In a long distance thing that my parents don’t know about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You asked for ACTUAL Disney advice and not parenting advice and while they mean well, that's not what was asked.
What's the difference between meeting someone at a bar and going home with them or meeting online (and having met them already) and staying at a Disney resort with them? Do people call their parents, at age 25, when they are going home with someone? Not likely. It's a new generation(s) of dating.

my advice was to make sure housekeeping cleans the room and makes the bed before mom and dad check in. lol....too much?

you are 24 and it is 2019...have fun, but be safe. your parents will understand.

I know you've already made your decision, but I just wanted to address some of these replies.
You can not have met in person, but you still know the person very well. I met my soon-to-be HUSBAND online. We talked online (and over the phone, etc) exclusively for 5 years before we met in person in December of 2015. I flew to visit him, and we stayed in a hotel. We were consenting adults, and I had talked to him/known him for YEARS. He was not a stranger. There was no "you don't really know each other" or anything like that. OP said they'd met before. They aren't strangers, and OP is not a child. OP is older than me, in fact (I'm 22, will be 23 in 4 days. My fiance is 28)
OP did not ask for advice. I know you all mean well, but some of these responses are honestly disrespectful and condescending.
Rant over.

I know you've already made your decision, but I just wanted to address some of these replies.
You can not have met in person, but you still know the person very well. I met my soon-to-be HUSBAND online. We talked online (and over the phone, etc) exclusively for 5 years before we met in person in December of 2015. I flew to visit him, and we stayed in a hotel. We were consenting adults, and I had talked to him/known him for YEARS. He was not a stranger. There was no "you don't really know each other" or anything like that. OP said they'd met before. They aren't strangers, and OP is not a child. OP is older than me, in fact (I'm 22, will be 23 in 4 days. My fiance is 28)
OP did not ask for advice. I know you all mean well, but some of these responses are honestly disrespectful and condescending.
Rant over.
So when you were a 12 or 13 year old child, you were approached by an 18 or 19 year old man? Maybe my maths is wrong.

So when you were a 12 or 13 year old child, you were approached by an 18 or 19 year old man? Maybe my maths is wrong.
We were just friends at that time, for your information. People can talk and not be in a relationship.

I don’t mean this in a disrespectful way, but I don’t inform my parents of everything I do when I’m away from them. Yes, they’ll be joining me for part of it, but it’s my vacation. I live 20,000 miles away from my parents and I’ve gone on lots of dates and met up with different people without them knowing. I don’t need to update my parents on every single thing I do. I let a few friends know and share my location with those friends but that’s it.
My parents had no idea what I did in my 20’s.
I was living my own life, I’m late 40’s, when I was 25 cell phones weren’t around . I think it’s harder now for parents to let go. We’ve raised are kids with cellphones, They don’t answer a text in 5 minutes were freaking out. If your parents have a negative view of online dating why bring it up. It’s like discussing religion or politics with a family member that has opposites views... no good comes out of that.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong or weird about long distance relationships, as for wanting to stay secret from your parents there's nothing weird about that either. It's easy for people to judge based on their own parental relationships or relationships with their kids, but knowing several people who were socially isolated because of their parents, abused by their parents, or had conflict-driven family relationships, lets just say that families come in all all types and no one has any right to judge what you do or do not share with them. Every family is different and some are a bit... action packed with issues.

I'm glad you decided on an extra room though because it will alleviate your mind and you don't have to deal with the stress of them knowing. I hope that what you do have is a great trip! What a wonderful place to spend time with someone you like and grow closer to them!

FWIW for the judgy mcjudgersons, I knew my husband for about 6 years online and moved from CA to CO to move in with him the day we "met" for the first time. Next Monday is our 13th anniversary.

Just be smart :)

...and you find nothing wrong with a 19 year old man befriending a 13 year old girl?
Considering neither of us knew each other's ages for a few years and we were JUST TALKING, no.
There was nothing lewd or romantic. Just talking.

Grow up, tell the folks he's going to be there 2 nights before they are.
Because....that is the truth and you should act like an adult and deal with the ramifications which as everyone has stated, you choices are your absolute right to do you as an adult. But don't shirk away truths because the parents won't like it. Because I bet they aren't going to change anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts