Independence of the Seas-Norwegian Fjords

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
Has anyone sailed on this ship or itinerary? If so what did you think? We will be traveling with our son who will be almost 9 at the time...do you think a child this age would like this ship and itinerary? Holding out for Europe 2020 on Disney to be released but if those sail dates don't work with our schedule I've found a back up Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Independence of the Seas...any feedback or reviews would be great!:)

We are looking at this cruise too! Our only hiccup is the crazy flight prices getting there and back.

I haven't done that itinerary but I have sailed in Independence twice. My daughter was 10 the first time and had a great time and loved the ship. That was before they added slides and trampoline. I'm sure kids would like it even more now.

68C73DF0-BF15-4D20-9C20-9173EC7A2B36.jpeg F8351DB7-E76D-4000-9D26-2F4D3F526D47.jpeg E7EB4981-61C9-4992-AEEC-84D02370A5E7.jpeg We did the Norwegian fjords this summer , it’s my favourite cruise destination so far! I’d only cruised Disney prior to this but I just couldn’t do their dates for Norway. We sailed Princess but I’m booked on Independence of the Seas in May this summer. Norway is spectacular

We are also interested in sailing the Norwegian fjords on Independence of the Seas. Would love to hear details from anyone who has done this.

We haven't done that itinerary but were on the ship in December. My 7 year old niece loved it. She went to the skypad and water slides almost every day. It was a short cruise so didn't make it to laser tag and ice skating. There's so much for a 9 year old to do on this ship. I'm sure your son will love it.

Sorry for the late reply but might help someone else so thought i would post.

Have sailed RCL twice in the last 3 years. Both to norway. Once on Navigator - norwegian fjords ans once on Independence - norway and denmark. Both were fantastic but the service on the Independence could not be faulted at all. I didnt like the look of the speciality dining on the independence wasnt as interesting as the navigator but they have upgraded now so it looks much better.

Norway and Denmark are both very expensive and we found that a lot of the restaurants were italian or french bristros or american. So we ate entirely on the ship except in copenhagen where we had a themepark burger and fries. Didnt feel like we were missing out on the experience doing this.

We have gone to;
Olden - beautiful place go on the rcl fjord tour.
Bergen - more modern industrial area but still good history. RCL actually messed our excursion up as they booked us on the ice bar that hadnt actually been built yet and then offered a fish market in its place with little compensation. So be careful there.
Stavenger - we saw an open air heavy metal concert in the middle of town and the next time went on a fjord boat ride. Amazing place wonderful people.
Oslo - itenary was changed on us after booking but was still fantastic.
Kristensand - instead of 2nd day at Oslo people were not happy as it was a v.small town and everything closes on a Sunday. We actually went on a beautiful walk around the nature trail and this ended up being one of my most favourite parts of the trip.
Aelsund: Been twice beautiful town lots to do.

Skagen and Copenhagen as well.

I personally wouldnt pay the premium for the disney cruise for Norway as it is very intenary heavy and we like the things the independence offer. We paid 899 each for an outside room 8 nights on the nav in 2017 and 1099 for a 9 night balcony in 2018 on the independence.

As i have mentioned both ships have now had upgrades and look like they have better food and entertainment options. The mexican was amazing though on the navigator.

We have sailed RCCL to the Norwegian fjords, and Amsterdam as well many years ago. It was a great itinerary and a wonderful cruise. Walking on the Briskel glacier is something I will never forget.
We also have sailed on the Independence and enjoyed it.

Haven't done the itinerary but DH and I were on Independence last December and loved it. Ship is perfect for a 9 year old...aside from swimming, there is a rock wall, mini golf, great waterslides, laser tag and splash area for younger ones as well. Unfortunately the Sky Pad is closed now and may be for awhile. Can't comment on kids club but they send out a compass of daily activities for each age group so lots going on.

There is also Once Upon a Time which is a great family production show. Independence also has Grease...so up to you if you think that's ok or not (but performance is amazing). And they'll also have headliners that are family friendly.

Wonderful ship. Let me know if any specific questions.

We’re looking at either this cruise on Independence, or the 11-night Arctic Circle Cruise on Jewel of the Seas. Heard that Jewel is older and doesn’t have a lot of the activities that Independence does, so still debating. Has anyone been on Jewel and can offer advice? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!