I'm very confused

disneyguy07

Mouseketeer
I recently had surgery, which left me with some walking issues. I had been in denial that I would need an ECV, but now that we're about 25 days out from my trip its sinking in that I wouldn't be able to do the amount of walking that a Disney trip requires.

I've been researching things and the one thing I am still confused about is how getting on rides works. For example, how does it work to board 7DMT given that everyone use the main entrance? Similarly, how does it work with the omnimover rides such as Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth? I would likely need the boarding walkway slowed, which I understand is possible, but where do we go to board?

The one ride that really has me flummuxed is Finding Nemo at The Seas in Epcot. Does a CM bring the ECV to the exit of the ride or would a friend/family member need to do that?

I just want to say how thankful I am for all the information that is available in this forum. It has been a huge help to me in planning my trip and realistically thinking about what rides I will and won't be able to do. I'm bummed to realize that a couple of my favorites (Test Track and Peter Pan) aren't more accessible, but thankful to avoid any embarrassment at the ride and to re-allocate my FP+.

I can remember my first time with an ECV-such a learning curve! And I cried that "I'm actually on an ECV". Unfortunately, I don't know how either of the 2 rides you mentioned work. However, since I've usually been solo on an ECV, I have noticed that there was only one ride where being alone prevented me from riding-Test Track. And from what I've read here, I think I just got some untrained CMs. You'll find that other ECV drivers around you can be extremely helpful. I remember not knowing what to do with my ECV the first time I needed to go to the rest room. Finally, I just drove up to some other ECV drivers and asked them what to do-they were so helpful. Don't hesitate to ask those around you for help.

I recently had surgery, which left me with some walking issues. I had been in denial that I would need an ECV, but now that we're about 25 days out from my trip its sinking in that I wouldn't be able to do the amount of walking that a Disney trip requires.

I've been researching things and the one thing I am still confused about is how getting on rides works. For example, how does it work to board 7DMT given that everyone use the main entrance? Similarly, how does it work with the omnimover rides such as Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth? I would likely need the boarding walkway slowed, which I understand is possible, but where do we go to board?

The one ride that really has me flummuxed is Finding Nemo at The Seas in Epcot. Does a CM bring the ECV to the exit of the ride or would a friend/family member need to do that?

I just want to say how thankful I am for all the information that is available in this forum. It has been a huge help to me in planning my trip and realistically thinking about what rides I will and won't be able to do. I'm bummed to realize that a couple of my favorites (Test Track and Peter Pan) aren't more accessible, but thankful to avoid any embarrassment at the ride and to re-allocate my FP+.

For the most part, the CM will let you know what you need to do. for the rides you asked about here is what they do

7DMT after the FP and standby mirage there are 2 lines one for even one of odd/ people with mobility devices you will enter this line and around the corner they will pull you out and let you bard this way, ( it will make since when you are there) the CM will move your scooter to the exit for you.

HM ( and this one seem like there is something different that happens every time) so ask the CM when I have gone with a friend with an ECV we go in and they will pull us out right before the stretching room. and we load at the exit where they will slow down the walkway for you. They will do this for most ride with a moving walkway beside the people mover and peter pan.

finding Nemo I think you will board at the exit and your ECV will be there for you.

It really is not that much different for the most part you go in line and wait just like everyone else.

I bet you are more worried about this than you need to be! :) When you get to WDW, you will see - it's actually pretty easy and intuitive.

For almost every ride, show or attraction at WDW, you will follow the main queue. If, for some reason that's different, (i.e. Beauty & the Beast at HS - has a LEGENDARY ramp system down to the HA seating, unless you choose to sit in the back row, then you miss all the "fun" LOL) then you will either see that clearly marked, or a CM will direct you! In some cases, I have a family member go get my ECV; in others, we let the CM get it - it just depends. Probably 90% of the time, either I can walk to it, or a family member brings it back to me.

When it comes to the moving walkways, it sounds like you have a handle on which ones can be slowed/stopped, and which can't.

Typically, I drive my personal ECV through the queue or access line as far as I can, and then I either park (or hand off to a CM) and then walk a few steps to board the ride. On the few rides where I can take my ECV along, I always do. Some rides you will hand off your ECV and then use a Disney-supplied wheelchair to either navigate the queue (like Buzz Lightyear in MK or POC in MK) or you might even take the Disney chair onto the ride vehicle/boat (like Small World in MK). It's kind of a mix, but just ask the CM at the entrance to the attraction, and they will give you the scoop on what to expect, where you can take the ECV, and where you will park it! :)

You can also keep an eye out for that universal HA symbol (the stick figure in the wheelchair) - typically those "special" entrances are pretty well marked, but when in doubt, ask a CM! They will always be glad to show you where to go.

Personally, what stops me cold at WDW is any time there is a step down that is more than about 6 inches, because I no longer have the ability to make the step back *up* after the ride is over. That, plus the moving walkway issue, means I miss a lot of fan favorites - like POC, Pooh, Peter Pan, FEA, etc.

I know that feeling you are having - like @Simba's Mom, I cried the first time I had to use an ECV at WDW. (I was in the Parks, and had to call to have one delivered; I couldn't go any further) But then, that night, I was able to go all the way past the Kiss Goodnight, and on down to Disney Springs to have an Adult Beverage ™ and I realized that I never would have been able to do that without the ECV. Some people view it as being "tethered" to a device, but for me, it gave me my freedom back. I can go all day, rope drop to last call at WDW, and without the ECV, I would not be able to make it to the bus stop in the morning.

Once you are there, and you have had a chance to really use the ECV, and see how everything works, you will be fine. I promise! It will all just kind of fall into place. WDW really is the easiest place to vacation on wheels.

I'm so glad to know that we have been helpful for you! That's really great! :) I hope you will come back and tell us all about your trip!

And don't worry about using the ECV - worry about everyone else you are traveling with keeping up with you! ;)

(I will spare you the embarrassing details of my HS bathroom humiliation and a woman who would not give up the accessible stall because she had 5 small children in tow.)

If she was already in there before you, then there's no 'giving up' involved. Even the accessible stall is first come/first served. Sometimes people mistakenly think it is only for people with a certain disability or somesuch, but the stalls are actually available to all. Thinking of it that way makes it easier to deal with, IMO.

Understood that is first come first serve- but there are far less available with grab bars for those that actually need them. Average walker let alone a wheelchair will not fit in a standard stall) So even though multiple stalls would open up I could still not use them even though I was next in line.

Honestly IMO its the same as giving up a seat to a pregnant woman or elderly on a bus you don't have to but it's the considerate and right thing to do. Think of it how you wish but I believe in respect and consideration for others.

My point is that after reading the book I learned the locations of accessible/family restroom I didn't know existed I learned where I could go to charge etc. Lots a helpful tips.

There are no family restrooms at WDW - they are labeled companion restrooms, so if the book you are talking about calls them family restrooms, it is wrong. I'd be concerned other info would be off as well.

So, how did you approach the woman with the children in the accessible stall? How did you let her know you wanted her to 'give it up' to you?

Understood that is first come first serve- but there are far less available with grab bars for those that actually need them. Average walker let alone a wheelchair will not fit in a standard stall) So even though multiple stalls would open up I could still not use them even though I was next in line.

Honestly IMO its the same as giving up a seat to a pregnant woman or elderly on a bus you don't have to but it's the considerate and right thing to do. Think of it how you wish but I believe in respect and consideration for others.

My point is that after reading the book I learned the locations of accessible/family restroom I didn't know existed I learned where I could go to charge etc. Lots a helpful tips.
If I had five small kids, I would absolutely use the accessible stall, and no way would I vacate it until everyone was done.

Accessible does not equal exclusive.

Except that on the bus you can see that someone 'needs your seat'! Regarding your prior post - In the case of a stall I will take any empty stall if there is a line and no other stall available - I can't see who is coming in behind me but when there is a line no mater the type of stall I am in I will hurry as best I can.

There was also a time when I did need a HC stall and had two kids in tow so the person in question could have been me.

OK, you guys your right-

There is no way that a person on a walker or a wheelchair should have the ability to use an accessible stall IF an able-bodied parent with children need it.

If the able-bodied parent with children gets there first and needs it, then yes, they have every bit as much right to use it as someone in a wheelchair/walker does.

You can wait your turn, just the mother with five kids did.

Let’s not turn this into another restroom stall thread. Any other tips or suggestions for the OP about using an ECV?

op I would spend some time when you first get your ECV just driving it around some at the hotel so that you know how it works ( my first that uses one say each one is a little different ) She says that just 5-10minutes really helps her a lot. like @mamabunny said it is quite easey to tour Disney in a ECV.

one last thing goes slow and take your time untell you get the hang of things. People will not see you ( either because they are looking at there phone, or they have a Vision problem and really do not see you or a number of things,) but just be prepared for people walking in front of you.

I bet you are more worried about this than you need to be! :) When you get to WDW, you will see - it's actually pretty easy and intuitive.

HAHA, I agree I am worrying more than needed. :rolleyes: I'm used to knowing all aspects about WDW, but this is a totally new area for me and I'm feeling out of my element. It doesn't help that I'm definitely a planner, so I just like having a sense of what I'll need to do.

Its also helpful to hear about some of the challenges that can come from other guests.

As I said before, thank you very much for all the tips and reassurances! The info available on this board have been extremely helpful to help me realistically think about what I will and won't be able to do.

HAHA, I agree I am worrying more than needed. :rolleyes: I'm used to knowing all aspects about WDW, but this is a totally new area for me and I'm feeling out of my element. It doesn't help that I'm definitely a planner, so I just like having a sense of what I'll need to do.

Its also helpful to hear about some of the challenges that can come from other guests.

As I said before, thank you very much for all the tips and reassurances! The info available on this board have been extremely helpful to help me realistically think about what I will and won't be able to do.

Oh I understand - I'm a planner too! I think that was why I got so upset the first time I had to rent an ECV at WDW; I had not planned on things going that way... and boy did I get upset! Obviously I survived (see? I'm right here! LOL) but in that moment, I was nearly inconsolable.

Realistically, one of the hardest things you will do will be just driving without hitting another Guest. It's not that they intentionally set out to cause a problem, but they are distracted - by their phone, their kids, or just everything around them. And so they stray into the path of others (ECVs included) inadvertently. Most bipedals don't realize that ECVs and many other types of mobility devices can't just stop on a dime... that there are physics involved, that these devices are slower to stop than they expect, and so that is why ECV drivers tend to be a bit slower, and a bit more cautious. Little ones are the worst; they are small, fast, and can pop out in front of you with zero warning.

To be fair, these kinds of problems come primarily with the more congested areas. So, Main Street in MK, pretty much any time of day, and especially before a parade or fireworks; same with any area around/through the Castle. Certain areas of AK where the paths are narrower, any time of day, and especially after Rivers of Light. HS isn't too bad, except for when the Storm Troopers are out - people are mesmerized by them, I guess! and before/during fireworks and the projection show. With Epcot, it's typically World Showcase, and especially during any Festival or special event, and super double especially right before IllumiNations. Food & Wine is very treacherous with the large number of folks who have decided to "drink their way around the World".

But you will also find large swaths of WDW where you don't really encounter these problems, and maybe it's because folks are bit more spread out, or simply because you have more room to maneuver, it's a lot easier. I personally find the Quick Serve at most Resorts to be the most difficult for me, simply because other Guests are hyper focused on their food, keeping track of their kids and finding a table. Having said all that, no matter how many times I have to stop short, or offer a polite "Excuse me!" (always with a smile!) there is one thing I remember:

I'm at Disney World. If that's the worst thing that happened to me today? 99.something % of the world's population would happily trade places with me in a heartbeat.

Realistically, it won't be perfect - but really, no trip ever is. Just remember that the Magic comes from within each of us! :)

Looks like you've already got some great advice, so I'll just chuck in a couple of extra points that may be of use.

Firstly, Disney produces special maps for guests with disabilities. These can be picked up at Guest Relations or from the stands of maps (the big racks that have different language versions available), and may give you a bit of extra info. If there is an alternative entrance, it will be listed in the attraction details, marked 'Mobility Access'. If you want to get a look at the maps in advance (yup, I'm a planner too!), you can find examples here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/ under the heading 'Guides for Guests with Disabilities'.

The little white accessibility symbols on all maps (not just the disability specific ones) will let you know at a glance how far into an attraction you can get on your ECV. The regular wheelchair symbol means you can stay in your chair or ECV for the whole thing; the one that looks like a person falling out of a wheelchair means you can use the ECV through the line, but then have to get out to transfer to a ride vehicle. The ones that seem to have an ECV driving into the back of a wheelchair mean you need to transfer to a regular wheelchair (provided at the attraction), and if the person is falling out of the chair, you'll need to transfer into the vehicle.

If at any point you're in pain and need a break, the first aid rooms have beds you can use for a short lie down. Just explain your situation to the CM at the desk and they'll sort you out. I have ME and chronic pain, so these have been an absolute blessing for me!

Now for the ride-specific stuff:

For Test Track, they do have an alternative boarding point at the seat belt check. This means that instead of stepping down into the vehicle, you can sit on the side and swing your legs in (kind of like getting into a bath). Just ask a CM and they'll take you round there.

At HM you'll be pulled aside be a CM just before you get into the building. They'll then take you to the exit to board there. Often they will let you into the Stretching Room, if you want to see it, but that'll be down to their judgement on the day. When you get to boarding, your ECV will be parked at the side, the Omnimover slowed or stopped and you'll be allowed to board. Getting off the ride is pretty much the same in reverse - they'll know which Doombuggy you're in, slow the belt and give you time to get safely off and back to your scooter.

For Spaceship Earth, you need to go in through the exit. Go to the interactive playground bit and find the ride exit - there will be a waiting area there run by a couple of CMs. When it's your turn, they'll call you up and you go up the ramp to where everyone else is unloading. You can then park up and get yourself into a car and at the end will come right back to your ECV.

For Finding Nemo, go through the regular line (be warned, it's pretty dark in there, so go slow) and a CM will pull you aside when you get to the loading point. I think they'll take your ECV and pop it through to the exit while you get on and ride (they can slow or stop the Omnimover on this one). I'm not certain on this, as I always stay in my wheelchair, but the CMs there will make sure you get on and off safely.

For things such at POtC, where you have to transfer to a wheelchair for the line, a CM will show you where to park the ECV and get you a chair to use. You'll go through the line (the left one) as usual, then abandon the chair when you get to boarding and ride as normal. There will be a stock of wheelchairs at the end of the ride, which you can use to get back to your own scooter.

OK, this turned out to be more than a couple of points, but I hope it helps! Have an awesome trip :moped:

I've been researching things and the one thing I am still confused about is how getting on rides works. For example, how does it work to board 7DMT given that everyone use the main entrance?
7DMT was already answered and I will answer the other specific you have asked about.
As others mentioned, the CMs will see you are using an ECV and/or wheelchair and route you to the correct place.
All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the point of loading (exception Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Tom Sawyer Island and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse). Not all are ECV accessible; for those that are not, you will see an icon at the attraction entrance and on park maps of a person getting out of the ECV. The attractions where the line is not accessible do have wheelchairs available for guests to use if they can’t walk in lines.

There is more information and specifics in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It is located near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.
Post 28 on page 2 of that thread has a list of all attractions with moving walkways and stairs. It includes information about where the stairs are and the bypass.

Similarly, how does it work with the omnimover rides such as Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth? I would likely need the boarding walkway slowed, which I understand is possible, but where do we go to board?
ECVs and wheelchairs can go into the stretching room and experience it with the other guests. As you enter the building, the CM will tell you to keep to the right and enter the stretching room after the other guests, staying to the right rear of the room. When exiting, you will be told to wait to exit until all the other guests have gone out. Then you will be directed to a hallway that leads to the exit for boarding. At that point, you would let the CM know what you need (slow it, sit until you can board, etc).
If you can walk about 100 feet and back to park it, you can drive it to the ECV/wheelchair parking area and come back in. If not, another member of your party can do it for you. After riding, you can go get it or you can stand and wait while another member of your party gets it and brings it back to you.

Spaceship Earth has a separate ECV/wheelchair waiting area at the exit. The CM there will let you know what to do. When they are ready for you, a CM will take you up the exit ramp to board. ECVs can’t come up that ramp, but if you don’t think you can walk it, they have attraction wheelchairs you can borrow.
They can slow the walkway, but don’t like to stop it, even for people bring lifted in (they have had situations where people panicked and got of ride cars when it was stopped).
Ask the CM at the entrance - you may be directed to enter the building thru the exit, be offered an attraction wheelchair or be told your ECV can be taken in the regular line. It is listed as ECV riders transfer to wheelchair, but some of the smaller, more manouverable ECVs have no issue within the line.
For guests with mobility devices using the regular line, at the point that the line turns for boarding, you will be directed to go straight ahead into a small hallway where you will wait until you board at the regular boarding area. Even though the load and unload areas look far apart, the unload area is actually at the other end of the short hallway. CMs take mobility devices from the hallway to the unload area.

If you can walk a short distance, Peter Pan is accessible, but you need to be able to get in and out quickly because they slow or stop it.
Test Track’s queue is considered ECV accessible. After you board, a CM takes the ECV over the track to the other side using a small elevator. It also has an alternate load area at the seat belt check. It does not require stepping down into the car, but you need to be able to get over the side of the car - similar to getting into a tub. So many people find it is not more helpful than boarding in the regular boarding area.

For almost every ride, show or attraction at WDW, you will follow the main queue. If, for some reason that's different, (i.e. Beauty & the Beast at HS - has a LEGENDARY ramp system down to the HA seating, unless you choose to sit in the back row, then you miss all the "fun" LOL) then you will either see that clearly marked, or a CM will direct you! In some cases, I have a family member go get my ECV; in others, we let the CM get it - it just depends. Probably 90% of the time, either I can walk to it, or a family member brings it back to me.

When it comes to the moving walkways, it sounds like you have a handle on which ones can be slowed/stopped, and which can't.

Typically, I drive my personal ECV through the queue or access line as far as I can, and then I either park (or hand off to a CM) and then walk a few steps to board the ride. On the few rides where I can take my ECV along, I always do. Some rides you will hand off your ECV and then use a Disney-supplied wheelchair to either navigate the queue (like Buzz Lightyear in MK or POC in MK) or you might even take the Disney chair onto the ride vehicle/boat (like Small World in MK). It's kind of a mix, but just ask the CM at the entrance to the attraction, and they will give you the scoop on what to expect, where you can take the ECV, and where you will park it! :)

You can also keep an eye out for that universal HA symbol (the stick figure in the wheelchair) - typically those "special" entrances are pretty well marked, but when in doubt, ask a CM! They will always be glad to show you where to go.

Personally, what stops me cold at WDW is any time there is a step down that is more than about 6 inches, because I no longer have the ability to make the step back *up* after the ride is over. That, plus the moving walkway issue, means I miss a lot of fan favorites - like POC, Pooh, Peter Pan, FEA, etc.

I know that feeling you are having - like @Simba's Mom, I cried the first time I had to use an ECV at WDW. (I was in the Parks, and had to call to have one delivered; I couldn't go any further) But then, that night, I was able to go all the way past the Kiss Goodnight, and on down to Disney Springs to have an Adult Beverage ™ and I realized that I never would have been able to do that without the ECV. Some people view it as being "tethered" to a device, but for me, it gave me my freedom back. I can go all day, rope drop to last call at WDW, and without the ECV, I would not be able to make it to the bus stop in the morning.

Once you are there, and you have had a chance to really use the ECV, and see how everything works, you will be fine. I promise! It will all just kind of fall into place. WDW really is the easiest place to vacation on wheels.

I'm so glad to know that we have been helpful for you! That's really great! :) I hope you will come back and tell us all about your trip!

And don't worry about using the ECV - worry about everyone else you are traveling with keeping up with you! ;)
Very good post - just to avoid confusion....
POC - does not have a moving walkway, but is a very big step down (and back up to get out)
Pooh - the line is not ECV accessible, but there is no moving walkway and it is a not a step down.
Peter Pan - already mentioned; is a moving walkway and a short load and unload time, but it is a pretty much straight step in.
FEA - Frozen Ever After does not have a moving walkway, but is a very high step over the side.

Regarding the Open Mouse Book mentioned by a poster earlier, it’s not a bad book (I was a contributor for the first edition).

I would not recommend it though because the current edition (2nd edition) was published in 2007, so it is very outdated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter