Injured-should we still go?

How are they getting around? Can they stay in line in an ECV or does it have to be parked and they stand while waiting in line. I’d rather not use a wheelchair-then I really can’t do anything on my own.

They are using a combo of a motorized wheelchair and she can stand *some*.

Last summer my dad used an ECV and he was able to take it in many of the lines all the way up to the front.

I had to rent a wheelchair for my DD when we went to Universal after she broke her ankle when she was 10 (2 days before we left on the trip). We did everything that we wanted to do and she didn't suffer for anything. We took her crutches so she could get onto rides. It was no issue. It was delivered to the resort and waiting for us upon arrival.

Rented a wheelchair for my Mom the last time we were at MK. Mom was hobbling in with a sore hip from the walking she did the previous 2 days. We rented a Disney wheelchair for her (I didn't want to spend for the ECV) and between me, my niece and nephew, we pushed her and by that evening, she wanted to push me. I told her to stay seated so she could walk the next day. Again, we did everything that we wanted to do.

I rented a scooter for my sister when we went to Washington, DC. The only issue we had with that is that it had a very short battery life. We learned that in the National Archives when she ran out of juice. After speaking to the company (and a threat to call American Express) they delivered a new battery to us and we kept moving.

The greatest thing about having a chair is that you can take bags with water bottles and no one has to carry them.

I hope you heal faster than you expect and that your trip is magical and that you have a great story about the time you went to Disney with your 2 bad legs.

Get yourself over to the DISabilities board on this forum. The folks there are really friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. They'll be able to tell you all the ins and outs of using a scooter around WDW.
We went with my dad in a scooter a few years ago, and we had a great time.

Yep. It’s a mess! I think we’re going and I’m so happy we rented a 2BR at OKW so I have a living area separate from where DGD sleeps. I have the feeling that we will all go to the park in early am, have lunch, leave and go back for nap/rest. Then it’s swimming(for them), dinner, and bed. If DH and DD want to go back out for late evening at a park, they go and I rest while DGD sleeps.

I love this idea! I would go and see how much I can actually do and then roll with it. :) I would be in the mindset that I'd be at the resort alot of the time and anything else I'm able to do would be a bonus. Heal well.... :)

If you decide on the scooter, many people recommend trying one at lowes or homedepot.....nice wide aisles ....just to get a feel for driving them. I'm sure others can get some tips on usage.

If not, and if your doctors say it’s OK to go, then I would rent an ECV and go. Your trip will be different than what you expected, but it can still be fun. Sometimes the best memories happen when the plans go out the window.

That’s true! When I really think about it, going with the 2.5 year old DGD was already crazy so how bad could this new development be? Right? I mean, it’s gone from crazy to completely insane at this point, so may as well just roll with it...

I think that's a good idea. It will be a different kind of trip for you, for sure, but at least you can still go if you do decide to go. That's the attitude we had this year, too, when my mother fractured her hip and had a replacement with long recovery prior to our trip. We weren't sure she (or we) would make it, either. She did eventually get the blessings of her orthopedic team, with one stipulation. I'm not going to say what that is. But I think it would be wise for you to discuss it with your team first, as well. (My mother's surgery was almost two and a half months before our trip, though, and she was all done with rehab and PT and visiting nurses and all that.)

Having a wheelchair isn't so bad. We did wait in some lines with it, but you have to be able to get out of it sometimes in advance of the ride (they told us due to fire regulations), hold on to either people or railings if you need help getting to the ride itself, or be able to lower into the ride. (Thinking of Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan's Flight, Test Track, Pirates, etc.) Rides that you can roll the wheelchair right onto are nice, but there aren't too many of those.

:thanks: Thanks for the info!

You won't be able to re-schedule rented points, so I agree you should go and make the most of it. You'll likely be able to do more than you think, and even if you couldn't, sitting around at Disney is still better than sitting around at home - you'll be out the same amount of money regardless!

DH walked all over Disney and Universal last summer with a torn ACL. He had a full length leg brace on. He rode most everything, save for one ride at Universal that he couldn't fit in with the brace. You have a lot of good suggestions here, so hopefully it works out for the best. Best wishes!

Go and be the volunteer bag holder while everyone else is on rides. You’ll be missing the ride experience, but still getting park time with your family.

That’s true. Originally I was in charge of the stroller while the others went on things I don’t care to do. I’ll be at 5 weeks in the air cast by then so I may be fine to do some stroller pushing. Right now, less than a week after the break, I’m still on crutches and Right now I can’t even imagine walking much less stroller pushing at Disney.

I just returned from a long weekend trip. Hot as hades, and people I saw at WDW...

1)A girl, about 13-14 years old in a wheelchair with not ONE but BOTH arms in a cast up to her shoulders.
2) A little boy with a trache, on a ventilator! We were in a 75 minute line for the safari at Animal Kingdom.
3) a teenager in a leg boot

Handicapped people go to WDW, and they have fun. Just be aware you will need to rest more, not over do it, and I agree with getting an ECV rental outside WDW. Many companies will deliver to your resort. All of the line at WDW are wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs. So you may sit in the chair while waiting in line.

:thanks: Thank you for giving me some perspective. I needed to hear that others go with far worse situations than mine-I’m counting my blessings right now!

WDW is very handicap friendly. Most of the rides you can drive an ECV right through the line. Some of the rides have stairs in the lines, and on those, the cast members will direct you to a different area with an elevator. If there's a lot of scooters or wheelchairs, the lines can end up being longer than the standby line, but that doesn't happen very often. Sometimes you'll be given a special fastpass that will tell you when to return. You might also check at City Hall and see if they'll give you a handicap card which will give your group (up to six people total) front-of-the-line access on several of the rides. It's not always offered, but it's worth checking.

Good to know. :thanks:

We had an already-planned trip once when DH ended up with his foot in an air-cast. He rented an EVC, and we still had a great time! (In fact, DS's favorite memory of that trip was being taken into Turtle Talk by a special door and getting to sit in the front. - He got picked to talk to Crush and everything!) I say if your docs OKs it, go ahead.

Why do these things always happen right before an expensive vacation? We always had a kid in some kind of cast, splint, or bandage on most beach vacations!

Hope it works out well and you heal quickly.

:thanks:

Last summer my dad used an ECV and he was able to take it in many of the lines all the way up to the front.

Good to know! Thanks!

I had to rent a wheelchair for my DD when we went to Universal after she broke her ankle when she was 10 (2 days before we left on the trip). We did everything that we wanted to do and she didn't suffer for anything. We took her crutches so she could get onto rides. It was no issue. It was delivered to the resort and waiting for us upon arrival.

So you can use crutches to get on the rides? Really really good info! Thank you!

Rented a wheelchair for my Mom the last time we were at MK. Mom was hobbling in with a sore hip from the walking she did the previous 2 days. We rented a Disney wheelchair for her (I didn't want to spend for the ECV) and between me, my niece and nephew, we pushed her and by that evening, she wanted to push me. I told her to stay seated so she could walk the next day. Again, we did everything that we wanted to do.

Glad you could still enjoy your trip. Your mom’s a trooper!

I rented a scooter for my sister when we went to Washington, DC. The only issue we had with that is that it had a very short battery life. We learned that in the National Archives when she ran out of juice. After speaking to the company (and a threat to call American Express) they delivered a new battery to us and we kept moving.

One of my fears is running low on the battery, but your solution sounds like it worked!

The greatest thing about having a chair is that you can take bags with water bottles and no one has to carry them.

I’ve always been the “Sherpa” on our trips. Good to know nothing will change.:p

I hope you heal faster than you expect and that your trip is magical and that you have a great story about the time you went to Disney with your 2 bad legs.

Awwww...thank you!:love:

Get yourself over to the DISabilities board on this forum. The folks there are really friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. They'll be able to tell you all the ins and outs of using a scooter around WDW.
We went with my dad in a scooter a few years ago, and we had a great time.

Excellent advice. :thanks:

Rent and ECV and enjoy yourself, second utilizing the Disabilities Board.

:thanks:

I love this idea! I would go and see how much I can actually do and then roll with it. :) I would be in the mindset that I'd be at the resort alot of the time and anything else I'm able to do would be a bonus. Heal well.... :)

This will definitely be an opportunity to experience OKW...:yay:

If you decide on the scooter, many people recommend trying one at lowes or homedepot.....nice wide aisles ....just to get a feel for driving them. I'm sure others can get some tips on usage.

Really really great idea! Practice makes perfect! I’m definitely concerned about driving that thing!:car:

I knew I’d have to take it slow and ice my knee a lot on the trip,

i HIGHLY recommend getting a kodiak ice pack machine for the trip. it is the BEST way to ice your knee, esp. when sleeping b/c it provides hours of treatment, no bag of ice that's either slipping off or you're sleeping in an uncomfortable position to keep from slipping off. very easy, very portable, very good value.

i had arthroscopic knee surgery about 5 years ago-i still use mine when we are doing activities that entail extended walking, standing or other pressure on my knee.

I’ll second using a ice machine (like the Kodak, made by Breg)! Check if you can rent one down there, but it will be much better than just ice packs.

i HIGHLY recommend getting a kodiak ice pack machine for the trip. it is the BEST way to ice your knee, esp. when sleeping b/c it provides hours of treatment, no bag of ice that's either slipping off or you're sleeping in an uncomfortable position to keep from slipping off. very easy, very portable, very good value.

i had arthroscopic knee surgery about 5 years ago-i still use mine when we are doing activities that entail extended walking, standing or other pressure on my knee.

I’m using the aircast ice machine right now and it is blessed relief, especially while sleeping. Disney doesn’t allow ice anymore in the parks, but surely if I show them what I’m doing, they’ll be ok? My unit is probably too big to take in a suitcase, but maybe we could figure something out! I hadn’t even considered the machine, just thought I’d use ziploc bags with ice at the resort! :crutches:

You won't be able to re-schedule rented points, so I agree you should go and make the most of it. You'll likely be able to do more than you think, and even if you couldn't, sitting around at Disney is still better than sitting around at home - you'll be out the same amount of money regardless!

DH walked all over Disney and Universal last summer with a torn ACL. He had a full length leg brace on. He rode most everything, save for one ride at Universal that he couldn't fit in with the brace. You have a lot of good suggestions here, so hopefully it works out for the best. Best wishes!

Love the “out the same amount of money, etc.! You’re so right!! And your husband is tough-I wouldn’t attempt the ACL. I went to DL 3 weeks after arthroscopic surgery on the right knee 5 years ago. My knee hurt!! That’s why I’ve been nervous about this trip.

I really don't mean to break up this party cause it sounds like a lot of fun! :goodvibes

But you REALLY need to check with your orthopedic team FIRST before you decide whether you can go or not, making sure they understand all that's going on with your right now, post surgery! (Idk if you had the same team for both issues, or different people, etc. They have to all be on the same page!)

We’re flying-about 2.5 hours. DME to OKW although I’m wondering if that’s a good idea... Before surgery ortho said yes. Now, with the broken leg I’m not sure...

Both of these issues (the surgery and the leg fracture) put you at higher risk for a blood clot. You don't want to be caught unaware and wind up in the hospital, etc.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/deep-vein-thrombosis

It's possible they may let you go with some conditions, idk. But ask them about it so you know for sure!

If you can't go, I know you'll lose your money (unless somehow they can move it forward for you). BUT it's a small price to pay when it comes to your health.

Good luck! I hope you can make it work!

Assuming you go, it's been years since we stayed at OKW, they have a couple buildings with elevators, but the rest you walk upstairs. You may want to check and see if your reservation is already for an HA unit.

I’m using the aircast ice machine right now and it is blessed relief, especially while sleeping. Disney doesn’t allow ice anymore in the parks, but surely if I show them what I’m doing, they’ll be ok? My unit is probably too big to take in a suitcase, but maybe we could figure something out! I hadn’t even considered the machine, just thought I’d use ziploc bags with ice at the resort! :crutches:

You can get ice in the parks, they just don't allow loose ice in coolers anymore (because it was difficult for the security check folks to go through). You can get ice at any QS in the parks.

I really don't mean to break up this party cause it sounds like a lot of fun! :goodvibes

But you REALLY need to check with your orthopedic team FIRST before you decide whether you can go or not, making sure they understand all that's going on with your right now, post surgery! (Idk if you had the same team for both issues, or different people, etc. They have to all be on the same page!)

Right with ya! I’m on a CPM to move the surgery leg continuously, in order to avoid any blood clot issues. I think that’s pretty standard protocol because our son (at 19) had arthroscopic knee surgery and they put him on the same machine. I was my surgeon’s last surgery before he went to Africa for 2 weeks, so he’s unavailable for a while. The broken leg was seen by one of his partners and no surgery required there, for which I am very very grateful. He took a look at the knee and pronounced that healing was as expected. I’m moderately high risk (overweight, heart issues) but so far I heal well and still have excellent circulation. But yes, this is all contingent upon their approval. Thank you for helping me face the reality of the situation!

You can get ice in the parks, they just don't allow loose ice in coolers anymore (because it was difficult for the security check folks to go through). You can get ice at any QS in the parks.

So much has changed since DH and I went in 2016. Of course they allow ice inside the parks! What was I thinking! Doh! And it makes perfect sense that security doesn’t want to dig thru a bunch of ice at the gate.

How are they getting around? Can they stay in line in an ECV or does it have to be parked and they stand while waiting in line. I’d rather not use a wheelchair-then I really can’t do anything on my own.

ECVs can go in pretty much every queue, and the ones that don't allow it should have a wheelchair available for use in the queue.

You might also check at City Hall and see if they'll give you a handicap card which will give your group (up to six people total) front-of-the-line access on several of the rides. It's not always offered, but it's worth checking.

There's no front of the line access at WDW, and nothing even close to that for mobility issues now. Only FOTL access is for Make a Wish kids.

Good to know. :thanks:

The above poster was incorrect about the front of the line pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter