Impact on disneyland Hotel

It was smack-dab in front of the DLH, and it was horribly themed. The hotel looked like something my kindergartner would draw.

...........your're in trouble matt when your daughter registers for university ....look what I found on Wiki...

according to Wright's autobiography, his mother declared when she was expecting that her first child would grow up to build beautiful buildings. She decorated his nursery with engravings of English cathedrals torn from a periodical to encourage the infant's ambition.[3] In 1870, the family moved to Weymouth, Massachusetts, where William ministered to a small congregation.

In 1876, Anna visited the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, where she saw an exhibit of educational blocks created by Friedrich Wilhelm August Fröbel. The blocks, known as Froebel Gifts, were the foundation of his innovative kindergarten curriculum. Anna, a trained teacher, was excited by the program and bought a set with which young Wright spent much time playing. The blocks in the set were geometrically shaped and could be assembled in various combinations to form three-dimensional compositions. In his autobiography, Wright described the influence of these exercises on his approach to design: "For several years, I sat at the little kindergarten table-top… and played… with the cube, the sphere and the triangle—these smooth wooden maple blocks… All are in my fingers to this day… "[4] Many of Wright's buildings are notable for their geometrical clarity.

.....geometrical clarity????.....does Marin County Civic Center ring a bell?? an article in May 2018 compared the Kindergartner Disneyland drawing to that of the kindergartner drawing of Marin County Civic center.

Anaheim has a new mayor who has decided to back out on the deal on the hotel which amounted to $276 million for Disney. This after Disney has already removed the tenants from ESPN, Rain Forest and Earl of Sandwiches. Disney has stopped all work for now. At least until Anaheim figures out what this will cost them.

Anaheim's mayor is at the end of his term. He's not new. He will be replaced soon. He has been the Mayor since 2010...

This has nothing to do with the Mayor. Disney changed the terms of their plan without getting approval from the city, voiding the agreement. Their bad.

Anaheim's mayor is at the end of his term. He's not new. He will be replaced soon. He has been the Mayor since 2010...

This has nothing to do with the Mayor. Disney changed the terms of their plan without getting approval from the city, voiding the agreement. Their bad.
Their bad, or intentional.... hmmm...

The location was weird, having DLH and PPH guests walk thru another hotel to get to DTD. It just did not make sense.
I didn't realize guests would actually have to walk through the hotel to get to DTD and the parks. I thought it was going to be built over the top of the walkway with an open passage between the DLH and the rest of DTD. I'll have to look closer at the image.

They got approval for the change in Oct 2017. City then said in May/June 2018, "Oh, no on the subsidy though..."

Disney slightly moved the location, in a move that was very well publicized. That is hardly changing the agreement, it has nothing to do at all with the deal they made which was all about taxes. I assume Disney will be polite about it but Anaheim is looking at huge damages

I thought it was all about taxes. They want to move away from the parcel the City owns (hence the subsidies), to a parcel Disney owns (and a fair argument to a misuse of pubic funds if a subsidy was granted on that parcel (s)), so the City said no on the tax break. That was from a cursory read. Has anyone actually really evaluated what is going on based on what has been released to the public?

And more importantly.......... ;) .............. does anyone think they might reopen Earl of Sandwich until this gets settled?
I wonder if the damage has been done with the tenants and the won't want to come back?

It doesn’t matter who is at fault now that Disney has asked the city to end the hotel tax subsidy, the gate tax ban, and other subsidies as they shed municipal agreements ahead of the living wage referendum.

If there is a market for it, Disney will build the hotel.

Disney slightly moved the location, in a move that was very well publicized. That is hardly changing the agreement, it has nothing to do at all with the deal they made which was all about taxes. I assume Disney will be polite about it but Anaheim is looking at huge damages

It majorly changed the agreement. Part of the tax subsidy required the creation of a minimum number of new jobs. The hotel in the original location would create 1100 new permanent jobs. The city felt that satisfied their requirements for the subsidy, so they signed off.

When Disney moved the location, it resulted in the closure of Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Zone, AMC Theater, Starbucks and Earl of Sandwich, a loss of 400 jobs. So, the net gain went down to only 700 jobs, which the city of Anaheim felt did not satisfy the requirement for the subsidy, as it was a MAJOR change to the plan Disney had proposed and received approval for.

Thanks for the clarification-so it is more about the change in number of potential new jobs/wages. Article in LA times Tuesday stated that subsidized organizations would have to adhere to living wage standards set by the City and stated some critics are saying Disney was leaving the subsidies on the table so they would have more flexibility with employee wages.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-anaheim-disney-tax-break-20180828-story.html

It majorly changed the agreement. Part of the tax subsidy required the creation of a minimum number of new jobs. The hotel in the original location would create 1100 new permanent jobs. The city felt that satisfied their requirements for the subsidy, so they signed off.

When Disney moved the location, it resulted in the closure of Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Zone, AMC Theater, Starbucks and Earl of Sandwich, a loss of 400 jobs. So, the net gain went down to only 700 jobs, which the city of Anaheim felt did not satisfy the requirement for the subsidy, as it was a MAJOR change to the plan Disney had proposed and received approval for.

That is a good point. I did not think of that. I just hated the project on principle cause I hate tax payers giving handouts to big corporations.

That is a good point. I did not think of that. I just hated the project on principle cause I hate tax payers giving handouts to big corporations.
Who was giving a handout? Did you know how this worked? And Wincome is continuing the build of the Westin to take advantage of this subsidy. They displaced 135 employees, and will be adding about 500 new jobs. If you "hate" big corporations, who is going to have the money to build a hotel based on a value of $300,000-500,000 per room (per Anaheim's building requirement to meet the subsidy) except "big corporations." I don't see the owners of the Candy Cane or Tiffy's or Desert Palms jumping up and saying "Hey, let me drop $280 million dollars on this hotel that I have to build to YOUR specs so you can get more business travelers to come to Anaheim."

The deal was always about getting someone to build luxury hotels instead on those courtyards they keep throwing up. You can not agree to something and take it back. How is anyone suppose to do business with Anaheim with that attitude. And for the record, cities make a bundle off hotels, a lot more than the owner makes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter