I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fight.

I'm surprised that they didn't have undercover security there. WDW has semi-undercover security (look for the clear ear pieces with side pieces) and cops. The people that showed up looked like normal, rent a cop security guards without weapons. Plus, the girl that showed up had her hair down, when most female security guards would have it tied back.

Disneyland could have handled the situation quicker and I hope that they start placing security in Toontown. It's just weird to not have anyone located in or near that area.

Honestly, they should have some form of security in ever area of the park.

I'm of the opinion that security saw it was about to go down and they were there the whole time (guys with grey caps and backpacks, one guy was just there casually making a phone call). There was some lead-up or else it would not have been recorded for all the internet to see. They treated it like a hockey fight though - nobody external to the family was involved so let them have it out. In fact, I think if Good Samaritans had not stepped in, they likely would have just isolated the family and let it play out.
This would be a terrible policy. What if that man managed to kill one of the people he was attacking? I highly doubt Disney wants a highly visible and violent fight to just “run it’s course” in front of other guests.

How much do Disney security guards make an hour? $15? Less?

That guy was on a roll with his punches. He's a big guy and could do a lot of damage. I don't know about you but that's not enough money for me to take one of his punches. That's what the police are for......not rent a cops. It took 3 guys to take him down and one of them was choking him out in order to subdue him.

I think security got there in a timely manner. Three minutes is too long for some people? Yes it may feel like an eternity while you are there or while we are watching but in the grand scheme of things 3 minutes is not long at all.

IMO Disney should have plain clothes armed police officers in every area of the park. Especially in the world we live in today. What happened in DL was not a job for Disney security. It was beyond their scope.

How much do Disney security guards make an hour? $15? Less?

That guy was on a roll with his punches. He's a big guy and could do a lot of damage. I don't know about you but that's not enough money for me to take one of his punches. That's what the police are for......not rent a cops. It took 3 guys to take him down and one of them was choking him out in order to subdue him.

I think security got there in a timely manner. Three minutes is too long for some people? Yes it may feel like an eternity while you are there or while we are watching but in the grand scheme of things 3 minutes is not long at all.

IMO Disney should have plain clothes armed police officers in every area of the park. Especially in the world we live in today. What happened in DL was not a job for Disney security. It was beyond their scope.

Disney guests get paid $0 for stopping a fight. If its security's job then they need to do their job.

When the guy got choked out, one of the men there was a high school football coach and if the others were anything but guests, he was unaware of it because he said that they were all guests.

Disney guests get paid $0 for stopping a fight. If its security's job then they need to do their job.

When the guy got choked out, one of the men there was a high school football coach and if the others were anything but guests, he was unaware of it because he said that they were all guests.

I’m not saying it’s a Disney guests job. I know the man who choked him was a guest. I wouldn’t break up a fight of that magnitude as a guest or an unarmed security guard. IMO that is a police officers job. Not an unarmed security guard making a little more than minimum wage.

I work at a hospital and fights like that, and worse, have broken out at work. When it’s something that big the police come in. Sheriffs officers and police officers are on campus at all times. Disney should have police officers patrolling the parks at all times.

I’m not saying it’s a Disney guests job. I know the man who choked him was a guest. I wouldn’t break up a fight of that magnitude as a guest or an unarmed security guard. IMO that is a police officers job. Not an unarmed security guard making a little more than minimum wage.

I work at a hospital and fights like that, and worse, have broken out at work. When it’s something that big the police come in. Sheriffs officers and police officers are on campus at all times. Disney should have police officers patrolling the parks at all times.

Security breaks up fights in malls, school campuses, hospitals, stores, etc. If its part of their job description, then its their job, regardless of what they are paid.

The police should be called but sometimes someone in a fight can get seriously injured before they can get there. Security not doing their job can result in a law suit.

Security breaks up fights in malls, school campuses, hospitals, stores, etc. If its part of their job description, then its their job, regardless of what they are paid.

The police should be called but sometimes someone in a fight can get seriously injured before they can get there. Security not doing their job can result in a law suit.
Even the police have no duty to protect (unless the person is in custody). That has been ruled over and over. A lawsuit may be brought, but a security officer doesn't have to risk his life to get involved in a family fight.

Said this earlier in the thread but Disney doesn't expect something like this to happen regularly, and they're not going to overdo it with security as a result of one viral video. If it was happening on a monthly or weekly basis? If something worse happened? Then sure, maybe they would need to do something, but it's not a big issue at Disney parks. I've never had to deal with anything remotely like this whenever I've visited WDW or DL and I'm guessing that's the case for most of the people who post here.

Said this earlier in the thread but Disney doesn't expect something like this to happen regularly, and they're not going to overdo it with security as a result of one viral video. If it was happening on a monthly or weekly basis? If something worse happened? Then sure, maybe they would need to do something, but it's not a big issue at Disney parks. I've never had to deal with anything remotely like this whenever I've visited WDW or DL and I'm guessing that's the case for most of the people who post here.

I don’t think having a cop or two in each park is overdoing it. They have them at the gates already (or at least I feel like I see them there every time we go). These parks are small cities. Honestly I always assumed Disney had plain clothes officers in each park. With the threat of terrorism and just the way the world is it has been my assumption for years.

We have a few officers patrolling our entire campus. They may not just be in the hospital. They stroll around to the outpatient side, work force management building. etc.

Last edited:
I don’t think having a cop or two in each park is overdoing it. They have them at the gates already (or at least I feel like I see them there every time we go). These parks are small cities. Honestly I always assumed Disney had plain clothes officers in each park. With the threat of terrorism and just the way the world is it has been my assumption for years.

We have a few officers patrolling our entire campus. They may not just be in the hospital. They stroll around to the outpatient side, the cancer institute, work force management building. etc.
I assume they have police in the background somewhere but they don't want them actually roaming the parks unless absolutely necessary because it disturbs the aura of comfort and safety at Disney. I'm not really a historian about this stuff but that feels like something Walt would be a stickler about.

Even the police have no duty to protect (unless the person is in custody). That has been ruled over and over. A lawsuit may be brought, but a security officer doesn't have to risk his life to get involved in a family fight.

But someone OTHER than the family could get hurt. With other people trying to stop the fight, they could have been injured. If security doesn't stop it and the police cannot get there, the only other option is to let them fight it out. So big guy starts beating female's head against the pavement. You realize she could be dead before the police get there.

Does Disneyland have its on police force? If not, they can't really expect the local sheriff's office or city police to provide officers to patrol their property. And as a county or city tax payer, I would be a bit upset that they were being paid to patrol private property.

Does Disneyland have its on police force? If not, they can't really expect the local sheriff's office or city police to provide officers to patrol their property. And as a county or city tax payer, I would be a bit upset that they were being paid to patrol private property.

Never mind. Found my answer. One article says they have a police force that patrol with police dogs. Looks like they needed them in Toontown that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter