i'm starting a 100 day exercise challenge. anyone want to join me?

again... was that post direct at you?
nope.
did i say you did not give good advice?
nope.

i have cut what i eat in half and have doubled my exercise so basically now you are telling me i need to cut that amount of food in half and double that exercise and i'll see results?
doesn't seem very practial but i'll do it.
First of all, you have made a great first start. You have added vegetables, you have added exercise. Getting healthy is all about baby steps.

One of Einstein's most famous quotes is "Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

You have made some great changes but are not seeing the results that you nor your doctor want to see. So it is time to add in the next set of baby steps to change what you are doing.

You have had some great advice on this thread. I will add that the most important thing to weight loss and your journey to healthy living is Awareness. You will not get anywhere without being fully aware of what you are doing. You need to be aware of everything that is going into your mouth and how it affects your goal, portion sizes, what your exercising is doing, what your food triggers are and just to be completely self aware.

For instance, somebody up thread mentioned that your dip is 30 calories. Sparkpeople and Myfitnesspal have it at 50 calories for a 2 tablespoon serving. Your thumb, from the tip to the first knuckle is about a tablespoon. Not very much is it? 50 calories for 2 small thumb tips? Using it as a dip, you probably are using more than double that. If you are sticking to a 1200 calorie diet, that is almost 10% of your daily calories. Even though the ingredients are healthy, the calorie count is high. You did a great job adding veggies to your diet. Now it is time to step it up and learn to enjoy the veggies without the high calorie dip.

11048180.png

HandGuide_PortionControl-300x246.jpg

Good luck in your weight loss endeavor!

I've lost 16 lbs since Jan 11th. My personal goal is 5 lbs a month.
Do I eat healthy 100% of the time? No, if I want ice cream once a week I have it. If I want a second cup of coffee I have it. But I don't do it every day.

I do track calories and exercise. I do cook almost everything from scratch, I do exercise 5-6 days a week. I refuse to do 7 days every week because I think everyone needs a down day every now and then so if I get up and don't feel like going to the gym I don't.

It's not going to be easy, you'll have good days and bad days. You'll have days that you eat great and exercise a ton and days where you eat poorly and don't exercise enough. It's really all about balance.

Eliminating as much processed food as possible is a good first step, processed food is loaded with sodium and sugar. Using fresh veggies instead of frozen or canned is better for you. Roasting veggies brings out the natural sugars and makes them taste so much better than steamed or canned.

A typical day for me is:

S: protein bar before I head to the gym
B: coffee, 1/2 of a grapefruit and an egg (either hardboiled or scrambled without any milk added. Sometimes I have a bit of cheese with the egg)
L: usually left overs from the previous nights dinner, or sometimes grilled chicken with veggies on a flatbread, or a salad with chicken and homemade dressing
D: some kind of lean protein (chicken, fish, pork) without heavy sauces, roasted veggies, sometimes rice and a glass of 1% milk
S: either an apple or rice cake with peanut or almond butter. a handful of cashews or other nuts, maybe a cheese stick

When I track my calories I try to add in what I plan on having for breakfast, lunch or dinner as soon as I know what is planned so I know where I am for calories before any exercise. I meal plan for the week on Saturday mornings so that makes this easier to do.

Good luck!!

May be true for you, but not across the board for everybody. I don't deny myself 'anything' - just watch the portions, figure in the calories and make some treats more occasional, than everyday.
Yes I agree that is why I said that it's not ALWAYS true that everything is about calories only and that for ME I need to balance carbs and proteins. It was a suggestion to the OP as to why her plan might not be working for her. I did WW for forever and stuck exactly in my pts range. I lost 5 lbs in 4 months. Okay, not forever, but that's a long time for virtually no results. Once I started balancing carbs and proteins I was able to start losing. However, I know WW works great for a lot of people.

Great job! I love this post and it's inspired me to get back to eating clean again. I do OK in the exercise dept but I'm TERRIBLE in the eating dept.... I just ran my 6th half marathon 2 weeks ago and since then I've been eating everything in sight and I know I've gained... And due to life getting in the way, I haven't even run since then either which is CRAZY for me. I don't think I've ever gone this long without a good long run in but seems like everything has piled on me these last few weeks. When it rains, it pours... And when I'm stressed, I stray from clean eating because I just have too many other things to worry about... So, good on you for posting this and being strong enough to make these awesome goals. I've GOT to get back on track with my eating, regardless of life stress...
Congrats on Hawaii!!! Sounds so nice! :)

I've lost 16 lbs since Jan 11th. My personal goal is 5 lbs a month.
Do I eat healthy 100% of the time? No, if I want ice cream once a week I have it. If I want a second cup of coffee I have it. But I don't do it every day.

I do track calories and exercise. I do cook almost everything from scratch, I do exercise 5-6 days a week. I refuse to do 7 days every week because I think everyone needs a down day every now and then so if I get up and don't feel like going to the gym I don't.

It's not going to be easy, you'll have good days and bad days. You'll have days that you eat great and exercise a ton and days where you eat poorly and don't exercise enough. It's really all about balance.

Eliminating as much processed food as possible is a good first step, processed food is loaded with sodium and sugar. Using fresh veggies instead of frozen or canned is better for you. Roasting veggies brings out the natural sugars and makes them taste so much better than steamed or canned.

A typical day for me is:

S: protein bar before I head to the gym
B: coffee, 1/2 of a grapefruit and an egg (either hardboiled or scrambled without any milk added. Sometimes I have a bit of cheese with the egg)
L: usually left overs from the previous nights dinner, or sometimes grilled chicken with veggies on a flatbread, or a salad with chicken and homemade dressing
D: some kind of lean protein (chicken, fish, pork) without heavy sauces, roasted veggies, sometimes rice and a glass of 1% milk
S: either an apple or rice cake with peanut or almond butter. a handful of cashews or other nuts, maybe a cheese stick

When I track my calories I try to add in what I plan on having for breakfast, lunch or dinner as soon as I know what is planned so I know where I am for calories before any exercise. I meal plan for the week on Saturday mornings so that makes this easier to do.

Good luck!!

I like your typical eating plan. That's pretty much what I eat too (when I'm in a training period and being good). I had a personal trainer tell me once, "fill up on veggies, fruit and lean proteins, make them 90% of your diet", he also said once that losing weight is 80% nutrition 20% exercise. He said you can exercise 24/7 but if you still eat crap food, you're not going to lose and from my experience, I think that's true. I exercise a TON but still eat terrible at times. If my exercise stays the same but I eat clean, I lose. Even if I beef up my exercise and eat crap, I don't lose at all. And I run 25-30 miles a week sometimes. For me, exercise is the easy part, because I enjoy it, it's nutrition that's the hard part for me. I like ice cream too darn much.... ;(

exactly you have nothing vested in this so i don't understand why you jumped in with no good advice for me.
i'm trying to get people that decided 50 some odd days ago to start exercising with me to share their expericence.
you did not join my band wagon so its not your "advice" i'm looking for.

M'kay. Well, hope you find something that works for ya for the 2nd half of your challenge.

And now I'm just done

No! No! No! Don't be done! It's HARD to lose weight and to change your habits. I can understand how you're feeling a bit picked on, you're very brave to put your neck out here and putting yourself out there. I don't think I'm brave enough to do it. The internet is hard, there's always trolls who try to beat everyone down, ignore them (easier said than done I KNOW), that's not motivating. All you can do is the best you can do, just keep trying. Keep trying to do what YOU feel is the right thing, not what anyone else is telling you to do. I haven't read all the comments on this post but I agree with many suggestions people are giving you, just try different ideas and I'll bet you'll find something that works for you. Some things don't work for some people and that's OK! The fact that you're aware and want to change is HUGE! Just keep at the exercise (whatever it is, still better than NO exercise) and fill up on fruit/veggies and lean proteins (that's what a former personal trainer told me once). You've got this!!! Don't let negative people into your bubble. Life is too short. MONSTER HUGS!!!!!!

No! No! No! Don't be done! It's HARD to lose weight and to change your habits. I can understand how you're feeling a bit picked on, you're very brave to put your neck out here and putting yourself out there. I don't think I'm brave enough to do it. The internet is hard, there's always trolls who try to beat everyone down, ignore them (easier said than done I KNOW), that's not motivating. All you can do is the best you can do, just keep trying. Keep trying to do what YOU feel is the right thing, not what anyone else is telling you to do. I haven't read all the comments on this post but I agree with many suggestions people are giving you, just try different ideas and I'll bet you'll find something that works for you. Some things don't work for some people and that's OK! The fact that you're aware and want to change is HUGE! Just keep at the exercise (whatever it is, still better than NO exercise) and fill up on fruit/veggies and lean proteins (that's what a former personal trainer told me once). You've got this!!! Don't let negative people into your bubble. Life is too short. MONSTER HUGS!!!!!!

I'm sorry but who exactly are you calling a troll? People were trying to give her good advice and the OP was the one being rude.

There have been no trolls thankyouverykindly. And you'd know that IF you read any of the other posts!

Monster hugs to everyone who posted good information for the OP but was was responded to rudelyl! Don't let the negativity get you down!

hey all, just popping in to :welcome: those who are new to the WISH board, since this thread has been moved here. And remind everyone of the DIS policies found here http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm specifically#4
While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction

This board is about support and encouragement. For myself I know that I can be quick to read and misjudge what a poster is saying. And other times, maybe just annoyed with what was said, it happens. So i'm here to just to ask that from here on, to refrain from flaming or sarcasm.

to the OP and participants, please stay and chat and continue! WISH is a very friendly community and I'm sure you will like it here!

Hiya!

I'm guessing you live in the States but in the U.K Slimming World is huge! I lost over a stone with it (then moved country and got a desk job so piled it all back on!)

They focus on getting people away from processed food and onto home cooking and ensuring a third of your plate is "speed" food, a third is protein and a third is rice/potatoes/pasta/certain grains. It's about eating until you're not hungry not until your stuffed. I know I'm super guilty for eating when I'm not hungry just for the sake of it! I think America is a bit bigger on convenience food than we are (I always get excited in U.S supermarkets they're so colourful!!) however Slimming World focuses less on exercise (although it is important but you're doing so little exercise it won't counteract the food you're eating) and more on healthy food!

You might be better focusing on the food you're eating first then working in exercise (called body magic on Slimming World). They don't count calories but "syns" kind of like points on weight watchers but only on things that are not in the previous categories, or your allotted bread/grain and dairy.

Another really good thing to do is writing down everything you eat, even if you don't show anyone else it's your personal thing. It makes me see that maybe eating that third chocolate biscuit wasn't a good idea.

If you follow it properly (no cheating ;) ) you should lose between 1-2lb a week!

If you need any help or questions or food plans let me know :) we're all in the same boat! I'm still trying to lose about 2 stone!

OP, please come back and let's continue to share our struggles with weight loss/keeping it off, etc. I always enjoy this 'give and take' as we can encourage each other.

We can be 'truthful' with each other without leaving kindness and tactfulness out of the picture. It's easy to become discouraged and hurt without this. I have had many down days when the scales wouldn't budge, but hang in there because they 'will' continue to move again with consistency. :grouphug: Fitness is a 'life long' battle for all of us, no matter what our weight.

OP here!

i was not sure if/when i would come back to this thread because of the discouraging posts i was getting.

i felt like everyone was only telling me what i was doing "wrong".

well i guess i should actually be thanking those people in a way because while for a few days i was ready to give up completely due to the negativity i ended up saying "screw you all" and coming up with a new plan for myself and that would not have happened if not for the harshness.

i decided that i would not post if what i came up with did not work for me because i would only hear what i was doing "wrong" again.

first i'll give you my stats and then i'll let you know what i've been doing so you cannot tell me that what i'm doing is "wrong" because clearly its "right" for me in my health and fitness journey because it works!

at the time of my last post i was right where i had started at day one.
212lbs
sold size 18

today at day 104 i am 200lbs and moving into a size 16 in clothing. (at the moment i'm more like a very loose 18 but a kinda snug 16 in pants and a solid 16 in tops)

thats right 12lbs lost in about 50 days!

so here's what i've been doing...
diet
-pineapple or a banana for breakfast
-10 grape tomatoes, 1/3 of a very long cucumber, 6 carrot sticks, and 1-2 celery stalks for lunch with tzatziki or hummus depending on what i feel like
-a low fat greek yogurt or low fat cottage cheese for a snack
-whatever the hell i want for dinner! if we are having pizza and wings thats what i'm having. if we are having steak, baked potato, and asparagus thats what i'm having. if we are having hot dogs, potato salad, and baked beans thats what i'm having, if we are having taco salad and rice thats what i'm having.
-late night snack sorta depends on the day. sometimes i have a granola bar, sometimes i have mini eggs that i still have from easter, sometimes i have a homemade dessert if someone made something and there's left overs. and i have any of that with a glass of milk.

i try to drink about 100oz of water a day and because i've been using a water bottle instead of a glass i am more conscious of how much i'm drinking throughout the day.

since drinking more water i have found it easier to pick and choose when i want my pepsi.
i think about what i may be eating that week and then when it comes time to eat dinner i think do i want pepsi with this meal or do i want pepsi tomorrow with that meal. even though i wanted it with every meal i end up talking myself out of it more often than not and i feel good about it in the end!

there has been a day here and there that i have eaten badly all day because i was out somewhere and not home where my fruits and veggies were.
for example last monday i was at 2 different memorial day picnics so i had lots of junk but i knew the next day i would be back to my fruit, veggies and water so i didn't feel bad about it.

as for exercise i've continued to walk the 2 mile a day route that i came up with.
i had thrown in a couple of very short interval runs but i then hurt my knee and had to stop exercising for 2 weeks so when i felt better i decided that running is not for me so i continue to briskly walk.

well thats about all i have to report.

i will continue doing the same things until i find that they are no longer working for me and then i will try to do something to switch it up.

OP here!

i was not sure if/when i would come back to this thread because of the discouraging posts i was getting.

i felt like everyone was only telling me what i was doing "wrong".

well i guess i should actually be thanking those people in a way because while for a few days i was ready to give up completely due to the negativity i ended up saying "screw you all" and coming up with a new plan for myself and that would not have happened if not for the harshness.

i decided that i would not post if what i came up with did not work for me because i would only hear what i was doing "wrong" again.

first i'll give you my stats and then i'll let you know what i've been doing so you cannot tell me that what i'm doing is "wrong" because clearly its "right" for me in my health and fitness journey because it works!

at the time of my last post i was right where i had started at day one.
212lbs
sold size 18

today at day 104 i am 200lbs and moving into a size 16 in clothing. (at the moment i'm more like a very loose 18 but a kinda snug 16 in pants and a solid 16 in tops)

thats right 12lbs lost in about 50 days!

so here's what i've been doing...
diet
-pineapple or a banana for breakfast
-10 grape tomatoes, 1/3 of a very long cucumber, 6 carrot sticks, and 1-2 celery stalks for lunch with tzatziki or hummus depending on what i feel like
-a low fat greek yogurt or low fat cottage cheese for a snack
-whatever the hell i want for dinner! if we are having pizza and wings thats what i'm having. if we are having steak, baked potato, and asparagus thats what i'm having. if we are having hot dogs, potato salad, and baked beans thats what i'm having, if we are having taco salad and rice thats what i'm having.
-late night snack sorta depends on the day. sometimes i have a granola bar, sometimes i have mini eggs that i still have from easter, sometimes i have a homemade dessert if someone made something and there's left overs. and i have any of that with a glass of milk.

i try to drink about 100oz of water a day and because i've been using a water bottle instead of a glass i am more conscious of how much i'm drinking throughout the day.

since drinking more water i have found it easier to pick and choose when i want my pepsi.
i think about what i may be eating that week and then when it comes time to eat dinner i think do i want pepsi with this meal or do i want pepsi tomorrow with that meal. even though i wanted it with every meal i end up talking myself out of it more often than not and i feel good about it in the end!

there has been a day here and there that i have eaten badly all day because i was out somewhere and not home where my fruits and veggies were.
for example last monday i was at 2 different memorial day picnics so i had lots of junk but i knew the next day i would be back to my fruit, veggies and water so i didn't feel bad about it.

as for exercise i've continued to walk the 2 mile a day route that i came up with.
i had thrown in a couple of very short interval runs but i then hurt my knee and had to stop exercising for 2 weeks so when i felt better i decided that running is not for me so i continue to briskly walk.

well thats about all i have to report.

i will continue doing the same things until i find that they are no longer working for me and then i will try to do something to switch it up.
There was not a single person who tried to discourage you. We were all trying to help you. Was there a little tough love? Yeah, probably, but most of us were trying to share what helped us be successful. And essentially your plan is following what we all were trying to tell you, which is to eat less. If it got you all fired up and motivated you into action, well then, good on ya. Sometimes it take a little "I'll show them," to get you going in the right direction. Congrats on the loss, I mean that sincerely. I wish you continued success!

There was not a single person who tried to discourage you. We were all trying to help you. Was there a little tough love? Yeah, probably, but most of us were trying to share what helped us be successful. And essentially your plan is following what we all were trying to tell you, which is to eat less. If it got you all fired up and motivated you into action, well then, good on ya. Sometimes it take a little "I'll show them," to get you going in the right direction. Congrats on the loss, I mean that sincerely. I wish you continued success!

thank you for your support!

i'd like to add that perhaps you and everyone else did not find that the comments were discouraging me but telling me things like i need to count calories and i need to not eat what i normally would eat for dinner was discouraging.
in that respect i really did say screw you all because i'm still eating whatever i want for dinner and i'm not counting a single calorie!

please note that that comment was not meant to be taken as me being rude but more or less me trying to explain that those comments did have a negative impact on me and because of them i chose not to do what people said.

thank you for your support!

i'd like to add that perhaps you and everyone else did not find that the comments were discouraging me but telling me things like i need to count calories and i need to not eat what i normally would eat for dinner was discouraging.
in that respect i really did say screw you all because i'm still eating whatever i want for dinner and i'm not counting a single calorie!

please note that that comment was not meant to be taken as me being rude but more or less me trying to explain that those comments did have a negative impact on me and because of them i chose not to do what people said.
I'm sure I suggested counting calories to get an idea about how much you were actually eating but I also told you to eat whatever you want, just less of it. I'm 100% in the moderation camp (will be having pizza and a homemade brownie for dinner), no food is off limits, it just needs to be eaten in proper portions. Reading over your plan, you have cut calories from your breakfast, lunch and snacks, so you are doing what most of us tried to tell you needed to be done. I'm pointing this out only because I hope you understand that's is not *what* you eat but how *much* you eat. Your plan is a good one and seems balanced but if you start to stall I would suggest taking a look at your amounts. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter