know that strangers can see pics of the kids and do whatever they want with them?? UGH! >:( (rant over) Thank you for this thread, this has really been bugging me and I feel better having let that out!

Honestly, my main pet peeve about social media is accounts for animals (pets) or other non humans (stuffed animals who go on "adventures" or similar nonsense). I mean, if it is a FAMOUS animal, okay. But, like, no one's dog needs an Instagram account. Just post pics of your dog on your own page.

Another pet peeve is shared husband/wife accounts. I mean, seriously...what the heck? Seems like some crazy sort of control thing and it makes me uneasy.

Also, I can't stand the strange ways women (it's always women) stand and pose, in unnatural stances, just to make themselves look slimmer or whatever. Drives me up a wall. Along those lines, groups of women (usually sorority sisters) who stand with their knees bent, all crouched down. What is up with that?

It used to be like that before Facebook bought them out. Now they use a similar algorithm that Facebook uses on its timeline.
But at least with Facebook I can change it most “most recent” don’t see a way to do that on Instagram. I look more on both than post, comment, like, etc. (by which I mean I never do these things) So it just seems random to me what is shown.

Last edited:
I'm only on FB, Twitter, Reddit and IG because my work requires it. Police/Fire/Government agencies now frequently release information on FB and Twitter or their website instead of e-mailing it.
The company has backed away from doing anything on IG, it just isn't used much here. And we have way above average use of FB here.

#1 is making an entire sentence into a hashtag. That's not what hashtags are for!! Example: #ateadonutthismorning #brokemydiet #itwasreallygoodthough

That would be my biggest pet peeve as well - over hashtagging in general. I have one high school friend who posts 7 or 8 long hashtags like that with everything she posts.

Okay. I'm on Instagram, I am guilty of having a few accounts, mostly for hobbies (painting/embroidering) and one for my dog (who doesn't?), along with my main account. lol.

i'm also on twitter....and facebook. But i'm curious what are your pet peeves on social media? I also have a question in regards to Instagram.

One of my social media pet peeves is people pretending to be celebrities. For example, one of my favorite celebrities: Sam Elliott. The guy states he is Sam (but doesn't have that blue dot) He has stated that he doesn't have social media however there is an account in his name. He's posting pictures of Sam Elliott w/ people... photos of Sam's daughter (from her Instagram Account) etc. He's also answering fans questions.

I'm totally creeped out by this guy . However, a cast member from The Ranch (on Netflix) has commented on the account as well. I don't know why i'm so bothered by this account. I kind of feel bad for his fans who have asked him questions and believing that he is him. I remember the real Sam Elliott has said he doesn't do social media and even got reassurance from his daughter he does NOT . I think I have a problem with catfishers… It's one thing to have an account dedicated to a celebrity from a fan, but to have people believe you are that person gets under my skin.

What are your social media pet peeves?
(my other pet peeves is using hash tags # that doesn't belong with a picture to up it's view. Like using the hashtag cat, when you see a picture of a giraffe.. or using a hashtag of a celebrities name with an item you're trying to sell).

None. This response is just for posters like me, whose settings prevent them from seeing the OP :D

My granddaughter calls it InstantGram. On the scale of annoyance I give it a 4 or so. Probably cause I love her so much.

I use my Instagram to follow mostly celebrities (actors, musicians, etc.), cats (Merlin the Ragdoll Cat, Juno the Angry Cat, Pompous Albert), and the occasional real person I know. I post *MAYBE* once a month at best. I have under 20 posts in the last 5 years. The same goes for Twitter-- joke accounts, fun things, celebrities, comedians, etc. I follow very, very few "real" people there, too.

FB I have only real people that I know (or friends of friends that I've actually met) and I follow pages.

My biggest pet peeve about Instagram is that I get random Follow requests from people I don't know. I don't add people I don't know. I'm not one of those people who wants a billion followers, and I sure as heck am not about to follow some rando I am not even remotely interested in.

I like instagram, I can not figure out why anyone would like facebook, it seems all they want is for me to add friends, mostly people I have never heard of. Also really do not like the fact the hook me up with people I really do not want to converse with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter