"infant" at Storybook Dining

pixiedust23

DIS Veteran
I'm bringing my 1.5 year old "infant" to Storybook dining. I assume that while they don't serve him a meal b/c we don't pay for him, he can eat the apps? How does that all work?

You won't be charged for him and he can eat off anyone else's plate. Just remember to include him in your number when making your reservation.

When our 1 year old ate at CRT a few years ago, they offered us an “infant meal” for her, free of charge. It was not listed anywhere and I did not know it existed. I was planning on having her eat off my plate but they offered the free infant meal instead. This is not advertised but has been reported by others.

Same thing happened in January at the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno. Was planning on sharing the breakfast calzone with my 2 year old because it’s quite a bit of food, but they offered him his choice of any kids meal, free of charge. This is also not advertised, but has been reported by others.

I would not expect a free infant meal as it not advertised and may depend on the server. I was surprised we were offered it on these two occasions. Just wanted to let you know that while you are there, this may be something offered to you. I just wouldn’t plan on it because it isn’t officially communicated anywhere.

Last edited:
When we took our 19 month old two years ago at every single character meal that was not a buffet they gave her a child meal (on the mouse) they just asked us what she would like and gave it to us. This occurred at several meals.
For other meals where we paid OOP for each individual dish, we just had her share ours which is never an issue.

When our 1 year old ate at CRT a few years ago, they offered us an “infant meal” for her, free of charge. It was not listed anywhere and I did not know it existed. I was planning on having her eat off my plate but they offered the free infant meal instead. This is not advertised but has been reported by others.

Same thing happened in January at the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno. Was planning on sharing the breakfast calzone with my 2 year old because it’s quite a bit of food, but they offered him his choice of any kids meal, free of charge. This is also not advertised, but has been reported by others.

I would not expect a free infant meal as it not advertised and may depend on the server. I was surprised we were offered it on these two occasions. Just wanted to let you know that while you are there, this may be something offered to you. I just wouldn’t plan on it because it isn’t officially communicated anywhere.

When we took our 19 month old two years ago at every single character meal that was not a buffet they gave her a child meal (on the mouse) they just asked us what she would like and gave it to us. This occurred at several meals.
For other meals where we paid OOP for each individual dish, we just had her share ours which is never an issue.
Do either of you recall what they served your LOs?
Just curious.

Just curious.

We got to choose one off the children's meals from the menu. So whatever they have on the menu we could choose. They just asked us what she would like and we told them. No charge.

Last edited:
Just curious.

At CRT in 2016, they asked if we wanted a free infant meal for my 1yo daughter and I asked what it was - she said it was the cheese and grapes appetizer and chicken nuggets (with whatever the typical side served with the nuggets was, I can’t remember.)

At Bon Voyage breakfast a couple months ago, my 2 year old son could pick whatever kids meal off the menu he wanted at no charge.

We normally eat at character buffets and family style meals with our under 3s. The two character meals that we have done that aren’t buffets or family style have offered us a free meal for the child under 3. Hoping someone can chime in with an experience with an under 3 at Storybook Dining for OP.

Last edited:
I did this with my 2 children under 3 a few weeks ago - they were offered small plates of pasta with either butter, cheese sauce or marinara free of charge or the option to pay for them. We picked the pasta with butter option and the waitress then brought them the children’s appetizer plates. I clarified that we didn’t want to pay for them and she said the appetizer was too great not to include them. Definitely not expected, but much appreciated.

On the flip side, I wanted to share my experience. Our two year old joined us for lunch at CRT this past summer. I did not going in intending that he would get offered a plate/meal. However, our waitress then tried bullying us into paying $48 for him to even get a drink and a meal. We said he would be fine with water. The only way to get a glass of milk for him was to pay the $48. That much for milk would be ridiculous unless it was made with gold. Then she gave us a hard time about even requesting a second empty plate so we could take a few things off of DH and I's plates and our oldest son's meal to give to my two year old. It was towards the end of our meal that I realized two of the tables around me (including one table with 2 kids under 3) were all offered and provided full kids meals free of charge. I didn't say anything at this point since there was only desert left---but then ironically, our waitress brought out a free dessert for my youngest with all of ours. I didn't expect to get anything for free----but was annoyed how rude we were treated when just trying to get a cup of milk, let alone when other tables were treated so pleasantly with their younger children around us. We will likely never eat there again because of the experience.

We will likely never eat there again because of the experience.

But you *know* that it was an outlier. Even the diners near you were having a different experience.

I’m all for saying “never mind” to a place with a poor experience (Via Napoli is getting the side-eye right now), but with that, I mean, you know your server was in the wrong.

I wish you’d talked to the manager right then...

But you *know* that it was an outlier. Even the diners near you were having a different experience.

I’m all for saying “never mind” to a place with a poor experience (Via Napoli is getting the side-eye right now), but with that, I mean, you know your server was in the wrong.

I wish you’d talked to the manager right then...
Could it be the server did not believe the child was under 3 years old? That’s kind of what it sounds like.

Could it be the server did not believe the child was under 3 years old? That’s kind of what it sounds like.
It is possible. My youngest was just under 2.5 months old at the time---closer to two than he was three. And he is on the much smaller side for his age. In retrospect I should have asked for a manager---but didn't feel like there was a point since we were done with our meal and being given a meal for him was not something ever listed as being guaranteed.

It is possible. My youngest was just under 2.5 months old at the time---closer to two than he was three. And he is on the much smaller side for his age. In retrospect I should have asked for a manager---but didn't feel like there was a point since we were done with our meal and being given a meal for him was not something ever listed as being guaranteed.
Ohana tried to charge us for my nephew when he was not quite 2 yet. It took a manager to take him off our bill. It was kind of a pain, that’s when I learned to be very specific on “infant” even when getting seated.

Just curious.
We were there last weekend. They gave my 1yo a "small portion" of pasta. I could choose if I wanted red sauce, cheese, or plain. My little guy likes spaghetti so we did the red sauce and planned on him eating off our plates too. We were told we COULD order off the kids menu but we'd be paying for it.

When the pasta came out, it was HUGE. Like a normal plate. :laughing:

There was no charge for him.

We just had dinner at Storybook Dining last week. This is probably up to the server, but they brought my 1 1/2 year old his own plate of pasta. He asked me what he would like and said it would be at no additional charge. In fact, my one year old was asleep at the time. He said he would bring it in case he woke up.

Just in case anyone ever checks this, we were NOT offered anything for my son. However, my DD's meal was so large, they just shared her pasta. We also didn't get the huntsman's pie, we got some pate instead. It wasn't very good. And our soup was cold. They tried to do upscale and I feel like they missed the mark on this one. We would not go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter