In a Rut: Cooking

I looked at the nutritional label of this Protein Pasta you guys are talking about and it still seems like it's high in carbs. Regular pasta must be crazy high in carbs.

Here is a link to another recent thread asking for ideas for dinner:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/what’s-your-families-favorite-dinner.3716098/page-3#post-59945988

We use our crockpot at least once a week, sometimes more. One meal my family really likes is a burrito bowl. It is easy and goes in the crockpot but can also be done on the stove. I am not a great cook, so I use the same recipe every time, but it probably wouldn't be hard to substitute ingredients your family likes.

1-lb or cut up cooked chicken
14 oz can black beans
1 can white corn (can use frozen if you prefer)
3 cups chicken broth
2-3/4 cups rice
1 packet of taco seasoning (you can also use your own mix of spices if you prefer)

Serve topped with cheese if you like, lettuce and tomato, eat it with tortilla chips, however you like.

Ok my daughter in college (with a full kitchen) would love this - what kind of rice do you use? I think she only buys the 90 second version lol

Op - I am in the same boat but its me that is sick of everything lol so I am following along!

Op - I am in the same boat but its me that is sick of everything lol so I am following along!

You could make ahead of buy several different sauces that work for pasta and flatbreads. Served with a side salad it could be several nights. I make my own creamy garlic sauce but I tend to buy tomato sauce and paste to make my spaghetti sauce. Pesto and Alfredo are also fairly easy to make. Making it yourself yields way more that can be frozen for later for about the same cost as store bought. I throw in frozen spinich, cherry tomatoes, and cubed chicken to my garlic sauce with pasta and it is a family favorite. And it's easy. I just spend a few hours a month tending to simmering pots.

With 2 teens we focus on build your own. We do build your own taco bowls bar. I can squeeze 2-3 dinners out of it. If there’s leftovers I’ll also do a Mexican scramble with hashbrowns.
We also do build your own sandwiches, pasta bowls, baked potatoes, chili, mini pizzas, etc.
We do a lot of very similar meals here. We often have a large number of people eating dinner with numerous likes/dislikes, vegetarians and vegans. So we do a lot of make your own or a wide variety of dishes served buffet style. This way everyone can something to suit their tastes and preferences.

I looked at the nutritional label of this Protein Pasta you guys are talking about and it still seems like it's high in carbs. Regular pasta must be crazy high in carbs.

It is. There is a reason grains are considered carbs not protein. Most grains do not contain any complete proteins, (containing all of the essential amino acids.)

Regular pasta made from wheat & semolina is almost all carbs.

The only grain that is considered to be a complete protein (while still being predominantly a carb) is quinoa.

Oh, I never assumed the Protein Plus was low in carbs, just that it had added protein! - I initially bought it when DS was going through a phase of only liking butter on his pasta. I'd make meat sauce for DH and I, but felt like DS wasn't getting enough protein on pasta night.

Beans are a cheap protein that can be used/added into many dishes instead of meat. White beans (cannellini beans) or pinto beans are pretty neutral in flavor. Chick peas (garbanzo beans) add a nutty crunch. DD can open a can of any of these, rinse them and add them to any green salad, like a Ceasar salad, or a tossed salad, and they take on the taste of the salad dressing.

As Kimblebee said, the kids can be recruited to make any of the dips below. If you don't have a food processor or blender, an old fashioned potato masher with small holes will work.

Chick peas mash up to become a hummus dip. (Much cheaper ($1) compared to buying pre-made for $4.) White beans make a great dip too. These can be eaten with toasted pita wedges, (or toast cut into triangles or strips,) or with fresh veggies for dipping.

Hummus recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/232962/super-easy-hummus/
The cumin can be left out. This recipe uses sesame oil instead of tahini (sesame paste.) It's cheaper, goes farther than tahini and lasts longer. Adjust all the ingredients to taste.

An alternative is beet hummus. Add a 1/2 - 1 whole can of sliced beets (drained) to the hummus. Puree in a food processor or blender till smooth and add to hummus (homemade or pre-made.) (Reserve a couple tablespoons of the beet juice.) The beets turn the hummus to a fun pink color as well as adding extra nutrition. Add some of the reserved beet juice for a brighter color.)

White Bean dip: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...white-bean-dip-with-pita-chips-recipe-1914865
Add the oregano to the dip if you aren't going to sprinkle the pita chips with it. Easy dip & so flavorful.

A can of pinto beans becomes refried beans easily for tacos or a dip.

Any of the 3 dips above can be spread onto sandwiches too, or onto flatbreads or tortillas to make sandwich wraps by adding fresh veggies.

Last edited:
Sign up for meal delivery from a service like Blue Apron or Home Chef. You get ingredients and make it yourself. We have found some great recipes that we later replicated ourselves using these services. You get great food and new ideas.

When I am in a rut, I become a menu reader. I will check menus on line and make some restaurant meals.

Sign up for meal delivery from a service like Blue Apron or Home Chef. You get ingredients and make it yourself. We have found some great recipes that we later replicated ourselves using these services. You get great food and new ideas.
Not feasible with the OP's grocery budget of $200/month which is less than $7/day for 3 people. I've looked into those services and they're much pricier.

my kids use to make their own pizzas with those cheap biscuits that you hit to open. They would smash a biscuit out on the pan and then add the pizza sauce, cheese and usually pepperoni. You have to have your toppings right there and ready because if you don't start putting the sauce on right away, they shrink.
The family packs of chicken thighs. bake or boil on a weekend. Chop some, shred some and freeze in separate bags. Chicken tacos, chicken enchiladas, chicken soup. The healthy one could forgo the tortilla (or buy whole wheat) and make a taco salad.

Zucchini boats. Cut a zucchini in half, scoop out the inside and save. Bake the outside (boat) while making a tomato/rice based sauce with the insides of the zucchini. Fill the zucchini boat with the stuffing and top with shredded cheese and heat until cheese is melted.

I always had a freezer bag in my freezer. Any left over veggies, onions, etc (even if a teaspoon) went into that bag. When it got full, it was soup time.

OP, I realize that many people can't afford to spend anywhere close to $200 a week on groceries, so I'm trying to think of cheaper meals that are reasonably healthy.

Suggestions:
Tomato soup & grilled cheese
Chicken w/ rice or quinoa & black beans
Omelets w/ cheese, spinach, green peppers, onion, mushrooms or whatever you like in them
Tuna Cakes w/ veggies
Vegetable or vegetable beef soup w/ peanut butter sandwiches
Homemade Chili
Chicken Caesar Salad

The chicken with rice, soup & chili could give you two meals. I'll try to think of more suggestions & add them.

I will second all of these suggestions. Eggs are a great inexpensive protein- eggs, toast, and fruit. Quiche or fritata, omelets. A couple of egg based dinners per week will save. Maybe have chili one night and then serve the leftovers on baked potatoes.

My DD22, only spent around $200 per month on groceries during her three years of apartment living during college but it was only her and she ate out a lot. Heck, I'm amazed by those who keep it to $100 or so per week for a family. We average about 1K a month and it's just DH and I with our adult son eating with us a few times per week.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!