Infant Advice

GilleyAguilar

Earning My Ears
My wife and I will have a 10 week old with us in September. How hard is it to go to Disney World while taking an infant? We will also have our 4 year old and 19 year old. We were supposed to go in June then found out we were pregnant. So we pushed it back to September. Also, we had thought about leaving him with our parents but shipping breast milk was going to be a pain. Any information you can give me would be very helpful. My two concerns were 1 - the heat and 2 - not wanting to take away from our 4 year olds first visit.

If you split up it will be possible. A new mom, a 10 month old, a 4year old, and a 19 year old won't have the same schedules, energy levels, or interests.

We took our 13 week old back at the end of 2017 and it really wasn't that bad. In addition to our 13 week old, we had a 16 month old, 3 year old and 5 year old. It was the best trip we've had! We carried the baby in the carrier and he slept most of the time. We didn't bring a car seat or stroller for him and it was fine. We were there for 12 nights, so we were able to pace ourselves.

We actually just got back on Saturday from another trip (the kids are now 7, 5, almost 3 and almost 2) and we found the younger two much easier to manage when they were "babies", compared to them now as "toddlers".

One tip - Use Rider Swap. Your 4 year old will be tall enough for lots of the big name attractions, so if you are worried about making sure their first trip is awesome, let them ride those big attractions twice. For example - You would ride the ride first with your kid, once you get off, the kid can then go on with your wife. It is super easy and I found FP lines to be extremely quick on our trip the last couple weeks.

We took our 13 week old back at the end of 2017 and it really wasn't that bad. In addition to our 13 week old, we had a 16 month old, 3 year old and 5 year old. It was the best trip we've had! We carried the baby in the carrier and he slept most of the time. We didn't bring a car seat or stroller for him and it was fine. We were there for 12 nights, so we were able to pace ourselves.

We actually just got back on Saturday from another trip (the kids are now 7, 5, almost 3 and almost 2) and we found the younger two much easier to manage when they were "babies", compared to them now as "toddlers".

One tip - Use Rider Swap. Your 4 year old will be tall enough for lots of the big name attractions, so if you are worried about making sure their first trip is awesome, let them ride those big attractions twice. For example - You would ride the ride first with your kid, once you get off, the kid can then go on with your wife. It is super easy and I found FP lines to be extremely quick on our trip the last couple weeks.
Oh that’s amazing! I’m starting to feel better hearing all that. I’m thinking about using one of those infant wraps that I can wear sometimes too. I love the Rider Swap idea. I had no idea they would let you do that!! Thank you so much.

Oh that’s amazing! I’m starting to feel better hearing all that. I’m thinking about using one of those infant wraps that I can wear sometimes too. I love the Rider Swap idea. I had no idea they would let you do that!! Thank you so much.

The wraps or a good carrier are awesome! We never had to take him in and out. And although we were there in November/December, it was in the 80s everyday we were there. It'll obviously be hotter in September, but there's lots of places to keep cool!

Look into Rider Swap online. There's lots of info out there, but I can answer questions for you if you have any!

We've done it with our kids under 6 months and still had great trips. Having a stroller with a good recline is key. If you're spending most of the day out and about, they can pass right out when they need a nap. Another tip: if it's really hot the time you go, get one of those battery powered fans that clip onto the stroller.

We went in June with a 12 month old and 2 - 4 year olds. The rider swap was great and my girls got to ride most everything twice because of the rider swap (I think you can scan two people to have added passes for the rider swap) Also, many of the rides your little one will be able to ride on with you. I would suggest a stroller for your 4 year old. I know it was better to have the stroller from a fatigue standpoint, but also when the crowds were high in areas it kept them from getting separated from us. We did find out that if you stay on property you can drive to the parks and not have to pay parking. We did this after the first day of trying to fold up two strollers and carrying them on the bus and then unfolding them while everyone was trying to get off the bus during a downpour. It became much less stressful for us. The 19 y/o will be a big help with the little ones though. Don't get stressed if things don't go your way. Have fun and enjoy the time with your family!

If you don't already have a double stroller or have problems transporting it there look into stroller rentals. We found a double stroller from one of the outside rental companies and it was perfect for us.

I think everyone else is spot on with the fact that a good carrier should equal lots of sleeping on mom or dad. At 10 weeks they're still - for all intents and purposes - practically a fetus. Would be much harder at 12 weeks.

other than that, low expectations.

How much do you trust the 19 year old? If they're helpful as a set of extra hands, offer some bribes now to ensure their cooperation later. If they can take the 4 year old for a few key short stretches then it might be a game changer. I would make it clear to them though that you also want them to enjoy their trip and that they are not just there to be a junior parent. A little quid pro quo will probably go a really long way.

We went in June with a 12 month old and 2 - 4 year olds. The rider swap was great and my girls got to ride most everything twice because of the rider swap (I think you can scan two people to have added passes for the rider swap) Also, many of the rides your little one will be able to ride on with you. I would suggest a stroller for your 4 year old. I know it was better to have the stroller from a fatigue standpoint, but also when the crowds were high in areas it kept them from getting separated from us. We did find out that if you stay on property you can drive to the parks and not have to pay parking. We did this after the first day of trying to fold up two strollers and carrying them on the bus and then unfolding them while everyone was trying to get off the bus during a downpour. It became much less stressful for us. The 19 y/o will be a big help with the little ones though. Don't get stressed if things don't go your way. Have fun and enjoy the time with your family!

If you don't already have a double stroller or have problems transporting it there look into stroller rentals. We found a double stroller from one of the outside rental companies and it was perfect for us.
That will help out so much! I find that very comforting to know I can take my own car to the other parks that I can’t reach by the monorail. I’m going to take our infant holder I can wear and use the stroller at times for my 4 year old. I’m hoping that will help me get through the crowds easier and faster.

I think everyone else is spot on with the fact that a good carrier should equal lots of sleeping on mom or dad. At 10 weeks they're still - for all intents and purposes - practically a fetus. Would be much harder at 12 weeks.

other than that, low expectations.

How much do you trust the 19 year old? If they're helpful as a set of extra hands, offer some bribes now to ensure their cooperation later. If they can take the 4 year old for a few key short stretches then it might be a game changer. I would make it clear to them though that you also want them to enjoy their trip and that they are not just there to be a junior parent. A little quid pro quo will probably go a really long way.
She’s actually a LOT of help and i‘ve planned a spa day for her with he mom on our rest day as a way to say thanks! I think my fear is him becoming too hot there. We have fans and a gel pad for him to lay on.

Brought our child during their first birthday. Loved it! We had them in a backpack sort of carrier which was fine....just watch out when you turn (I almost took about a whole table in the glass shop on Main Street). All the men's rooms have changing tables so it's fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!