In memory of FLORIDACAT, our own Roy. *PLS read Majestics note, pg2.*

:( So sad to see another DISer pass on. Prayers for Roy and his family.

I followed Roy's journey through the Wilderness Lodge Forum when he was seriously ill a few months ago. I was very touched by the outpouring of love by his friends here and his note to all of you when he had recovered. I hope you can take some comfort in that he knew how much he meant to you and how much you meant to him. He has touched many - well beyond the boundaries of Humphrey's Home.

This is horribly sad to lose yet another DIS'er. My thoughts and prayers go out to Roy's entire family.

I am so saddened by this news. I am praying for his family and friends. I, like Dan Murphy said previously, had hoped that he would pull though again after the surgeries, but know that part of Roy will always remain the Wilderness Lodge. Its not hard to imagine him there now sitting by the poolside looking out onto the lake. Rest in Peace Roy we will miss you.

My heart and prayers go out to Roy's family. I am thankful he is not in pain anymore. He will be greatly missed!

God speed Roy. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

I cant find the words to express how I am feeling. I cant stop crying. Roy was truly a special man. I never met him but corresponded with him in Humphreys Home. I loved his morning songs and he was just full of information that he was more than willing to share with everyone.

My upcoming trip to the WL was booked mostly because of Roy and the others at Humphreys. He will be truly missed.

RIP FloridaCat

Everyone,

I would like to do two things for Roy. Of course with help from all of you.

I would like to have FTD deliver a flower arrangement to the family. I'm waiting to hear from them with details as to where we can send it.

I also just hung up the phone with Pastor Woodrow Woody Keiser who runs an organization called the Dream a Wish Foundation. They are located in Florida and help make dreams come true for needy children. I would like to take up a collection to make a donation on behalf of our dear friend Roy. It is certainly a good cause. Roy's family would be sent a letter of thanks and a plaque of recognition for the donation. They are also updated quarterly with the foundations' status and what the donations are going to.

Please take a moment to PM me if you are interested in participating in the collection.

Here is a message from the Pastor himself which should give you a better idea about them. You could also visit their website at http://www.dream-a-wish.org/index.html.

Dear Friends & Neighbors:

There are a lot of charitable originations in our community, but none like the Dream-A-Wish Foundation. This charitable foundation is totally operated by volunteers. We do more in a month than some of the others do in an entire year. Dream-A-Wish was founded by my wife and me in April 1997, and up through December 2003 we completed seventy-six, once in a life time dreams, for physically and mentally handicapped children in Central Florida. Twenty-four dreams were completed in 2003 alone!

This foundation also works in partnership with nine other local children’s organizations to better serve the community as a whole. They supply handicapped equipment to aid the children, and computers to assist with educating these children. Our partners include WORC, South Boston Ave School, Pediatric Health Choice, Indian Trail School, Horizon Elementary, and Children’s Medical Services, among others.

During the Christmas holidays Dream-A-Wish visits over 400 children who are physically or mentally impaired. These children would not have good tidings and joy in their holiday without help. Dreams-A-Wish has a state of the art “Santa Sleigh” that goes to places where these children can enjoy having their photo taken with Mr. & Mrs. Claus. This sleigh setup is complete with carols playing, motorized reindeer, and snow falling, to make it most realistic. Putting smiles on children's faces, love in their hearts, and a brighter outlook on their tomorrows is worth all the time, energy, and dollars we spend.

There is a lot more to this charitable foundation than you might imagine. We provide food for dream children’s families who go hungry because of the cost of doctors & medications, and handicap equipment that governmental or other charitable programs do not furnish. We provide last wish dreams to terminally ill kids to visit Disney, and much more.

Please check our website frequently to find out more about this most deserving and worthy foundation. Or, call the foundation headquarters office toll free at 1-877-788-WISH (9474) or email us at kids@dream-a-wish.org. We will be thrilled to speak with you. If you agree with what this important volunteer charitable organization is trying to accomplish here locally, then please support it and help it grow. You can provide support in many ways: Donation of funds is of primary importance. But you can also donate cars, trucks, RV’s, boats timeshares, appliances in good condition... You may even consider a bequest in your will. Donors receive a tax-deductible receipt for all donations.

Dream-A-Wish is also always looking for volunteers to help in the office, on the computers, answering phones, and making suggestions. The foundation also seeks volunteer board members, who are willing to sacrifice their time and effort in order to perpetuate our founding visions, and provide leadership for the future. If you are interested in volunteering for a worthy local cause, please call our office. Although we are mostly staffed by retired senior citizens, we welcome anyone who can offer help in our quest to provide dreams to those who are in need, especially our “children”.

Demand truly exceeds supply as respects our mission and desire. One of the main goals of The Dream-A-Wish Foundation, is to show the community what charity really means. It means giving from the heart to those children and families in immediate need - a Good Samaritan’s true intention.

Respectfully,

Pastor Woodrow Woody Keiser

Here is a picture of me and Roy at Wilderness Lodge in September of 2003.

majesticfloridacat.jpg

Here is a caricature we had made and sent to Roy when he first became ill. I know that it looked over him while he was in the hospital the whole time. I wanted to share with all of you.

fc-caracature.jpg

Rest in peace Roy.

Fred

Afternoon everyone. Kinda nuts today so I don't have much time.

This is pretty much the last call for contributions towards the donation I am going to make on Roy's behalf to the Dream a Wish foundation. So far we have raised $250. A plaque will be sent to his family from all of us by the foundation.

I was hoping to get to $300 if possible. Please consider. If interested, PM me and I will send you a paypal address or PO Box to mail it to.

Fred

(Cross posted here from the Humphrey's Home Thread in the Community Board)

On a more somber note, I wanted all of you to know that I spoke to Debra (Roy's Daughter) the other night for about 40 minutes. The family are still pretty upset over the loss of Roy. She wanted me to relay on to all of you what a difference we made in his life during his last year and a half. He spoke of us all frequently to everyone he met.

She also told me where I could find a copy of his obituary. I paid to get access to it so I thought I would share it with everyone.
I removed any location identifying names for privacy purposes.

I never knew that Roy volunteered for Make a Wish. Sigh....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roy Allan Carr

CARR, ROY ALLAN, 71, of Bradenton, FL and formerly of Deltona, FL died July 29, 2004. Mr. Carr was born in Peoria, IL on January 3, 1933.

He was a retired real estate broker and volunteered for Make-A-Wish Foundation. Served in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean conflict.

Preceded in death by his wife Alice, son James, and father Roy. Survived by mother Mary A. Carr of XXXXXXX; daughters Dianne Brown of XXXXXX and Debra Burbrink of XXXXXX; three granddaughters, Rebecca, Emily and Lindsay;
one grandson, Schuyler; two sisters, Kathleen Lindquist and Nancy Carr, both of XXXXXX.

Funeral services to be held in Eureka, IL. Burial in Olio Township Cemetery, Eureka.
Griffith- Cline Funeral Home, Bradenton, FL. 941-755-2688.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter