Important Trading/Wish List Guidelines/Scam Warnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoriR

Mouseketeer and DIS Veteran
* List what items you are trading or would like to trade/wish for. Only virtual items are permitted.

* You may bump your thread two times per day.

* Please do not post multiple trade threads listing identical items. If you need to change/update something in your original thread you can use the 'Edit' button.

Please DO NOT post your opinions on whether a trade is fair and reasonable UNLESS the OP has asked for comments. The value of items will be agreed upon by the people making the trade. If you know an item being offered for trade is easily obtainable (free or still for sale), a polite post indicating this is welcome, but please do not accuse anyone of scamming. Please only post offers in trade threads, not comments. REVISED AS OF 12/14/2007 - PLEASE SEE BELOW

* No hijacking! Do not post accepting another member's offer or list your trade/wish in their thread. Please make your own thread.

* You may only use ONE DIS account on the trade boards. Members found using multiple ID's will have their trade post deleted. You may not replace your original ID used on the trade boards. A trader's reputation is very important, make sure your name keeps a good one!

* Since trading is always a risk, we require the actual person trading to post the trade. This way, our members know who they are dealing with. It's better for you also - if something should go wrong, your reputation will not be hurt in the process.

* No creating/responding to trade threads while under a game ban. You are welcome to participate in any other topic on our boards, but offering or taking orders while being banned only causes confusion.

* Trading and/or gifting threads of items not currently in your possession are not permitted.

Any posts not following the above guidelines may be deleted. If you see a problem post, please report it to the moderators.
report.gif

The DIS Boards Guidelines also apply. Please be sure you have read them - DIS Guidelines
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The DIS can not be held responsible for any trades made on the Boards. All trades are done at your own risk. If you experience a problem with a trade, report it to the official site of your game.
Happy trading and wishing!

The Moderating Team

LoriR said:
Unfortunately, it seems the scammers just don’t want to go away. They will most likely never stop trying to come up with ways to get valuable game items. So what can you do to help protect yourself?

My first suggestion would be to NEVER agree to trade for codes for items that can be traded in the game. The items tradable only by code are rooms, VIP badge, and diver suits. Code trades are always risky. Personally, I would only trade codes with someone I knew well, either from the game or the boards and still keep in mind the risk I am willing to take that the code will work. The scam of the day seems to be trading Stitch hat codes. DO NOT fall for this trick. If someone wants to trade these, they can meet you in the game and trade the item itself. Don’t let their excuses of why they can’t influence you. There are no codes for inferno or green flips, don’t let them convince you there are.

Another popular scam is telling you that someone can access your account and put items in if you will give them your sign-in information. FALSE!! Official VMK staff can access your account, but they do not need any of your information to do so. NEVER give anyone your account information, it’s a sure way to lose everything you have.

If someone contacts you about trading on IM or through a PM that you have never heard of, stop and think very carefully. Once again, say no to codes, ask who they are on VMK. If by IM, how did they find your IM name and if from the DIS boards, what their name is here. If by PM check out their posts and see if they just signed up or are well known on the boards. Talk with your friends to see if it would be a good, fair, and safe trade. Never be in such a hurry that you end up making a very costly mistake.

Remember to report any scam attempt you receive by PM to a Moderator or Webmaster. If you are scammed in the game, report it directly to VMK going to www.vmk.com and using the ‘contact us’ link.

The scammers will only be stopped if we refuse to play their games and fall for their tricks.

LoriR

Added Lori's Don't get scammed.

links to threads about scamming:

IMPORTANT Reminder about trading for Room Codes

Don’t Get Scammed – Play it Safe

Warning - Do not get scammed!

**Scammers Beware** DIS Boards Unite

Scam alert! (quest related)

I was robbed NEED VMK STAFF!! Multiple trade window scam

Scam Stories

email scam alert

VirtuallyMe said:
I've noticed many people get confused about some of the terms in the games and some of the phrases used in trading... so I thought I would start a thread for others to post some different terms commonly used in trade that you may see incorrectly listed.

I'll add to this post so that terms will be easy to find- as others add to them as well- feel free to make any corrections/additions to terms I may post too:

Beta: an item is considered "beta" if it was available ONLY during the beta testing stage of the game. Items released after the official VMK opening day in July of 2005 are not and beta even if only around for a day. Some examples of Beta items are: red crate, red tent, Orange Tomorrowland 8/9 pin

Retired any item that is no longer available through in game purchase or by completing a quest. Examples of retired items are the weekend purchase pins, special event items, and many of the costumes.

Re-released Items that were once retired/beta that are released again for a short time. If the item was once a beta item and is re-released then it is no longer considered "beta" (example is blue haunted mansion furniture, pink slipper seat, blue rocket). Many items have been "re-released" and are usually sold at greater cost than originally sold- this helps them to retain some value but all "re-released" items do go down some in value.

Quest Those items obtained by completing a set of questions/actions. Most use this term in referring to the "park" quest items obtained by going to VMK central with completed quests forms, but now with the In Game Quest- it is often important to remember the difference. Many Quest items- both Park and In-game- are now retired and hold greater value than others.

Buyable those items that you can currently purchase in the game in any of the shops available. These are the only items with a "set" value.

Freebies those items that can be obtained through codes by playing mini games on other sites- these are the Kellog room codes, Narnia codes, Everest codes, Pink Monster Doors, Pirates of the Carribean 2 codes. With the exception of the Jack Sparrow Costume (and to a lesser extent the Narnia teleporters)most of these carry little or no value in trades- except to the few people who can not get these themselves. It is important to remember though that the Buzz Cup, Galleon Ship pieces, and Tomorrowland Game Prizes (space mountain room, space suit, and dive suit) do carry a greater value due to skill level required to get those codes and should not really be considered freebies- although they meet the description.

Shopping Spree this is an offer to purchase currently buyable items for the trader those items he/she wants up to a certain amount of credits.

Trading Credits means an offer of credits given either through a quest machine or by trading items that resell for the value of credits offered. This method is frowned upon by staff but no measure to stop it have been done. Special precautions must be taken when using Quest Machines to exchange credits to someone- since others could open and complete the quest as well. You should also only do this with people you trust as there is no way to make sure the full exchange (item for credits or vice versa) will occur...
link to orginial thread also

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=13766210#post13766210

I want to ask anyone who is considering trading for credits to realize how risky this type of trade is. VMK does not approve of this type of trade, not to be mean, but because of the HIGH instance of scamming that occurs. Unfortunatley, we have heard one too many instances of DIS members being scammed in this type of trade. If you need credits to purchase items, a shopping spree is a much safer way to trade.

If you do still choose to participate in a trade involving credits, PLEASE think about a few things first:

1. Be prepared to lose your item(s) and credits - This is truly a risk you are taking.

2. How well do you know the other trader involved? Don't only look at post count, review the content of past posts and trading history first. (even this is no guarantee that everything will go as you plan)

3. Be sure you know who you are trading with in the game. Unfortunately we have seen a scam that claimed more than one victim at a time. Never trade your item, or give credits to someone else on "behalf" of the person arranging the trade. ie: You give the credits to my friend and then I will give you the item. Or, you give me the item and then go see my friend who will give you the credits. Using a CL to hold the actual item being traded can help lower the risk, but it is still there.

If you receive a PM that sounds like a scam, please forward it to a Moderator for review. In the end, you have to play it safe and smart to prevent being scammed. :thumbsup2

Lori

Opinions in trade threads:
The value of VMK items will be agreed upon by the people making the trade.
Acceptable:
*If OP posts any personal opinion of value, then posters are allowed to comment.​
*If you know an item being offered for trade is easily obtainable (free or still for sale), a polite post indicating this is welcome, but please do not accuse anyone of scamming.​
Not Acceptable
*No opinions on whether trade is fair and reasonable​

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts