Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular - No Shows in June/July

AllyReggie

Turkey Leg Hunter
Okay, I swear I am not a conspiracy theorist...

I know a lot of people have put the Indiana Jones show on the chopping block for ages now, (My family and I are huge Indy fans and so we go every time and always enjoy it... but to each their own) but there has never been anything but Blue Sky on it.

I was trying to see how far out they put showtimes, and I noticed I could go midway through July in the calendar system on Disney's website, but there were "No Performances Today" starting on June 1st through the last day available to look at (July 21st). Which got me a little be nervous/worried that they are going to quietly end the show.

It would be strange timing as the Indy show could soak up people who would eventually fill the space when SW:GE opens later in the year... but maybe they'd be closing it to put something different in that might draw more people?

My real hope is that they just don't put schedule times out that far even if you can pick a calendar date to look at that far in advance. Like maybe they just haven't solidified those times yet, whereas other attractions are more concreted in by those days so they have to leave those calendar days blank because they are accessible?

I dunno, have anyone heard anything in the rumor mill that would implore me to plan that we WONT be spending time watching Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular?

I think they just didn't put it on the calendar yet. Though I would like if it was the other option. I've grown tired of the show and would rather have an Adventureland-like Indy section.

I think they just didn't put it on the calendar yet. Though I would like if it was the other option. I've grown tired of the show and would rather have an Adventureland-like Indy section.
I definitely wouldn't begrudge having a real Indiana Jones section, I have seen the show every time I have been and while I love it, I probably only love it because it is Indiana Jones and is mostly the only game in town for that genre (Planning on Peaking into Jock Lindsay's at some point...).

I do enjoy the explanation of stunts and the "movie studio sneak peak" feel of it, and if they re imagined that part and expanded to have a full Indiana Jones land I think they'd get more out of the space and out of that area to soak up crowds that might fill SW:GE to the brim.

I guess I just want more Indy, and I am hoping at the very least it isn't less.

The last two Summers I have wanted to buy an Indiana Jones hat there next to the show but haven't. This Summer I am going to!!

Disney is notorious for not putting the schedules for their shows out until a few months in advance. So .. conspiracy theory it is. :)
Odds are they aren't going to close anything in DHS after SWGE opens just to soak up the crowds .. heck they developed and have opening (very soon - Lightning McQueen) a new attraction there that wasn't really excepted.

That being said, even as a huge Indiana Jones fan .. the show needs to go .. or updated. I mean the EXACT (at least by my recollection) same script for what? 30 years now? The only time it ever seemed different was when the rolling rock was broken one time I saw it.

But . .like someone said above -- the show is constantly filled to capacity and it is a HUGE stadium. My sister's family is going on their first trip down there (as a family) and Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular is one of their must dos at the park. (My sister has fond memories of going to it in the early 90s when she was in high school)

At least rewrite the script -- The show is the ONLY remaining element of the old MGM Studios theme - "The making of movies" .. so the concept of it pretending to be a live film shoot just doesn't fit a park that is about being IMMERSED into movies

Just make it a pure entertaining action stunt show without the theatrics of the live film shoot.

But hopefully evenutally they redo that whole side of the park along with Star Tours into something more fitting the new theme of the park.

At least rewrite the script -- The show is the ONLY remaining element of the old MGM Studios theme - "The making of movies" .. so the concept of it pretending to be a live film shoot just doesn't fit a park that is about being IMMERSED into movies

It’s not the only thing yet. Star Tours is still a movie set, and Launch Bay still showcases film props. Muppetvision is about producing a film. The street performers do film shoots. And the Mickey ride is about a film premier. The entire front portion of the park is still about Hollywood. Only Toy Story and Galaxy’s Edge are about immersion in a movie (Tower of Terror also has immersion but into Hollywood

It’s not the only thing yet. Star Tours is still a movie set, and Launch Bay still showcases film props. Muppetvision is about producing a film. The street performers do film shoots. And the Mickey ride is about a film premier. The entire front portion of the park is still about Hollywood. Only Toy Story and Galaxy’s Edge are about immersion in a movie (Tower of Terror also has immersion but into Hollywood

Good points -- I guess my point is . .yes .. the park is about Hollywood and MOVIES, but the "studio" aspect of it is gone. It is the only attraction remaining that "explained" the movie magic like the Backlot Tour did, like LMA did, like Sounds Dangerous did, like the shows that recreated TV shows did ... etc. The theme of a "working studio with attractions" just didn't last long (good in concept, but it was just built at a time that the movie industry was quickly transitioning to digital effects (which aren't very entertaining to watch the magic)).

I guess my argument is that it just doesn't fit like it used to. How many movies would even use practical effects like that anymore? They would just CGI in everything :).

It (and Star Tours (especially since it has a movie facade set and ruins the immersion of the land just a few yards away) should probably go away next and become something else. Their time is coming to an end. (I could argue Muppets Courtyard should go away too, but that ship sailed I guess).

I guess my argument is that it just doesn't fit like it used to. How many movies would even use practical effects like that anymore? They would just CGI in everything :).

Especially if George Lucas has anything to do with it. His mansion and dog maybe computer generated by now.

Last edited:
We skipped the Indiana Jones show last Summer but we are going to see it this Summer. Love it.

My family are going in early May. My DS & I are starting to plan out our FP selections. We both agree that we need to see the Indy show this year. We agree that it may not be there in 5 years sowe need to see it while we can! I hope that they do refresh it, that would be nice.

I don’t know how but that show is always packed. I feel it needs to be updated BUT it won’t. I have rarely ever seen it not almost capacity.

I asked the kids (10, 8, 6) to rank the DHS shows in order of importance that we go to this year. Indy was number one (Cue DH: "What?"). They have never seen the movies and only know him from the stage show. It beat Frozen, BatB, and the SW show. Even though it's script hasn't changed it at least doesnt come across as particularly dated. Maybe the audience participation helps with that.

I was once chosen to be an 'extra'. That's was a lot of fun for me and our family. I even got a bottle of water for my dramatic acting skills. Still love the show. As we age, we are doing a lot less coaster/simulators and more sit down and enjoy the show attractions.

I loved this as a kid. 25 years later the show is almost the exact same but movies have gotten much better. So my kids couldn’t make it half through before we walked out. They need to update it with a more relevant movie maybe and make the acting better.

Yeah, it is still popular, but probably because it's so damn hot most of the year. We need somewhere shaded to eat our ice creams.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter