India!

I haven't heard anything. We've done two of the train tours there (Palace on Wheels and the Golden Chariot). They are like cruises by train with all of the excursions included.

I haven't heard anything. We've done two of the train tours there (Palace on Wheels and the Golden Chariot). They are like cruises by train with all of the excursions included.

While not quite at the top of my list, I have looked briefly at train tours there. What was your overall opinion on them? Were they pretty much adults only or where there children/teens on board?

I’d love an India ABD, but I’d frankly be shocked if it was ever announced.

While not quite at the top of my list, I have looked briefly at train tours there. What was your overall opinion on them? Were they pretty much adults only or where there children/teens on board?

I’d love an India ABD, but I’d frankly be shocked if it was ever announced.

We did the Palace on Wheels pre-kids, but we could have easily taken them along. The palaces and entertainment are kid-friendly and the best part is that the food on the trains was always safe to eat. We did the Golden Chariot with our girls when they were 4 and 6 years old. They had a blast dancing through palaces along the way. I don't remember if there were many other kids as this was before our ABD days, so we did keep to ourselves a little more. We had the grandparents along too, so we were a slightly larger group in our own right. The biggest issue with kids is that rooms only can have 3 people so it was complicated for a family of 4. We ended up sending one of the kids to sleep in the grandparents room to make it work.

I could totally see Disney using one of these existing train tours like the river cruises or the yacht cruise on the Galapagos tour for an ABD trip. That would actually work pretty smoothly, I think.

I always wanted to visit India. Planned it before the pandemic, but had to put it off. Now I have returned to this idea. Does anyone know how much time it will take to get a visa?

I always wanted to visit India. Planned it before the pandemic, but had to put it off. Now I have returned to this idea. Does anyone know how much time it will take to get a visa?
Normally it would take just couple of days and application can be done online on this site - https://visa-to-india.com/. There you can also find all the visa requirements and types of visa etc. All you need is just a valid passport, recent picture, answer couple of question and pay a small fee. The approved visa will come to your email and you need to keep this confirmation on your phone/laptop/any other device to show when entering the country.

Last edited:
I would love if they announced an India trip. Is the reason why they haven't because India just isn't a popular destination in the U.S.?

I suspect logistics are just especially tough. So many folks I know who have visited have gotten stomach illnesses even when trying to be very very careful with what they eat.
It really can happen. That's why it is important to find out as much as possible about the places you are going to visit there, especially when it comes to eating.

It really can happen. That's why it is important to find out as much as possible about the places you are going to visit there, especially when it comes to eating.
I think if a travel agency is good, it will warn about such situations, and maybe even provide the info about the safe ways. And of course, you can learn it by yourself using the Internet.
A lot of people had a great experience visiting India. And I'm no exception. I was there in November 2019, just before the pandemic. I knew that the ideal time to visit india was during the winter (November to February). It is the peak tourist season though. But the temperature was very comfortable, and I was lucky to visit Delhi, Taj Mahal, Rajasthan, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Kerala.
It was one of the best travel experiences in my life and I hope to go there again in the future.

Last edited:
I traveled through India by myself (picture backpacks and youth hostel type accommodations) about 20 years ago. It was an amazing trip. I spent most of my time in the southern half of the country and would love to go back and see more (although not with the backpack and hostels :-) ). I've been hoping for ADB to venture into India, maybe 2025?

I've read reports that women traveling alone in India are stared at because they are assumed to be prostitutes. India may not be a good place for solo female travelers.

A male guardian is actually required by law to accompany a female in some middle eastern countries. The custom seems to be the same in India but is not a law.

-Paul

I've read reports that women traveling alone in India are stared at because they are assumed to be prostitutes. India may not be a good place for solo female travelers.

A male guardian is actually required by law to accompany a female in some middle eastern countries. The custom seems to be the same in India but is not a law.

-Paul

My wife and I along with 2 other couples traveled through India this year. It was a great experience. I can't speak to traveling as a solo woman. I assume some precautions should be taken. I have read reports that public parties during Holi festival are not recommended.

I'm not sure which Middle East countries you're referring too. That is not the case in Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman or Jordan. Women are completely free to travel solo. There are no restrictions. I was in most of those countries last month.

Women are completely free to travel solo. There are no restrictions. I was in most of those countries last month.

There are many written and unwritten gender issues is the middle east and Asia!

Until very recent change, women in Saudi Arabia could be sentenced to prison. for driving a motor vehicle! There have been some efforts to repeal male guardianship laws in Saudi, but they currently remain in effect. Dress codes and gender-specific areas are common.

There are often exceptions for foreigners, but don't assume the rights enjoyed by US women are the same in all countries.

-Paul

There are many written and unwritten gender issues is the middle east and Asia!

Until very recent change, women in Saudi Arabia could be sentenced to prison. for driving a motor vehicle! There have been some efforts to repeal male guardianship laws in Saudi, but they currently remain in effect. Dress codes and gender-specific areas are common.

There are often exceptions for foreigners, but don't assume the rights enjoyed by US women are the same in all countries.

-Paul
That law in Saudi regarding women drivers was changed in 2017 by the Crown Prince. I don't see it being changed. No doubt there's still room for progress, but these are very different countries than they were 10 yrs ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter