I'm suppose to leave 4/1...anyone else cancelling?

Neither of which would be avoided by taking a 5 digit priced vacation...
I have never taken a 5 digit vacation unfortunatel. But to your point actually someone’s 5 digit vacation keeps many people employed. Airline employees, hotel employees, park staff, etc. Economics, it’s adult stuff.

I have never taken a 5 digit vacation unfortunatel. But to your point actually someone’s 5 digit vacation keeps many people employed. Airline employees, hotel employees, park staff, etc. Economics, it’s adult stuff.

And when emergencies happen, frivolous stuff, like unneeded vacations, go away, and people suck it up. We could go all day about discussing whether a dollar is worth more than a life, and how many dollars it takes to be worth one life, but I doubt either one of us would convince the other...and this is a Disney Hawaiian vacation board, not a public policy vs economics board, so it's my last post.

while yes this is a vacation discussion type board, due to how much hawaii's economy depends on tourism...hawaii will likely feel the effects of these shutdowns longer than other states, and more sharply as well.

and it will likely have an impact on everyone's next trip. the longer this mess continues, the more small businesses will decide to simply shut down for good...which translates into a lot of people's favorite little spots to eat (food trucks, haleiwa, etc.) may not be there the next time they go...things like which hotels have the best service may be radically different...or the same...there could even be the possibility that things switch over to being less affordable, and more for just the super rich.

everyone can see what happens when this virus runs rough shod over someplace...and its really horrifying...but its still important to realize whats happening during the shutdown and to be ready for things to possibly be very different from what you may remember/expect from previous trips...for those who are planning on coming after the shutdowns are done, it may be very important to be very flexible with plans, and to reset your expectations for everything.

Today I called to cancel our trip scheduled over Memorial Day weekend. DVC member services were very accommodating. They Unborrowed the 2021 points and returned it into my 2021 use year in addition to refunding the one time purchase points that I had to use to complete my reservation. It is a bummer that we won’t be able to go on our trip, but feel like we have absolutely made the right decision. Planning to visit in December around the holidays instead if things settle down. Also, American Airlines policy was very customer friendly. They returned our miles and gave us full credit for a couple other tickets booked with credit card points to be used for travel by end of the year. Wish you all get the same kind of treatment all around should you decide to cancel/reschedule.

We're also booked to go over Memorial Day weekend, but we're going to hold out a little longer to see what happens. I'm thinking the beginning of May will add clarity. We booked this trip with banked 2018 points(Dec UY), and I'm fearful that we won't find another time to go when the kids aren't in school. Also, we booked on Hawaiian air, so a credit isn't as flexible as with other airlines. Meaning, I can't use the credit to take a flight to Orlando instead of Hawaii, because of course, Hawaiian Air doesn't fly to Orlando...

If it comes down to it, and in early May, there's no sign of them opening, we'll have to suck it up and find a way around it. Just haven't figured what that is yet.

Cancel now. Even if rates of infection go down this virus isn't going to magically disappear in two months. If you don't care about yourselves care about others that you will be in contact with.
Like Pete Werner said unless they put a magic cure in the water we aren't going to be out of the woods for a while.

Cancel now. Even if rates of infection go down this virus isn't going to magically disappear in two months. If you don't care about yourselves care about others that you will be in contact with.
Like Pete Werner said unless they put a magic cure in the water we aren't going to be out of the woods for a while.

I agree with you that the virus is probably here to stay with peaks/seasonal rotations similar to seasonal flu (not to say it’s same in severity just the cycle/waves) I don’t foresee this going away anytime soon hence not making any travel plans for Hawaii or anywhere else for 2020.
The thing that has been on my mind the last couple days...how is it that a major country in asia is resuming some normal operations already? How with 1.3billion people had less deaths than Italy (60 million) or Spain? Obviously many have doubted the legitimacy of those reports before but now I’m wondering, can we expect a 2.5 month lockdown and then just heightened surveillance like them?

I agree with you that the virus is probably here to stay with peaks/seasonal rotations similar to seasonal flu (not to say it’s same in severity just the cycle/waves) I don’t foresee this going away anytime soon hence not making any travel plans for Hawaii or anywhere else for 2020.
The thing that has been on my mind the last couple days...how is it that a major country in asia is resuming some normal operations already? How with 1.3billion people had less deaths than Italy (60 million) or Spain? Obviously many have doubted the legitimacy of those reports before but now I’m wondering, can we expect a 2.5 month lockdown and then just heightened surveillance like them?

hard to say with so little information being known about the virus itself, and the well known issues of supply shortages making testing difficult.

too many possibilities as well...China is well known for having rigid controls over information sharing...but on the flipside...look at whats happening in the US right now...mixed messages in the media and at the different levels of government...shortages of supplies, medicine, and soon shortages of hospital beds...(or look at Italy right now)...same as with the early parts of the spread in China, many medical experts believe the total infected #'s are much higher than the official counts in every country as well.

does that mean China has been telling the whole truth from the start of wuhan getting locked down...probably not...but it doesn't seem like its too far from the truth at this point (and sadly they will be the guinea pigs as to whether or not you can get the virus again...).

with India...they may have 1.3 billion people...but they seem to have gotten the spread a bit later than other countries...so even if the virus doubles every day...it will take a while to go from 1 to a number big enough where its obvious that things have gone sideways.

hawaii has over 90 cases now...and still not a whole lot of testing happening...the first fatality to the virus has been retracted since it turns out that person didn't actually have the virus...so its not like anyones doing all that great in terms of portraying an accurate picture of whats happening.

Praying for all and hoping that mine and my wife's rescheduled trip for the last week of August happens.

In mid Jan I switched my stay from April to mid Sept because in my gut I felt things were not good. Now I fear Sept might have been optimistic. I'm praying for everybody no matter what their plans are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!