Insights on mask-wearing from those who already wore them "before" covid

Starwind

DIS Veteran
I'm deliberately keeping this in the Disabilities forum because you're generally a kinder lot than the wider forums, and I think it is more relevant here.

This is NOT//NOT a thread for debating weather people should be mask-wearing or the rules regarding mask-wearing, and such discussions are not welcome.

Rather...

For most people, mask wearing is new. At best, you may have had to wear a lightweight medical mask when visiting the doctor's office, particularly if you had a cough. However, for some of us here on the Dis and in the Disabilities forum in particular, mask-wearing has been part of our life for a while, possibly years, for any of a number of reasons. Immunocompromised. Severe asthma with environmental triggers. Severe allergies. MCS. The list of reasons goes on.

I am one of these people. I have been mask-wearing since the 1990's, though the extent has certainly changed over time. For nearly a decade now, from spring to the end of fall I wear a mask nearly every time I go outside. And I wear a mask nearly always when I am outside and often when inside on trips to WDW and on DCL cruises [we have done Disney trips Sept through Feb, though prefer December].

I thought it might be useful for those who are new to mask wearing -- whether comfortable with them or having issues or helping a family member who is or is epected to have issues -- with some tips and ideas and thoughts from the experience of those of us who have been "doing it" for a while.

The idea of this thread is POSITIVELY HELPING OTHERS. So lets keep it positive, please.

Some initial thoughts...

I have worn many different kinds of masks, and now with Covid and trying new ones again as my normal gotos are not available. Each has its pros and cons, and I certainly have bought some duds along the way. When it comes to cloth masks, whether commerically bought or homemade, there are a LOT of different designs, which means a lot of different ways the masks fit and materials they are made of. These all have an impact on the "feel" of the mask, both physically and psychologically. Some are close to the face, some have a fair bit of room in front of the face. Some use ear loops while others use ties. Even the design of the loops and ties can vary. Some have bendable nose pieces for a better fit - but what that is made out of and how big/long it is makes a difference too. Thick, thin. You get the idea. So a first step is finding a mask design that *works for you*. If a mask design doesn't work for you, try to figure out why ? Ear loops hurt your ears ? Try an ear loop extender or a design that uses ties instead. Also, many places [verify your local area] that require a mask allow for a "face covering", it doesn't have to be a "mask", so neck gaiters and scarves can work too and may be much more comfortable for some people. There isn't a guarantee that there is a covering that will work for everyone, but don't give up without trying some different options.

What the pro and cons of being comfortable wearing a type of mask and the the mask actually doing it’s job of keeping you safe ?

What the pro and cons of being comfortable wearing a type of mask and the the mask actually doing it’s job of keeping you safe ?

That is highly variable.

For example, the two reusable masks I normally prefer the most are lab tested as capable of N95 or N99 if they fit perfectly and are very comfortable to wear. They aren't cheap though, you're looking at ~$30-40 for one mask.

Also, most of the masks that the public will be wearing during the pandemic period are NOT N95+ and are therefore NOT intended to protect the person WEARING them from the covid virus, but rather to protect OTHERS from the person wearing the mask [because the wearer could be asymptomatic or presymptomatic and thus infectious but not know it because they have no symptoms; I make the assumtion that if if a person has symptoms they are isolating and thus not in public].

That said, wearing a non-n95+ mask may offer some level of protection to the wearer, but the science is undecided or simply unknown on that issue. And there are a lot of variables that complicate things.

The SmartAir website has a whole bunch of articles about masks. This one is a good starting point: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-diy-coronavirus-homemade-mask-material-covid/ This is the link to their articles tagged mask: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/category/masks/

In the bigger picture of mask-wearing in normal times, I find it is a balancing act of what you are trying to protect from and comfort. Obviously you need to choose a mask that is capable of protecting you from that which you need to be protected from [e.g. dust, particulates/smog, pollen, pathogens (and which ones)]. That will dictate the type of mask you are looking at in the first place.

But even if for the sake of argument we look just at say 3M's N95, N99, N100 lines of masks, they have a range of different styles. Valves, no valves, padded, not padded, different strap designs, different designs for what is in front of your face -- e.g. it is collapsible or not, etc. All those things factor in to comfort. Of course, they come at a cost, too. The simple basic one is much less expensive than the "cadillac" version with a padded nose area that is collapsible and has a vent. So they are all n95, but there is a range of what is available.

Also, while some aspects of "comfort" are quite physical [e.g. wearing a medical n95 mask if it fits properly is going to leave temporary dents in your skin and put pressure on the top of your nose, and if worn hour and hour day after day can cause skin damage in the friction areas; ear loops can tug on ears and irritate the skin; etc], some of it is mental and is about getting used to the thing and some of it is a hybrid.

An example...

Twice in the last two weeks I have had to wear an N95 mask. When I first put it on, my brain registered that it is a bit restrictive and the brain increased my breathing rate. As a severe asthmatic I am quite conscious of changes in my breathing, so I immediately noticed this change. I knew there was no danger so I decided to see what would happen. Within minutes my breathing was back to normal with one exception: my nose is always stuffed up due to allergies [even with loads of medication], and between the extra humidity in the mask and the pressure from the mask on my nose my nose either got more stuffed up or at least it FELT more stuffed up and my brain had shifted me to breathing just through my mouth [which for me happens on a rather regular basis with no mask thanks to stuffy nose so was no big deal]. So for the three hours I wore the mask that first day and the two the next time, I had to mouth breathe inside the mask. For me, not an issue. It may be weird for someone not used it to though. So, once the brain figured out "breathing through this mask is fine" it adjusted back to essentially normal+modification and was happy. If I had decided "this is too uncomfortable" and bailed right away, I wouldn't have had the chance to adapt and learn that it was fine to wear for the situation I was in; but I had to give it that adapting time.

That is highly variable.

For example, the two reusable masks I normally prefer the most are lab tested as capable of N95 or N99 if they fit perfectly and are very comfortable to wear. They aren't cheap though, you're looking at ~$30-40 for one mask.

Also, most of the masks that the public will be wearing during the pandemic period are NOT N95+ and are therefore NOT intended to protect the person WEARING them from the covid virus, but rather to protect OTHERS from the person wearing the mask [because the wearer could be asymptomatic or presymptomatic and thus infectious but not know it because they have no symptoms; I make the assumtion that if if a person has symptoms they are isolating and thus not in public].

That said, wearing a non-n95+ mask may offer some level of protection to the wearer, but the science is undecided or simply unknown on that issue. And there are a lot of variables that complicate things.

The SmartAir website has a whole bunch of articles about masks. This one is a good starting point: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-diy-coronavirus-homemade-mask-material-covid/ This is the link to their articles tagged mask: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/category/masks/

In the bigger picture of mask-wearing in normal times, I find it is a balancing act of what you are trying to protect from and comfort. Obviously you need to choose a mask that is capable of protecting you from that which you need to be protected from [e.g. dust, particulates/smog, pollen, pathogens (and which ones)]. That will dictate the type of mask you are looking at in the first place.

But even if for the sake of argument we look just at say 3M's N95, N99, N100 lines of masks, they have a range of different styles. Valves, no valves, padded, not padded, different strap designs, different designs for what is in front of your face -- e.g. it is collapsible or not, etc. All those things factor in to comfort. Of course, they come at a cost, too. The simple basic one is much less expensive than the "cadillac" version with a padded nose area that is collapsible and has a vent. So they are all n95, but there is a range of what is available.

Also, while some aspects of "comfort" are quite physical [e.g. wearing a medical n95 mask if it fits properly is going to leave temporary dents in your skin and put pressure on the top of your nose, and if worn hour and hour day after day can cause skin damage in the friction areas; ear loops can tug on ears and irritate the skin; etc], some of it is mental and is about getting used to the thing and some of it is a hybrid.

An example...

Twice in the last two weeks I have had to wear an N95 mask. When I first put it on, my brain registered that it is a bit restrictive and the brain increased my breathing rate. As a severe asthmatic I am quite conscious of changes in my breathing, so I immediately noticed this change. I knew there was no danger so I decided to see what would happen. Within minutes my breathing was back to normal with one exception: my nose is always stuffed up due to allergies [even with loads of medication], and between the extra humidity in the mask and the pressure from the mask on my nose my nose either got more stuffed up or at least it FELT more stuffed up and my brain had shifted me to breathing just through my mouth [which for me happens on a rather regular basis with no mask thanks to stuffy nose so was no big deal]. So for the three hours I wore the mask that first day and the two the next time, I had to mouth breathe inside the mask. For me, not an issue. It may be weird for someone not used it to though. So, once the brain figured out "breathing through this mask is fine" it adjusted back to essentially normal+modification and was happy. If I had decided "this is too uncomfortable" and bailed right away, I wouldn't have had the chance to adapt and learn that it was fine to wear for the situation I was in; but I had to give it that adapting time.

Hi, Starwind. Thank you.

I really enjoyed reading your info.

Last edited:

What are these masks that you prefer? Those sound interesting. Thanks for sharing this great info with us - mask wearing has definitely been a challenge!

Last edited:

I ended up having an asthma attack using a bandana folder in half on the angle and tied due to the warmth and moisture of my breath (in an air conditioned store not even in 5 minutes when it was remove so I could breath normally and hopefully stop the attack as I have not had problems with my asthma since summer 2017 when we had several severe fires in my area minus the rare times a cat decides you want to have me in your mouth don't you human so I did not have it with me) masks are recommended but not required in my area. I do not have a lot of funds to try different masks or face coverings so need some ideas (tried the bandana folded into a mask using hair ties-don't know how that would work with my breathing as my ears are such that the second I put it on I had the hair bands flying across the room so would more in likely need something that can be fastened not over the ears)
Looking at getting something in case we find out they are going to be required at our fair after the youth program my kids are in registration deadline. At this time we know that the junior livestock show that exhibitors must be in one of two youth organizations (one is high school only through the schools) and the one organization has been approved for exhibiting non animal projects. Haven't heard on the one that is high school only though the non animals for that one is crops grown in the area: corn, barley, wheat, sugar beets, as well as wool have been approved by the county health inspector who has the final say in my area on the fair happening or not. Open livestock, Open Crops, Open Wool (crops and wool together take up a whopping 2 8 ft long tables and the corn behind one table), heritage arts (stuff like sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, ect), arts (photography, painting, pottery, ect), school and group (read daycare) art at this time we do not know the status nor do we know if vendors will be allowed and how many of them. Information we are getting are there may be a priority of local food truck style businesses in order to have some food options and to space people out from the fairground owned locations in a couple of the buildings for vendors and that pens will be set up where some of the carnival rides and vendor booths are normally in order to move some of the animals outside and put more spacing. We are still in a wait and see mode I also do not know if masks will be required and want to be ready in case that is the situation as my kids will have a few things they are doing that I will need to be present for-I really don't need to pass out and hit my head on the concrete that make up the floors of the buildings.

I ended up having an asthma attack using a bandana folder in half on the angle and tied due to the warmth and moisture of my breath (in an air conditioned store not even in 5 minutes when it was remove so I could breath normally and hopefully stop the attack as I have not had problems with my asthma since summer 2017 when we had several severe fires in my area minus the rare times a cat decides you want to have me in your mouth don't you human so I did not have it with me) masks are recommended but not required in my area. I do not have a lot of funds to try different masks or face coverings so need some ideas (tried the bandana folded into a mask using hair ties-don't know how that would work with my breathing as my ears are such that the second I put it on I had the hair bands flying across the room so would more in likely need something that can be fastened not over the ears)
Looking at getting something in case we find out they are going to be required at our fair after the youth program my kids are in registration deadline. At this time we know that the junior livestock show that exhibitors must be in one of two youth organizations (one is high school only through the schools) and the one organization has been approved for exhibiting non animal projects. Haven't heard on the one that is high school only though the non animals for that one is crops grown in the area: corn, barley, wheat, sugar beets, as well as wool have been approved by the county health inspector who has the final say in my area on the fair happening or not. Open livestock, Open Crops, Open Wool (crops and wool together take up a whopping 2 8 ft long tables and the corn behind one table), heritage arts (stuff like sewing, quilting, knitting, crochet, ect), arts (photography, painting, pottery, ect), school and group (read daycare) art at this time we do not know the status nor do we know if vendors will be allowed and how many of them. Information we are getting are there may be a priority of local food truck style businesses in order to have some food options and to space people out from the fairground owned locations in a couple of the buildings for vendors and that pens will be set up where some of the carnival rides and vendor booths are normally in order to move some of the animals outside and put more spacing. We are still in a wait and see mode I also do not know if masks will be required and want to be ready in case that is the situation as my kids will have a few things they are doing that I will need to be present for-I really don't need to pass out and hit my head on the concrete that make up the floors of the buildings.

Sorry you ended up having an asthma attack. I know many asthmatics, including myself, who have no problems wearing masks, so it is sad to hear when someone does.

This is instructions and a pattern for making a low cost New Sew Cloth Mask. You can make it from an old cotton t-shirt or pillowcase or tight weave cotton fabric you may have laying around (e.g. quilting fat quarter) and don't need to use the optional glue (I would suggest in your case you probably don't use the glue). One of the nice things about this pattern is the fabric is its own ear loops, so no need for elastics or ties :-) And being that it is made of an old tshirt it is easy to wash and care for. See: https://jennifermaker.com/no-sew-face-mask-tshirt/

That website also has other info on making masks as well as instructions and patterns for a couple of other styles, both of which involve sewing.

If you want to purchase a reusable mask that is low cost, I purchased a number of these when they first became available. Being in Canada they took their time getting here thanks to postal delays between the US and Canada, but if you are in the US they should be a lot quicker [and US domestic shipping on the masks is free if you order at least 3 masks]. Made in the USA, 100% cotton, VERY soft including the ear loops. I have worn them a number of times and quite like them. $5.99 each so the price is quite reasonable. https://thompsontee.com/face-masks

Finally, the CDC seems to have removed the instructions for a new sew tshirt method from their website but this article has the instructions: https://dailyhive.com/seattle/how-to-make-cloth-face-masks-cdc Different style than the first one I provided a link for, as this one uses the tshirt material to also make integrated behind-the-head ties.

Another option is buying traditional style face masks from a trusted retailor, either online or in their store. So I checked the Walgreens website and they have THREE different masks for sale, two of them under the Walgreens brand. One is out of stock online but may be in stores, the other two are AVAILABLE ONLINE:

This is the one out of stock online: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-face-mask,-cone-style/ID=prod6172910-product

This is an earlopp facemask, Walgreens brand, box of 20, available online and maybe in stores: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-earloop-face-masks-small/ID=prod6208055-product

This is an earloop facemask, some unknown brand, box of 50, available online and in stores [eg the website says they have them in stock at the Walgreens nearest me]: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/excellence-single-use-face-mask/ID=300401395-product

Walmart has their store brand (Equate) earloop face masks for sale online: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Earloop-Disposable-Facemasks-20-count/745929347

Note there are a lot of fly-by-night places selling masks online right now, and online fraud involving PPE is a "thing", see https://www.ic3.gov/media/2020/200320.aspx . That is why I recommend going with a trusted supplier for traditional style face masks [well, and be cautious if you are going to buy cloth ones, too -- I bought from Thompson Tee because I had purchased their tshirts before and been on their email list and followed their FB for many years so knew they were already a legit company, so I had that trust factor].

So check with your local pharmacy [online or in store; you can call them and ask if they have masks, you don't need to visit to find out; my sister works in a retail pharmacy and they get that call multiple times a day -- unfortunately at her location the answer is they have none in stock] and see what they have in stock.

Pre-covid I really liked the Flents brand earloop masks I would get at Walmart.

An end point, regardless of the mask type you choose: one of the keys I have found with mask-wearing is to wear it at home to practice with it for an extended period, more than once if needed. Get used to it. Get used to breathing with it - and let your breathing settle down with it [because most people when they first put on a mask their breathing will increase and they will become consciously aware of their breathing which tends to mess it up further... but usually if you just sit and relax and self-talk yourself and let it naturally resolve you go back to breathing pretty normally; sometimes people don't relax and they end up hyperventilating and cause themselves problems; other times the mask just is not compatible with a pre-existing medical condition]. With your clean mask and freshly washed hands, in the safety of your house, play with the darn thing - readjust it if needed, adjust it until it is comfy for you. Sit and read, browse the internet, watch a movie. If needed, distract yourself and let your body naturally adjust to wearing it [it will if you don't let your conscious brain override it, which has a tendency to mess things up since people are not used to consciously breathing or even being consciouly aware of breathing].

I have several styles of cloth masks at home now and with each of them have sat in my bedroom reading emails and browsing the Dis and internet and sitting watching TV or a movie [Disney+ !!} while wearing it, to get used to that particular mask. It is a great way to do it because you are calmly sitting doing no exertion and doing something (hopefulyl enjoyable) which distracts your conscious brain, buying you time for your brain (the "lizard brain" as someone noted in another thread) time to adapt and clue in that the mask is basically "all good, nothing to see here". Once that is mastered, if still concerned up the activity level in a safe way -- do housework, cook, do some light exercise. You could stage it up again by doing walking loops outside in your backyard or driveway [so you are still at home] or a short walk around a short block, then longer walks if needed [paced, we're not talking speed walking!!]. Sensible baby steps designed to ensure you are comfortable with the mask in various situations, but done progressively so you don't overdo it too quickly. And done in the safety of ones home where you can always take the thing off if needed, and have medications on hand worst case.

Hope this helps.

SW

I would like to know how to keep my glasses from fogging.

I've tried a gauze pad on the bridge of my nose - it absorbs some of the moisture and keeps the glasses clear for the most part.

For ear fatigue, I've purchased a softer cord elastic, and I have the ends tied like a surgical mask, not around the ears. I made some double layer batik fabric masks, and they are very lightweight and comfortable.

I have purchased many different types, figuring if the ones on my ears hurt after a few days, I could switch it up. I have two that tie on, a mickey mouse one that goes over my ears, a new box (just came in the mail) of the blue medical looking ones, and a couple of the neck gaiter types. I got two different brands of those, and they do fit differently.

Good advice to be careful who you buy from. I bought a cute Mickey Mouse one from Etsy, and the way they put the ear straps on make it unwearable.

I would like to know how to keep my glasses from fogging.

Ha ! So, that is a challenge.

Fundamentally, the glasses fog because there is a "leak" somewhere that is letting air vent up to the glasses. You notice it more when there is a good temperature difference between the temp of your glasses and the temp of your breath. So, for example, you get the same problem in the dead of winter wearing a scarf -- and when it is really cold that "fog" will actually freeze to ice on the glasses... so much fun...

For healthcare workers wearing an N95 mask in an environment where they are at high exposure risk, that leak is a serious problem, because what leaks out leaks in [air flows out will also flow in through that leak].

For the rest of us, the risk profile isn't nearly the same. Still a way for contaminated air to get behind the mask, yes, but with non-N95 masks there are lots of other ways too. Regardless, it is really really annoying.

The first things to try for tackling fogging are adjusting the fit of the mask (this tries to reduce or remove the leak) and the placement of the eyeglasses (this tries to get the glasses out of the line of fire of the leak so the air doesn't hit the glasses to create the fog) (note: sometimes success is measures by just one lens being fogged or by a lens(s) only being partly fogged so you can still see around it, which may be functional depending on what you are doing (eg grocery shopping yes, driving or surgery no!):

- adjust the mask fit, wiggle it around a bit

- adjust the nose band -- is it properly adjusted - it should be gently formed down around the nose [I see a lot of people wearing the blue traditional masks that are not wearing it correctly because they did NOT form down the nose piece - don't forget that step!]

(if you wear eyeglasses you will almost certainly need a mask that has an adjustable nose band; people without eyeglasses still get all the leaking, they just usually don't notice it because nothing to fog onto!)

- make sure the bottom of the lenses of your glasses rest ON TOP of the top of the mask fabric. If they rest under it on your skin you pretty much WILL get fog. The weight of the glasses will help hold the mask down against your skin and help seal leaks.

- slide your glasses a bit further down your nose, creating a little bit more space between your eyes and the glasses [this may be problematic for people with eg bifocal or progressives, but sometimes you can get used to it you just have to adjust your focus points a bit]

- warm up your glasses. :-) Ok, you don't have much control over this, but a large part of the fogging is because of the temperature differential between the glasses and the warm air you are breathing out. When the temps are close together you won't see fogging (the leak is still happening, you just don't see the evidence of it) So nice A/C cold glasses with nice warm breath = fog; nice winter outside cold glasses with warm breath = fog (and maybe ice).

If those steps don't work, you may need to try some additional tricks.

Do a google search for

prevent mask fog eyeglasses

You will get a whole nunch of hits. Probably stick with the more reputable ones, major news outlets, academia, government, and academic publications.

Note: Many suggest a soap and water technique. I have NOT tried this for a couple reasons. ONE, I have very expensive progressive lens glasses with several coatings on them and I have NO idea what effect leaving a soap film on them might have and I don't want to find out the hard way it could be harmful to the lenses or their coatings. TWO, I have highly sensitive skin and soap residues on my skin, clothing, sheets, towels, etc cause me rashes; I am not willing to risk my glasses causing me issues -- I already have to be very careful about what the frames are made out to to prevent rashes from the frame material [part of why they are so $]. YMMV.

Here are some to start you off:

Good Housekeeping. "How to Avoid Foggy Glasses When Wearing a Face Mask, According to an Ophthalmologist", https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/a32239755/stop-foggy-glasses-with-face-mask/

NPR: "How To Prevent Glasses From Fogging Up While Wearing A Mask", https://www.npr.org/2020/05/08/853009325/how-to-prevent-glasses-from-fogging-up-while-wearing-a-mask

AARP. "Face Masks Can Prove Tricky for Those With Eyeglasses", https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/eyewear-face-masks.html

CNN. "How to stop your glasses from fogging up when you wear a mask", https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/health/how-to-de-fog-glasses-wearing-mask-wellness-trnd/index.html

CTV News. "How to stop your glasses from fogging up when you wear a mask", https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/ho...rom-fogging-up-when-you-wear-a-mask-1.4929263

Ann R Coll Surg Engl. "A simple method to prevent spectacle lenses misting up on wearing a face mask", https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3293317/
PDF: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3293317/pdf/rcse9302-168b.pdf

The New York Times. "Help! My Mask Fogs My Glasses", https://www.nytimes.com/article/glasses-fog-wearing-mask-coronavirus.html

Inside Edition. "Tips for Dealing with Foggy Glasses While Wearing a Mask",

The National. "How to wear a face mask without fogging up your glasses",

Good luck !

SW

What are these masks that you prefer? Those sound interesting. Thanks for sharing this great info with us - mask wearing has definitely been a challenge!

For PRE-COVID life, my preferred ones were:

Cambridge Mask https://cambridgemask.com/

Vogmask https://www.vogmask.com/

I have used Vogmask the longest as they have been around the longest, starting with their original microfibre no vent design and "moving up" as they came out with new styles including ones with one vent, two vents, organic cotton, etc. I think I have pretty much tried all their styles and several different patterns.

Vogmask masks are made in South Korea and the SK put an export ban on masks, which the Vogmasks fell under. According to their FB page, while they are producing them, they are prohibited from exporting them. They are trying to get that issue resolved, since their masks are not medical masks, but so far have not been able to, which means they do not have a date for when they will be able to ship any. They are not taking pre-orders right now. Pre-pandemic I have ordered from them via their Amazon store and their direct website with no problems.

My understanding is one of the major players in Vogmask at some point left Vogmask and started Cambridge Masks. The masks are similar but there are several differences. Both websites give good overviews of their own products. I found this online review which compares the masks from two: https://breathesafeair.com/cambridge-mask-vs-vogmask/

I have used Cambridge Masks for a number of years and quite like them too, especially the adjustible ear loops. They are taking preorders and have been slowly shipping in batches ["waves"] as they get shipments in. Right now I believe the preorders they are taking are expected to ship in a wave in late August. To streamline, they are only selling one model in one colour right now. I havent done a preorder but am considering it, so I can't speak to having actually received product right now; I have ordered from them pre-pandemic with no problems both via their Amazon store and direct website.

For covid times though, the vented masks [by any manufacturer, from 3M n95s to these ones to others -- anyone with a vent!] are a problem. The intent of the vent is to make the mask more comfortable for the wearer because it vents out a chunk of your warm humid exhaled air through the vent, getting it out of the mask and reducing the amount of humidity build-up in the mask [since it goes through the vent easier than through the mask material it doesn't build up as much]. This is GREAT for wearer comfort. It is pretty much necessary for some of the technical masks used for aerobic sports like running and cycling.

But THE VENT DOES NOT FILTER THE EXHALED AIR.

While in covid times this defeats the purpose of wearing a mask TO PROTECT OTHERS **FROM** THE WEARER.

Yes, the vent will direct the air off to the side or down, and its airflow pattern is NOT the same as if you had no mask. But still, it is unfiltered air going out of the mask.

So what I have seen online is people who are using vented masks during the pandemic is many of them are taping over the valve so that the valve is rendered inactivated and all exhaled air is forced through the mask. It does make a difference in breathing through the mask as there is a chunk of mask real estate that is closed off and the mask is engineered to be used with the vent. I have tried it and for me the biggest difference is the amount of humidity that builds up. There is also more breathing resistance with the taped valve vs without [again, less real estate]. Also, you can hear your breath hitting against the taped valve (I taped it on the inside), so it is a bit noisy to the wearer where before it is pretty much silent.

Both Vogmask and Cambridge Mask do sell non-valve masks, but as noted above right now you can't buy them.

A final note about both companies -- they are encountering a LOT of problems with COUNTERFEITERS / SCAMMERS online. Websites made to look like theirs, people selling fake ones on eBay, social media, etc. There were issues with fake ones on Amazon but Amazon has halted sales of that type of mask entirely I think. See for example this notice on the Cambridge Mask website: https://cambridgemask.com/scam-notice/ The links I gave above are to their actual official sites.

And finally, these masks work for me. My doctors are ok with me wearing them. They are NOT a simple dust mask (I have those too). I began wearing these MANY YEARS AGO, in consultation with my doctor, for specific reasons (initially: severe asthma triggered by environmental allergens + environmental allergies; and I was living in Texas where the allergies were just horrible!). Over time the reasons grew. They are not suitable for everyone and wearing them should not be taken lightly or without a lot of consideration, and if wearing it for/due to a medical condition, consultation with your doctor.

SW

I've tried a gauze pad on the bridge of my nose - it absorbs some of the moisture and keeps the glasses clear for the most part.

For ear fatigue, I've purchased a softer cord elastic, and I have the ends tied like a surgical mask, not around the ears. I made some double layer batik fabric masks, and they are very lightweight and comfortable.

I have read putting gauze pads or even folded Kleenex/facial tissue at the top of the mask can help with the fogging by absorbing some of the moisture.

For ears, there are a slew of ways to "extend" the ear loops, from jury-rigged paper clips, to headbands with buttons to 3D printed extenders to knit with buttons extenders. Basically, people are getting pretty creative in finding ways to pull the ear loops off the ears :-)

One of my problems with ear loops and prolonged wear is that I wear both eyeglasses AND specially-tinted sunglasses over top of them [when outside of the house that is both indoors and out], so that is a lot of "real estate" going over top of my ears already [there are permanent dents in the tissue above and behind my ears from wearing glasses all my life!], and adding ear loops to the mix makes it pretty complicated. Some loops are just too think and fall off my ears ! Plus any but the thinnest tend to pull my ears forward and then slowly over lots of hours may slip if I am not careful. So I sometimes have to adjust the ear loops [fortunately I have worn them long enough I have trained myself to hand sanitize before and after and not just reach up unless one is in danger of suddenly slipping off, which is rarely the case].

Both Vogmask and Cambridge Mask make nice extenders and I have also juryrigged one of my own using a Nite Ize 6" Gear Tie® Reusable Rubber Twist Tie™ (https://www.niteize.com/product/Gear-Tie-6.asp).

SW

For PRE-COVID life, my preferred ones were:

Cambridge Mask https://cambridgemask.com/

Vogmask https://www.vogmask.com/

Thanks for all of that great information! I had wondered about the ones with air vents - if they had some dial you could turn to shut that part off for example. Probably not since the mask is made to be worn with the vent working. None of the ones I have currently have a vent. I have rosacea that can get really bad and wearing a mask can make it feel like my face is on fire after about 5 minutes. :scared: In my limited experience I've found that masks which set away from my face a bit are more comfortable - of course a thinner one feels better also. We have a used N95 mask that is old (one of my kids used it about 10 years ago for awhile when making a pinewood derby car and it got put back in the box). I found it and have tried wearing that one. It sets far away and is rigid which is good - but it does start to feel very humid on my face. Of course we cannot buy that type right now.

Thanks for all of that great information! I had wondered about the ones with air vents - if they had some dial you could turn to shut that part off for example. Probably not since the mask is made to be worn with the vent working. None of the ones I have currently have a vent. I have rosacea that can get really bad and wearing a mask can make it feel like my face is on fire after about 5 minutes. :scared: In my limited experience I've found that masks which set away from my face a bit are more comfortable - of course a thinner one feels better also. We have a used N95 mask that is old (one of my kids used it about 10 years ago for awhile when making a pinewood derby car and it got put back in the box). I found it and have tried wearing that one. It sets far away and is rigid which is good - but it does start to feel very humid on my face. Of course we cannot buy that type right now.

Yeah, the vent is "always on" as it were.

I find wide waterproof medical tape placed across it on the inside of the mask works effectively to seal it without damaging the valve itself [just because of how the valves on mine are designed; easier to seal it from the inside than the outside; and the design protects the "flapper" a bit so tape can be put on and off without hitting the flapper which is the valve proper]. Other masks eg a 3M one I have with a valve have different designs and might need to be sealed differently.

I understand the set away form your face issue. The Cambridge and Vogmask valved masks both set away from your face, though IME my Cambridge masks more so. Their touchpoints are primarily their outer edges, much like an N95 type mask, though they are a soft cloth. That said, more of the fabric is touching your face than with an N95 -- with an N95 after a period of wearing it you have much more fine indents than with a long period of wearing a Cambridge mask, for example...

You might have success with the disposable earloop medical style masks that are increasingly available now. See my post above with links on where to get them.

Although they are against your face, they actually "tent" a bit, and will tent out when you breath out, which means they don't "sit" against your face continually, which some of the heavier homemade cloth masks will. Also, the material they are made out of tends to not be irritating for most people [this is where buying from a reputable company is VERY important !!!! don't cheap out!!].

And, although they are now more expensive than they used to be pre-covid, they are still cheap enough that if they get too moist you can quickly ditch one and put another one on [remember - clean your hands before taking off / putting on !!].

SW

One of my problems with ear loops and prolonged wear is that I wear both eyeglasses AND specially-tinted sunglasses over top of them [when outside of the house that is both indoors and out], so that is a lot of "real estate" going over top of my ears already [there are permanent dents in the tissue above and behind my ears from wearing glasses all my life!], and adding ear loops to the mix makes it pretty complicated.

SW

There was something on FB about using buttons on the earpiece of glasses to loop the ear loops on - The buttons were the 4 hole kind, with a little hair elastic to hold them on. Something like this: https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/i...wear-glasses-heres-why-i-wouldnt-recommend-it but with the buttons behind the ears (which is why it doesn't work well for her - her buttons are too far forward)

There was something on FB about using buttons on the earpiece of glasses to loop the ear loops on - The buttons were the 4 hole kind, with a little hair elastic to hold them on. Something like this: https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/i...wear-glasses-heres-why-i-wouldnt-recommend-it but with the buttons behind the ears (which is why it doesn't work well for her - her buttons are too far forward)

I definitely agree with her that that hack doesn't work because the mask is way too loose as a result.

I have played with a few options to pull the earloops so they aren't yanking on the backs of the ears, but they still have to ride over the tops of the ears, which for me is there the lack of real estate problem is.

But the various "ear loop extenders" are AWESOME for solving the problem of the earloops pulling on the ear as a whole, which even if it isn't a problem for a short duration (for some people it is even for that) for many hours of wear it often starts to be. It is just a matter of finding one that works for the individual.

If I only had the eyeglases to worry about it would not be as much a problem; throwing in the over-the-glasses-sunglasses complicates the issue quite a bit.

SW

Thank you for all of your great information and advice! I found the thread searching the DIS for information about masks.

Do you recommend one kind of mask over another that is easy to breathe through in the summer? I'm looking for something to wear outside this summer since I don't think that mask-wearing will stop anytime soon. I have a couple of homemade masks made with regular cotton fabric (one with Chicago Cubs logos!) that I use while shopping, but once I leave the store I find them to be pretty hot. It's not ever really hot here in Wisconsin yet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter