In room safe, has it ever failed you before?

No one I know has ever had something stolen from a hotel room, in the safe or not.
Honestly, I don't tend to use it; however, I will say that since the code can be electronically set, it is nothing more than a minor deterrent, as it would be easily hackable and of course security and/or maintenance would have access to it in case you forgot the combination, so the safe is definitely not secure. All it is really going to do is possible convince someone to move on to the next room. I can't say I have ever had anything stolen from my room though, in the safe or not.
A minor deterrent is better than nothing. I still use the safe or lock things in luggage, lock the room door, don't leave a sliding glass door open (usually request to not be on the first floor at all), etc.

We had our home burglarized several years ago. We did not have a large safe like we do now, but we hid most of our valuables. The thieves took the things that were most obvious and laying about (a watch, a digital camera, DVD player, etc.) and did not appear to spend the time looking for anything else.

It also looks like it can help catch thieves if you use the room safe because it becomes easier for the hotel management and police to figure out that it is a member of staff.

I am glad to hear almost all of the responses on here. No one getting their stuff stolen. That is awesome.

I have had my room safe fail me before, but not in the way you are asking. The just stopped working. Maintenance said it was a battery issue. He hooked something up to it to get it to open. I removed my stuff and he put in a new battery. Good to go again.

I have had my room safe fail me before, but not in the way you are asking. The just stopped working. Maintenance said it was a battery issue. He hooked something up to it to get it to open. I removed my stuff and he put in a new battery. Good to go again.
That's good.

We have never had anything stolen from a safe at Disney or anywhere else. The only thing we put in the safe are meds. Electronics we just pile on the table and my husband's work laptop is in a lock box.

Maybe we have been lucky, but we have never had a problem.

They do that? Really? Are you kidding me? Holy crap, I had no idea! Lawd have mercy, then ya, that is coming to the Disney resort hotels. Good grief.
Nah, Swan/Dolphin has always done it, for years. What they do has no bearing on what Disney does. Never has. They are a completely different company with completing different rules and policies. I have no idea why you think otherwise. You do tend to have a pretty negative view on everything Disney does of late. There's no reason for that either. Everything they do isn't to gouge the guest.

We did once, it was a diamond bracelet my mom had
Stolen from in-room safe at GF
That was years and years ago though

Nah, Swan/Dolphin has always done it, for years. What they do has no bearing on what Disney does. Never has. They are a completely different company with completing different rules and policies. I have no idea why you think otherwise. You do tend to have a pretty negative view on everything Disney does of late. There's no reason for that either. Everything they do isn't to gouge the guest.
I had no idea S/D did that. Well that's my view on some things, not all and I make no apologies.

I did have a pair of emerald earrings stolen once, but they were left out of the safe on the dresser. I blamed myself for being careless and have never brought valuable jewellery with me when travelling since. Even wedding ring gets left at home. The most valuable thing that I travel with is my phone and I keep that with me.

I did have a pair of emerald earrings stolen once, but they were left out of the safe on the dresser. I blamed myself for being careless and have never brought valuable jewellery with me when travelling since. Even wedding ring gets left at home. The most valuable thing that I travel with is my phone and I keep that with me.
That could happen to any of us. Just slips your mind.

We have not. But we did once forget our iPad in the safe at AKL after we left. The resort was able to open the safe to retrieve it and mail it to us. So as PP mentions, its relatively easy for resort staff to access the safe if need be.

I'm not sure whether Disney offers this (never needed it), but many other hotels will offer safe deposit boxes in a secured room somewhere in the hotel. The box requires a key from a manager as well as the key in your possession to open it, so its more difficult to access. Would be worth inquiring about if you're concerned.

On my last trip the safe at blt stopped working. Couldn’t get my stuff out. Maintenance had to. One open it, replace the door and inner workings to get it going again. I had to be in the room for any work done on the safe due to valuables and I guess any potential misunderstandings. Cost me over two hours of vacation time on an already short trip. I enquired if the front desk had safety deposit boxes for me to leave valuables. They did not. It was extremely irritating, but no one’s fault really. I think no front desk boxes is poor business though. I would have stashed my items there and gone on my way while maintenance fixed the in room safe.

To be clear and fair they do NOT charge a daily fee for Resort Guests, only for non-registered guests.
https://www.swandolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html

Yes S/D has had a parking fee long long before WDW did it. Disney probably should have done that years ago to prevent abuse of those parking at the Epcot & Monorail Resorts.
That is a good point about the abuse with those lots. That is true.

No one I know has ever had something stolen from a hotel room, in the safe or not.

A minor deterrent is better than nothing. I still use the safe or lock things in luggage, lock the room door, don't leave a sliding glass door open (usually request to not be on the first floor at all), etc.

We had our home burglarized several years ago. We did not have a large safe like we do now, but we hid most of our valuables. The thieves took the things that were most obvious and laying about (a watch, a digital camera, DVD player, etc.) and did not appear to spend the time looking for anything else.

It also looks like it can help catch thieves if you use the room safe because it becomes easier for the hotel management and police to figure out that it is a member of staff.
Anyone that can access your room can open these safes without trouble. It doesnt have to be a CM.

We have not. But we did once forget our iPad in the safe at AKL after we left. The resort was able to open the safe to retrieve it and mail it to us. So as PP mentions, its relatively easy for resort staff to access the safe if need be.

I'm not sure whether Disney offers this (never needed it), but many other hotels will offer safe deposit boxes in a secured room somewhere in the hotel. The box requires a key from a manager as well as the key in your possession to open it, so its more difficult to access. Would be worth inquiring about if you're concerned.
All resorts at WDW offer a vault service. You are assigned a box in their main vault.

Anyone that can access your room can open these safes without trouble. It doesnt have to be a CM.

True. I have just read about a few sting operations at WDW over the years to catch housekeepers stealing cash.

We don't travel with jewelry of any value that is not with us at all times (like a watch or wedding ring) or wads of cash or electronics. We do bring along our Kindles, but those are less than $100. We also don't take any restricted medication that anyone would want at least we don't yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!