In the Kitchen with Donald

Donald - my hero

<font color=blue>Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"
In an effort to cut down on the potential #epicbreadbakingfail that will soon be flooding pinterest as everyone tries to use allll the flour & yeast they bought over the last few days I thought we could come together and share our recipes & tips with each other. THEN we can share our successes and our flops
Please feel free to share your favourite recipes and I'll drop links to your posts in the appropriate posts below.

Last edited:
Bread recipes

Last edited:
Last edited:
Dessert, sweets & treats recipes

Last edited:

Not a recipe per se but I have THE best bread book. It’s called The New Artisan Bread inFive Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. I loved it so much I purchased their follow up book, Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day. I do have a bread maker but I like this so much better.
just thought I would share.

I'm a big fan of artisan bread baking with steve on youtube. Will try to link one of his video's below. If not allowed, then pls delete. Think others can simply google 'artisan bread baking steve youtube' and will find many of his easy video tutorials.

Last winter, I had great success using his simple white bread recipe. Because it is much colder in Canada in winter, leaving it to rise on the counter doesn't work as not warm enough. I covered the dough with saran wrap and let it rise overnight on top of my fridge and it provided the perfect amount of warmth for the yeast to work. Of course, I had to buy a new fridge this summer so my new fridge is energy efficient and it won't work. However, I may try some of these recipes using a basic oven proofing method. Keep oven turned off, boil water and pour into sturdy metal pan. Put hot water pan in rack below dough. Shut door and hope it is enough heat to allow yeast to work overnight. ps you don't have to use his 2 pan poor man's dutch oven method. It worked great for me just using one basic bread pan uncovered. It didn't rise quite as high and wasn't as crispy but still wonderful. I just didn't want to fuss with hot binder clips and mess about.

Here's that link. Good luck all! ps if your first attempt fails, try again. That's just the nature of homemade bread making until you perfect a technique that works for you and your conditions.

Last edited:
One of our favourites is Alton Brown's Shepherd's Pie.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2-1942900
Over the years, I have made mine less fussy using things that I always have on hand. Instead of tomato paste, I use ketchup. I just use ground beef instead of lamb and I just make normal mashed potatoes to top. Instead of rosemary and thyme, I use a couple of tsps of poultry seasoning. I use an entire can of corn.

It is a very easy recipe and really flavourful.

As promised, bagel bombs!

These look super complicated, because Christina Tosi always breaks each part into its own recipe. But other than time, it’s not much of a process. I’ve followed the recipe and made everything bagel bombs. I’ve also changed it up to make cinnamon cream cheese with a strudel topping. The only thing I’d maybe avoid is too much fresh fruit/veg in the cream cheese. It all goes in the oven, so they would probably get soggy.

If the pictures are too hard to see, I can always type things out later :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!