Insights on mask-wearing from those who already wore them "before" covid

https://www.joann.com/how-to-make-a...tml#icn=inspirationLP&ici=besafemasks&start=1
I've found this pattern from Joann Fabrics to work better than the pleated design that many people make. You click on the "Download PDF" to get the pattern. I make mine out of batik fabric, not denim, BTW. And I've got this really soft, gentle elastic for the ties. I modified the pattern a bit as well, so the loops are free floating in the ends and can be adjusted or easily replaced. The masks are lightweight but not porous because batik fabric is dense.

On the exceedingly rare occasions that I go out to where other people are (2 times in 7 weeks) I have to take the exceptional precaution of wearing a powered filtering respirator as we have someone in our home who is at risk. Before then I would wear an N95.

I'll be honest, for a long time I didn't have a lot of sympathy for people who hated wearing the masks. I've always had masks on hand for working in my shop and they are comfortable enough to wear all day in the kind of heat Dante writes about. But I went with a walk in our town park the other day and grabbed a cloth mask to put on when passing strangers at a distance on the trails and ... ugh. Yuck. The feeling of damp cloth against my lips as I talked to my kid ... just ... eww.

If that's part of the problem, get a filtering mask. A blowformed disposable respirator. Cut out large portions of the filter and then hot glue or stitch a couple layers of cloth over it. The mask remnant will serve as a frame and keep the cloth off your face.

Or... Get a reusable filtering respirator, the type that take disposable sheet filters. they're a little bulkier but they are usually very comfortable for long periods.

Exhale Valves really do an okay-ish job of condensing droplets but not as good as a proper face covering. Hot glue a cloth over it. you still get most of the benefit of the valve.

I would like to know how to keep my glasses from fogging.
If you have or have access to a newer iPhone, and have or know someone with a 3d printer, there is a cool app that will 3d scan your face and model you a custom mask frame to 3d print. The end result is a frame to wear over a cloth or surgical mask that seals it perfectly to your specific face.

https://www.joann.com/how-to-make-a...tml#icn=inspirationLP&ici=besafemasks&start=1
I've found this pattern from Joann Fabrics to work better than the pleated design that many people make. You click on the "Download PDF" to get the pattern. I make mine out of batik fabric, not denim, BTW. And I've got this really soft, gentle elastic for the ties. I modified the pattern a bit as well, so the loops are free floating in the ends and can be adjusted or easily replaced. The masks are lightweight but not porous because batik fabric is dense.

I have a heavily modified pattern as well - I make mine with the same basic shape on the top (nose) edge as the bottom (chin) edge - this way, I can grab a mask and just put it on, and the mask curves under the chin and fits a bit better. I sew a self-fabric open hem at the ears end on each side, and then use soft elastic that I cut into loops. I run the elastic through the hem, and pin with a safety pin that I hide in the open hem - that way they are adjustable no matter who wears them.

We also practice only touching the masks by the loops, never the face covering fabric, inside or out. I carry a disposable sandwich baggie in my purse to put "dirty" masks in, and a separate clean stash of "clean" masks.

And last, but oh not least of all - I now wear 2 layers of clothing when I leave the house, and strip off my "outer" layer after the car is safely parked in our garage, and that goes straight into the washing machine. Next to the sink where we wash hands, we have an entire "sanitizing station" where (once hands are scrubbed) we have eyeglass wipes we got at Target that have isopropyl alcohol in them, and we use those to clean keys, any credit cards that were used (or ID, for that matter) and of course our glasses (because they touched the masks) and our phones. It's a LOT to get used to, but even before the pandemic, my family has always been trained to wash your hands the moment you get into the house, before you do anything else, no excuses. So the additional work of cleaning potentially contaminated items is not a big deal to us.

Thank you for all of your great information and advice! I found the thread searching the DIS for information about masks.

Do you recommend one kind of mask over another that is easy to breathe through in the summer? I'm looking for something to wear outside this summer since I don't think that mask-wearing will stop anytime soon. I have a couple of homemade masks made with regular cotton fabric (one with Chicago Cubs logos!) that I use while shopping, but once I leave the store I find them to be pretty hot. It's not ever really hot here in Wisconsin yet!

My response is based more on a best guess than expensive experience using what I am about to recommend in summer [because pre-covid I used other masks most of the time, as discussed previously].

One option would be the traditional earloop pleated medical type masks like you used to be able to buy at a pharmacy OTC. They were all sold out but now seem to be coming back in stock, though not necessarily in the brands you are used to. See my previous post about those. They are lightweight and *ideally* you would just dispose of one and switch it out for a new one if it became too moist.

Another option is a mask (or a gaiter or other style of face covering if allowed in your jurisdiction) using a one of the technical sun protective fabrics that are intended to be lightweight and cooling and wicking. Yes, such things exist. People who are sun sensitive or want to wear UPF clothing as an alternative or complement to sunscreen wear them, as do people like fishermen and others who are in high sun environments where sunscreen just is not enough.

A little about two of the sun protective options based on my personal experience with the fabrics and companies for sun protective clothing reasons with light face covering. Note that these are two I am familiar with, have used for many years, and recommend, but there are other companies out there who make quality products, so these are just examples.

The first is Eclipse: https://eclipseglove.com/ Eclipse makes AMAZING sun protective gloves and sleeves and this is what I first started with of their products. I often wear them when driving, and **I wear them all day long during my WDW and DCL trips**. I can attest that whatever part of my arm is covered by the eclipse sleeve or glove and exposed to the sun is MUCH COOLER than any bare skin, both in "how it feels" as well a physical temp if you touch your hand to it [the proverbial hand to the forehead test only this is the hand to the arm or hand test]. It is amazing and wonderful and did I mention amazing ? It also wicks the sweat off quite effectively without the fabric getting wet. If you read the technical info about the fabric they use on their website, this is exactly how the fabric is supposed to work.

In addition to their sleeves/gloves, they have a fairly new range of clothing, and I have some pieces from that. They also have a neck gaiter, and I have one of those. I quite like the gaiter and have put it through a few uses, including snorkeling with it at Castaway Cay [I have a full face snorkeling mask, and I wore it as basically a hood around my head and tucked up against all around the mask, giving me excellent sun protection for my face and head and neck, which went along with my sun protective long sleeve rash guard and swim tights and socks - as you can see, I avoid the sun and use extensive sun protective clothing]. The gaiter can be worn in the style of a face covering and for my head at least it stays up well == they also have an adjustable version. Same material as the sleeves/gloves, so expect the same properties. I have worn it in FL all day as a neck gaiter providing neck protection and it was quite comfortable.

Next up is Coolibar: https://www.coolibar.com/ . Coolibar has an extensive range of sun protective clothing, from clothing to swimsuits to coverups to hats etc etc etc. I have quite a collection of their stuff, as does my sister, and we have been happy with every piece. They are a mainstay of our wardrobe for our WDW and DCL trips. They have a number of different products they use, each with its own weight and properties.

As an example, I have an earlier version of a hat of theirs that is similar to this one: https://www.coolibar.com/sun-hats/s...hlorine-resistant-ultra-sport-hat-upf-50.html On one of our trips I wore it for hours at Typhoon Lagoon in a December visit, temp in the 80s. It is wearable, but it does get hot under there. Because of the design, you can shift the fabric a bit and it will vent a bit. But while it is suited for a pool/water environment, you don't need the heaviness of that fabric for a day to day normal non pool environment.

If you search their site you will see they have a range of masks, gaiters, bandanas, and scarves made from a range of fabrics. Their site has good info on the technical qualities of the different fabrics they have.

SW

Another option is a mask (or a gaiter or other style of face covering if allowed in your jurisdiction) using a one of the technical sun protective fabrics that are intended to be lightweight and cooling and wicking. Yes, such things exist. People who are sun sensitive or want to wear UPF clothing as an alternative or complement to sunscreen wear them, as do people like fishermen and others who are in high sun environments where sunscreen just is not enough.

It also wicks the sweat off quite effectively without the fabric getting wet. If you read the technical info about the fabric they use on their website, this is exactly how the fabric is supposed to work.

SW

To me, this poses an issue - where is the moisture (possibly laden with COVID-19) going? If it is leaving the face covering, then the face covering might not be doing its job?

To me, this poses an issue - where is the moisture (possibly laden with COVID-19) going? If it is leaving the face covering, then the face covering might not be doing its job?

You end in a balancing act. And there are a lot of factors.

No mask that members of the public will likely be realistically using traps all the moisture. The cloth ones certainly won't. They will trap some, and some masks will trap more than others.

A fabric that is wicking will trap the moisture but then transfer it away from the wearer; ideally so it can evaporate off [in which case it is fine little water particles not big droplets]. A really good fabric you won't feel any dampness.

The evaporating moisture isn't the same as the larger (or even the smaller) droplets expelled during coughing, sneezing and talking, which is what is the primary concern from a covid POV -- those larger droplets can get hurled quite a distance away from the person who emits them, so having *some kind* of barrier in from of their nose and mouth disrupts how far and how fast the droplets can go either because they get caught in the barrier outright or because their "flow" gets disrupted so they basically fall to the ground closer to the person.

I have no idea if the wicking action would also wick virus particles if the wearer was infected. If it does, then the outside of the mask could get contaminated from the inside, but you are supposed to treat the whole mask, especially the outside, as contaminated anyway.

However, you would have a similar problem with a cotton mask that gets damp from the wearer's breath, etc. Except it might stay damp [which in theory could be a growing ground for OTHER microorganisms, like bacteria and molds if it isn't cleaned properly].

If one is comparing a wicking fabric versus NO mask, the wicking fabric would seem to be better because it is *any barrier*.

If one is comparing one type of mask fabric versus another, yes there are better and worse options. However, other factors come in to play, both physical and psychological. And for some people, those other factors may mean a wicking fabric is needed for them to be willing or able to wear any mask/covering at all.

SW

I’m so grateful for this discussion... as a newbie to mask wearing, I struggle to make it through the grocery store to pick up a few necessities without feeling as if I’m going to hyperventilate (using disposable masks). All of these suggestions are so helpful and it gives me hope that I’ll find a mask(s) I can be somewhat comfortable in... which in turn gives me hope that I can manage a Disney trip in the not SO distant future.

I’m so grateful for this discussion... as a newbie to mask wearing, I struggle to make it through the grocery store to pick up a few necessities without feeling as if I’m going to hyperventilate (using disposable masks). All of these suggestions are so helpful and it gives me hope that I’ll find a mask(s) I can be somewhat comfortable in... which in turn gives me hope that I can manage a Disney trip in the not SO distant future.

A couple suggestions for working with the masks you have...

Every so often, take a couple slow deep breaths in and out. I find it sometimes kinf of resets whatever part of my brain has decided "this thing is hard to breathe in" to something like "we're good, I can breathe" and at least buys some time.

Breathe through your mouth. Ignore whatever your parents or anyone else told you about breathing through your mouth and just do it ! Nobody can tell you are :-) And you can move more air and it feels easier to breathe.

My nose is stuffy most of the time thanks to allergies. It feels stuffier when I wear a mask [I don't know if it actually IS, if it is the pressure on the nose from the mask, if it is just my imagination, or if it is some combo] and breathing through my mouth is DEFINITELY easier.

There are some different breathing exercises you can do to help relaxin and slow down your breathing. Plenty of good websites that have info, and even some apps. basically, deliberate conscious breathing in specific ways. And they don't have to take long... once you know to do them, a couple cycles standing in the grocery store aisle looking at the pasta sauces can often do wonders...

SW

A couple suggestions for working with the masks you have...

Every so often, take a couple slow deep breaths in and out. I find it sometimes kinf of resets whatever part of my brain has decided "this thing is hard to breathe in" to something like "we're good, I can breathe" and at least buys some time.

Breathe through your mouth. Ignore whatever your parents or anyone else told you about breathing through your mouth and just do it ! Nobody can tell you are :-) And you can move more air and it feels easier to breathe.

My nose is stuffy most of the time thanks to allergies. It feels stuffier when I wear a mask [I don't know if it actually IS, if it is the pressure on the nose from the mask, if it is just my imagination, or if it is some combo] and breathing through my mouth is DEFINITELY easier.

There are some different breathing exercises you can do to help relaxin and slow down your breathing. Plenty of good websites that have info, and even some apps. basically, deliberate conscious breathing in specific ways. And they don't have to take long... once you know to do them, a couple cycles standing in the grocery store aisle looking at the pasta sauces can often do wonders...

SW
Thanks so much... I’ll definitely give the breathing exercises a try!!!

My response is based more on a best guess than expensive experience using what I am about to recommend in summer [because pre-covid I used other masks most of the time, as discussed previously].

One option would be the traditional earloop pleated medical type masks like you used to be able to buy at a pharmacy OTC. They were all sold out but now seem to be coming back in stock, though not necessarily in the brands you are used to. See my previous post about those. They are lightweight and *ideally* you would just dispose of one and switch it out for a new one if it became too moist.

A little about two of the sun protective options based on my personal experience with the fabrics and companies for sun protective clothing reasons with light face covering. Note that these are two I am familiar with, have used for many years, and recommend, but there are other companies out there who make quality products, so these are just examples.

The first is Eclipse: https://eclipseglove.com/ Eclipse makes AMAZING sun protective gloves and sleeves and this is what I first started with of their products. I often wear them when driving, and **I wear them all day long during my WDW and DCL trips**. I can attest that whatever part of my arm is covered by the eclipse sleeve or glove and exposed to the sun is MUCH COOLER than any bare skin, both in "how it feels" as well a physical temp if you touch your hand to it [the proverbial hand to the forehead test only this is the hand to the arm or hand test]. It is amazing and wonderful and did I mention amazing ? It also wicks the sweat off quite effectively without the fabric getting wet. If you read the technical info about the fabric they use on their website, this is exactly how the fabric is supposed to work.

In addition to their sleeves/gloves, they have a fairly new range of clothing, and I have some pieces from that. They also have a neck gaiter, and I have one of those. I quite like the gaiter and have put it through a few uses, including snorkeling with it at Castaway Cay [I have a full face snorkeling mask, and I wore it as basically a hood around my head and tucked up against all around the mask, giving me excellent sun protection for my face and head and neck, which went along with my sun protective long sleeve rash guard and swim tights and socks - as you can see, I avoid the sun and use extensive sun protective clothing]. The gaiter can be worn in the style of a face covering and for my head at least it stays up well == they also have an adjustable version. Same material as the sleeves/gloves, so expect the same properties. I have worn it in FL all day as a neck gaiter providing neck protection and it was quite comfortable.

Next up is Coolibar: https://www.coolibar.com/ . Coolibar has an extensive range of sun protective clothing, from clothing to swimsuits to coverups to hats etc etc etc. I have quite a collection of their stuff, as does my sister, and we have been happy with every piece. They are a mainstay of our wardrobe for our WDW and DCL trips. They have a number of different products they use, each with its own weight and properties.

As an example, I have an earlier version of a hat of theirs that is similar to this one: https://www.coolibar.com/sun-hats/s...hlorine-resistant-ultra-sport-hat-upf-50.html On one of our trips I wore it for hours at Typhoon Lagoon in a December visit, temp in the 80s. It is wearable, but it does get hot under there. Because of the design, you can shift the fabric a bit and it will vent a bit. But while it is suited for a pool/water environment, you don't need the heaviness of that fabric for a day to day normal non pool environment.

If you search their site you will see they have a range of masks, gaiters, bandanas, and scarves made from a range of fabrics. Their site has good info on the technical qualities of the different fabrics they have.

SW
Thank you so much for your advise!

For fogging, I use an anti-fog liquid covering on my inner lenses. Not perfect and doesn't fix the fact there is an air gap, but does help.

For me personally, I prefer using the disposable masks if I can. Relatively comfortable and easy to swap out. I second the ear savers etc.. great way to add a little extra style too if you go on Etsy! While not the best filtering, the disposable ones are easy to replace and do a relatively good job of preventing major droplets. As someone who is immune compromised, I tend to wear my N95 masks in more densely populated indoor spaces, but prefer the medical masks when outside.

I saw on Amazon that they have cooling gaiters, very similar to the cooling towels. Has any of you had any experience with these? Worried about my elderly mom in September heat having to wear a mask all day.

I saw on Amazon that they have cooling gaiters, very similar to the cooling towels. Has any of you had any experience with these? Worried about my elderly mom in September heat having to wear a mask all day.

I have a couple of the Mission brand, which are cooling. Wore one to the greenhouse the other day and I think it was good. I like too that they are easy to move out of the way if you need to.

I have one, its not bad as a cooling element to be honest once you get it wet. It offers literally no protection from any type of droplets or contaminants, that said, if its used either in conjunction with another filter or just for periods to help cool down I think it would work. But if you are looking to use it as a replacement to help protect you and others it offers minimal protection.

I have one, its not bad as a cooling element to be honest once you get it wet. It offers literally no protection from any type of droplets or contaminants, that said, if its used either in conjunction with another filter or just for periods to help cool down I think it would work. But if you are looking to use it as a replacement to help protect you and others it offers minimal protection.

No mask (excluding the vent kind) is meant to protect you from droplets. They are meant to keep your own droplets to yourself. Even the surgical ones being worn out and about are not meant to keep you from "catching" anything. They are meant to keep you from infecting others.

I would just like to say-this is one of the most informative, instructive and useful threads I’ve ever read.
Thankyou ever so much.
the only downside is I’m in the U.K. and therefore can’t order the many amazing references made.
I’ve not been into a store or ventured back out into the real world since March.
I have the blue medical type masks for when I do, and have just ordered neck gaiters from amazon.

I would just like to say-this is one of the most informative, instructive and useful threads I’ve ever read.
Thankyou ever so much.
the only downside is I’m in the U.K. and therefore can’t order the many amazing references made.
I’ve not been into a store or ventured back out into the real world since March.
I have the blue medical type masks for when I do, and have just ordered neck gaiters from amazon.

Thank you !

Glad you were able to find masks. I hope they are working for you. Hopefully the gaiter will work too.

FYI, if you have an interest in the future, Cambridge Masks is out of the UK and ship from the UK. They do make a non-valve mask and at some point will be making them available for pre-order. Right now they just have the valved masks available for pre-order - last I checked the preorders placed now would ship in late August. (https://cambridgemask.com/)

Coolibar ships to the UK (https://www.coolibar.com/).

Thompson Tees ships to the UK (https://thompsontee.com/)

Can't speak to how long it would take to get there. I know the small number of orders I have done shipping from the US to here in Canada (all via postal service) have taken their time (weeks); since they were trackable I at least knew where they were, but they would go into these black holes and just *sit* for a week or more at a time somewhere then start moving again, no explanation...

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter