• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Information on AutoTrain

lazarru

DIS Veteran
Thinking of taking the autotrain down in Dec instead of driving. Anyone have any experience they could share about using it. It would be 2 adults and 2 child(3 and 1.5) so I guess would have to get at least a deluxe bedroom if not a family room.

Are there any ways to get discounts to bring the cost down at all?

Thanks

I took the AutoTrain when I first moved down here a few years ago... I had never ridden on a train before, and was a bit nervous, but I loved it.

I don't remember the classification, but I got the lil tiny mini bedroom... it suited its purpose. I imagine the family rooms are much larger, but I still wouldn't expect anything spacious.

I was expecting airline style food... however, I was pleasently surprised to find that the food served was wonderful. Certainly met some nice people at the dinner table.

I reget now, not taking advantage of the lounge car, and the entertainment on board. But nevertheless, I enjoyed my trip.

AAA discounts are available. We have taken the auto train at least 6 or 7 times but we never reserved a sleeping compartment so I can't help you with any info on that. Bring along snacks and pillows!

With 2 little ones (1.5 and 3) I'm not sure we could get away without a sleeping compartment or could we?

Originally posted by lazarru
Thinking of taking the autotrain down in Dec instead of driving. Anyone have any experience they could share about using it. It would be 2 adults and 2 child(3 and 1.5) so I guess would have to get at least a deluxe bedroom if not a family room.

Are there any ways to get discounts to bring the cost down at all?

There is one current promotion, ranging from 30-35% discount. I posted it here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279826

The only catch is you have but two days left to book this special. However, there is a new 30% discount scheduled to begin November 4th. The new special will not require use of a Mastercard, though I don't yet know for sure if it will or will not exclude Auto-Train.

Finally, check RailSale at:

http://tickets.amtrak.com/Amtrak/ra...geID=main&railSaleFlag=true&externalCall=true

Right now, the RailSale is only posted for travel through November 20/28th, but keep checking back because it is updated every week. Again, the "catch" is that you never know if Auto-Train will be one of the trains on this promotion (figure it will end before the holidays, if not before). If you can get a good fare through one of the two above specials, I'd go for it.

As to accomodations, the Family Bedroom would be you best bet. This room has four bunks - two adult and two "Kid sized". The deluxe room has only two beds plus an armchair. Families do spend the night in coach (you are grouped with other travelers with children), and some people even prefer it (I'm not one of them).

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the RailSale Page. The other is no good since we're coming back on the 23rd and that's one of the blackout dates. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter