• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Insects in May

Fantasia Sam

I've been here so much longer!
We had nice weather here over the Easter Weekend but I got bitten on the face 4 times by I don't know what - but when I killed it the next morning in the bedroom it seemed to squish out blood- yuk

My question is this - as I am obviously "sweet meat" ;) what is the insect situation like in WDW in May?

Thanks

You'll find a large amount of "Lovebugs" present in April / May time. These insects are called this by locals as they fly round in pairs! The good news however is they do not bite, just plaster the front of the car!

Hope this helps:) :)

We've been to WDW at various times of the year, Feb., May, Sept. Oct. and Dec. and we've never had a problem with insects at the parks. I think I've only seen a butterfly and maybe an ant or two but usually, we don't encounter any flying insects. Maybe I'm just not sweet enough but I would say you won't have a problem. As for the love bugs, I don't recall seeing those in the parks either. They will, however, plaster themselves all over you car and are acidic. If left on for any lenght of time, they can eat the finish of your car. I believe I'm stating this correctly. We drove from Orlando to Miami one September and the front of the vehicle was just covered with them, including the windshield. They're almost impossible to wash off without a lot of elbow grease. We drove our own van and we can still see little spots on the paint where they were. They only occure in the spring and fall, I believe. You should do ok in the parks. Have fun.

We have been there many times and a couple of times in May and have never been bitten. Yet, like you, we are targets in this country. Odd thing is that you don't see many at all in the parks - the rumour is that Disney etc spray something in the air :smooth:

If you stay at a villa you will also see lots of the bugs - they are very attracted to water which is why most villas have very useful screens that go around the pool areas.

You will be fine :D

I stayed at All Stars resort in August 98 and was up very early each morning (5am) and most mornings I saw groundstaff spraying the grass and bushes. We were not bothered by insects at all on Disney property, however I was bitten very badly when we did a day trip to kennedy Space center. (We did also see a lot of frogs and tiny lizards at our hotel which is a surpeize if there are no insects!)

We have been at various times of the year (Feb, March, April, July, Aug) and
have (almost) never been bitten, despite me also being "sweet meat"!!
I have heard that Disney carries out ariel (?) spraying at night. You will need
to avoid any areas of still water though. The one time I was bitten (though not badly)
was whilst playing mini golf at a place on the 192 in the evening.

Hi Sam :wave:

Not long to go now! We went in May 99 and I didn't get bitten at all, but DID get a heat rash (not good in the heat!). Yet in this country I only have to go out and walk on the lawn and something gets me!

I think from reading on the DIS that there has been quite a problem with Mozzies lately, lots of people got bitten even in December (I think Penny got bitten, or maybe I'm wrong, it was somebody on the UK DIS) so I would take something with me just in case. Skin So Soft in Woodland Fresh from Avon is supposed to be very good, might be worth getting some as a precaution.

Well, there weren't <i>supposed</i> to be any bugs there in December (there wasn't the time we went before) but they definately was last year! Little beggars FEASTED on me :(

I guess it depends on the how the weather conditions have been previously...

Take something with you just incase, if you have to buy insect repellant on site, it costs a fortune...trust me on this :rolleyes:

Penny :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter