Impact on disneyland Hotel

I am curious about this myself for a stay at the Paradise pier this December. I know that we will need to enter Downtown Disney to enter the parks, and am hoping it isn’t too bad!

I agree with gottalovepluto; there just isn't any way to know for sure. My guess is that the impact will be pretty big for those on the DTD side of the Adventure Tower; even if they keep the noise down, there will be demolition and the view during construction will likely include temporary walls, scaffolding, equipment and so on. Then there is the fact that the security entrance is going to have to be either rerouted or 'tunneled' through the construction zone. I'm sure they'll try to minimize the impact on hotel guests to some extent but it seems to me they weren't really concerned with the DLH guest experience when they hurriedly decided to construct a new hotel in front of it. Not just during construction, but afterward; where is the security entrance going to be? How will DLH guests get into DTD and to the parks? No one really knows those answers at this point but in my mind, the impact is going to substantial.

Where exactly is the new hotel going? We just booked for this summer. Thanks

That's it in the concept art below. You can see the 3 gray towers of DLH behind it; it looks kind of like wings in this picture with a fountain in the middle. Way over on the far left you can see the edge of Paradise Pier Hotel. That area with the fountain, where you'd walk under the monorail, is the DTD walkway. I can't tell if the small end of that 'V' (with the wavy canopy) is going to be the new security entrance or just a pass-through to DLH. The monorail is going to be exactly where it is now but the current station is going to turn into a station that stops at the new hotel. As you can see, this pretty well obliterates much of the view from DLH and constructing this hotel right in front of and beside it is not going to be low impact.

new dis hotel.jpg

I keep wondering where a pool area will be with that pic? Do we think between the two buildings on the right? That's a long walk for someone at the PP end of the other wing.

Also wondering, I bet this will pull a lot of people who usually love DLH over the Grand to stay at the Grand now. Curious to see if prices go up at the Grand and down at the DLH after this.

I keep wondering where a pool area will be with that pic? Do we think between the two buildings on the right? That's a long walk for someone at the PP end of the other wing.

Also wondering, I bet this will pull a lot of people who usually love DLH over the Grand to stay at the Grand now. Curious to see if prices go up at the Grand and down at the DLH after this.
Not with Star Wars Land opening. I expect everyone to want to stay at the new hotel, but the existing 3 hotels to still be able to increase prices. I also would expect some restructuring of early entry.

I don't know where the pool will go. Maybe some courtyard not visible in the picture, maybe a rooftop...or likely not drawn in yet. But you're right; if they keep this model, it doesn't look like there's a good place for a pool that has easy access from every part of the hotel. I'd hate to have to walk through the middle of all the people passing through the hotel grounds to get to the pool!

I don't mind the idea of adding rooms or a new hotel, but this particular concept falls flat IMO. It lacks both privacy and character from what I can see. I wish they'd done a Polynesian-themed hotel, which would have gone perfectly with Trader Sam's next door and the vintage Disney vibe. To put in another contemporary hotel is a shame when they could have done so much more, but it remains to be seen how it will end up.

What's a little ironic is that all the area that's being demolished and replaced with a new hotel used to be part of the Disneyland hotel and was demolished to put in DTD, so I guess it's kind of going backward in time. Maybe it will be great. All I know for sure is it will be expensive!

I don't know where the pool will go. Maybe some courtyard not visible in the picture, maybe a rooftop...or likely not drawn in yet. But you're right; if they keep this model, it doesn't look like there's a good place for a pool that has easy access from every part of the hotel. I'd hate to have to walk through the middle of all the people passing through the hotel grounds to get to the pool!

I don't mind the idea of adding rooms or a new hotel, but this particular concept falls flat IMO. It lacks both privacy and character from what I can see. I wish they'd done a Polynesian-themed hotel, which would have gone perfectly with Trader Sam's next door and the vintage Disney vibe. To put in another contemporary hotel is a shame when they could have done so much more, but it remains to be seen how it will end up.

What's a little ironic is that all the area that's being demolished and replaced with a new hotel used to be part of the Disneyland hotel and was demolished to put in DTD, so I guess it's kind of going backward in time. Maybe it will be great. All I know for sure is it will be expensive!

Agreed! Although I have the feeling it will be a very adult pool, kinda plain and square if they fit it in at all!

And agree with you on the second point as well. No character whatsoever. I try not to judge ahead of time, but this is just not doing it for me. So from what it looks like, there is no access between the two sides that is indoors? So if I have to go from the left side to the right, I have to walk across DTD? Possibly in a swimsuit, etc? Seems weird. I guess it's similar to the buildings at DLH, but I don't have to walk across a DTD walkway to reach the front lobby, etc.

That is ironic. All that money to build those buildings and now to tear them all down? It might be great, who knows? Any thoughts on whether you think you'll have to actually enter the hotel like the WDW hotels and go upstairs to load the monorail? Also, adding this many more rooms will most definitely make EMH much more crowded. BLAH.

Heading out for 9 days in July and hoping they start all this right after I leave!

Agreed! Although I have the feeling it will be a very adult pool, kinda plain and square if they fit it in at all!

And agree with you on the second point as well. No character whatsoever. I try not to judge ahead of time, but this is just not doing it for me. So from what it looks like, there is no access between the two sides that is indoors? So if I have to go from the left side to the right, I have to walk across DTD? Possibly in a swimsuit, etc? Seems weird. I guess it's similar to the buildings at DLH, but I don't have to walk across a DTD walkway to reach the front lobby, etc.

That is ironic. All that money to build those buildings and now to tear them all down? It might be great, who knows? Any thoughts on whether you think you'll have to actually enter the hotel like the WDW hotels and go upstairs to load the monorail? Also, adding this many more rooms will most definitely make EMH much more crowded. BLAH.

Heading out for 9 days in July and hoping they start all this right after I leave!
It seems really weird to have the hotel sides separated by a main walkway that goes right through the middle. How would this layout affect the DLH restaurants and shops? And yeah, can you imagine trying to get back to your hotel room when you're dripping wet in a towel and having to cross DTD to get there?

I haven't heard how they plan to incorporate the monorail as a hotel stop, but my guess is that it will not stop inside the hotel itself but on the hotel grounds, sort of like it used to at the old DLH.

As mom2rtk said above, I would think they would overhaul the EMH system. With SWGE and a huge new hotel, something's going to change. Will they keep some kind of early entry perK? Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it became a much more exclusive perk should it survive and I'm certain there would be limitations beyond SWGE not being included/only offered in a certain tier.

A Polynesian theme would have been SO much better!! And good point about the pool. Unless they have 2 pools or some underground tunnel or overhead walkway, walking across would be weird and uncomfortable.

I can't tell if the small end of that 'V' (with the wavy canopy) is going to be the new security entrance or just a pass-through to DLH.
At first I thought security couldn't be back there because the new hotel's guests would be inside the perimeter, so I figured security would have to be over where the monorail is. But after looking at the picture more carefully I see that there are two different patterns on the ground - DTD has those multi-colored triangles, and the walkway directly outside the hotel buildings is plain beige, and they're separated by what might be a wall. So now I'm thinking the triangle pattern represents everything within the security bubble, so the security booths would have to be back by the wavy canopy. Presumably that would also mean that many of the new hotel guests would have to backtrack to go through security (unless there will be another checkpoint just for them), making it potentially just as long (or longer) of a walk as from the other hotels. Of course they might not have finalized these details yet.

As for the impact of construction, I expect the first stage to be demolition, so they'll probably wall off the buildings and it might not make that big of an impact on the walkway, but it will still affect guests staying in the closest tower in terms of noise and view. I've heard that music from DTD can be heard in some of the rooms, so construction noise will likely be a problem. After that it's really hard to say. They'll have to get creative to make sure DLH/PPH guests have a path to the parks and adequate space for security, so maybe they'll have to construct the two wings one at a time.

Any thoughts on whether you think you'll have to actually enter the hotel like the WDW hotels and go upstairs to load the monorail?
Looks like the plan is for it to be inside the hotel. I just found this info: The hotel’s location embraces the iconic Disneyland Monorail with a dedicated platform inside the hotel for direct transport into Disneyland park.
At first I thought security couldn't be back there because the new hotel's guests would be inside the perimeter, so I figured security would have to be over where the monorail is. But after looking at the picture more carefully I see that there are two different patterns on the ground - DTD has those multi-colored triangles, and the walkway directly outside the hotel buildings is plain beige, and they're separated by what might be a wall. So now I'm thinking the triangle pattern represents everything within the security bubble, so the security booths would have to be back by the wavy canopy. Presumably that would also mean that many of the new hotel guests would have to backtrack to go through security (unless there will be another checkpoint just for them), making it potentially just as long (or longer) of a walk as from the other hotels. Of course they might not have finalized these details yet.

As for the impact of construction, I expect the first stage to be demolition, so they'll probably wall off the buildings and it might not make that big of an impact on the walkway, but it will still affect guests staying in the closest tower in terms of noise and view. I've heard that music from DTD can be heard in some of the rooms, so construction noise will likely be a problem. After that it's really hard to say. They'll have to get creative to make sure DLH/PPH guests have a path to the parks and adequate space for security, so maybe they'll have to construct the two wings one at a time.

One of the things originally stated when Disney announced this hotel was that it would be "open between all Disney properties" or something like that. I've been trying to envision that ever since it was announced. They said something about a big open courtyard connecting the hotels, but I still can't visualize that since there are other businesses within that perimeter. Ok, here's the official statement: "The ground level of the hotel will include shops and restaurants opening onto an expansive landscaped plaza complete with playful water features, creating a gathering place for guests and visitors. The new hotel also connects all four Hotels of the Disneyland Resort through lush gardens and beautifully landscaped walkways, transforming the gateway on the west side and creating a welcoming entry for our Disneyland Resort guests." Here is a link to the article and more concept drawings: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/10/new-hotel-disneyland-resort/

The only thing I can hope for is that after all this, that PPH will be priced more as an actual value/moderate compared to the prices now. Butttt.... this is Disney we are talking about, so price decreases would seem almost unheard of. I can only imagine how much the "standard" room at the new hotel will cost.

The only thing I can hope for is that after all this, that PPH will be priced more as an actual value/moderate compared to the prices now. Butttt.... this is Disney we are talking about, so price decreases would seem almost unheard of. I can only imagine how much the "standard" room at the new hotel will cost.
It will be lower priced than the other 3, but it won't be going down in price. Supply and demand will keep the prices headed upward.

As for the pool, maybe there will be two pool areas, and they'll be "behind" the wings so we can't see them in the image. That hotel looks like it will hold a lot of guests, so having two pool areas seems reasonable. And if there are other common-use areas back there (sitting areas, maybe a restaurant) that would ease my concerns about the lack of privacy - it would be kind of like GCH, which has rooms that border DTD but all the guest amenities are tucked away. My initial reaction to the new design was that I would never want to stay there (you know, after I win the lottery) because it's just right in the middle of everything and doesn't look relaxing, but hopefully they've considered that.
One of the things originally stated when Disney announced this hotel was that it would be "open between all Disney properties" or something like that. I've been trying to envision that ever since it was announced. They said something about a big open courtyard connecting the hotels, but I still can't visualize that since there are other businesses within that perimeter. Ok, here's the official statement: "The ground level of the hotel will include shops and restaurants opening onto an expansive landscaped plaza complete with playful water features, creating a gathering place for guests and visitors. The new hotel also connects all four Hotels of the Disneyland Resort through lush gardens and beautifully landscaped walkways, transforming the gateway on the west side and creating a welcoming entry for our Disneyland Resort guests." Here is a link to the article and more concept drawings: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/10/new-hotel-disneyland-resort/
That's interesting. Reading that quote and looking at the concept art, it makes me think that the plaza with water features is separate from the gardens/walkways connecting the hotels. I think the gardens must be behind the towers, because that's where DLH and PPH are (GCH might just be connected by a walkway). And the plaza with restaurants and water features would be that area we can see in the image that has triangles on the ground, between the two wings - you can see the water features in the image.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter