I'm ready for our tent prepping, Disney camping, Nov packing fun...why am I sad?

Running_Bell

Mouseketeer
Ahh... I love the planning stages of trips... especially camping ones. I love to make lists... menu lists, clothing lists, things to buy lists, things to do lists, well... you get the picture. I know many of you reading this like to do these same things ... who do you think I got it from :worship:

Anyway.... I've never done a pre-trip report but I thought I would this time... my head is so full of... stuff... that I want to share it with you all..... even if I'm the only one reading it. (If you do read... please feel free to share any wisdom, advice, suggestions, ideas, happy thoughts, prayers... all are welcome)

As I plan this adventure.... I'm finding that NOTHING stays the same in life... this trip will be very different....thus explaining why I'm sad at the most happy time.

For one, in the past when we've been to Fort Wilderness, we've taken an RV... not our RV, but an RV. We have wonderful retired neighbors who practically have given us a spare key to their RV so that we can use it... whenever. Wow...this is such a wonderful thing.. and nerve wrecking. But... whatever nervousness we had, we got over it and we did use the RV 3 times over the years to come to Disney. We loved it. However... we love to camp in our tent and have decided to do this instead... cheaper in gas, cheaper site, have a car to drive around...you know "kill two birds with one stone" (which always sounded morbid to me... but you get the drift).

So.. lodging has now been solidified... now who all is going?... well, this is a no brainer... the same as always, right? My how things can change (this addresses the sad part)..... I approach our 18 year old, newly a HS grad, entering the college world DS...

ME: "Hey... we're going back to Disney... yay... whippie horray.... aren't you excited?"

DS: chirp chirp chirp

ME: "you don't want to go to Disney World, but WHY?":sad2:

DS: "mom... I'm 18 ... I'll be in school and just not in to Disney right now... oh and by the way, I want to move in to my own place"

ME: "what?"

So.... DS found a roommate (very happy it's not his girlfriend ;))... found his own place near school... and we moved him out last weekend ..... boo hoo. The house seems very weird... and quiet. I know he's just trying to grow up... but ... well, I wasn't ready for it yet.

Okay... so planning the trip is gonna be strange and challenging... I'm finding I tear up at the most odd times... call it hormones.... DH thinks I'm about to lose it. It's all good.

It'll be me, DH, and DD (10) and my mom. My mom comes with us on every vacation, since my dad passed away 5 years ago. We have enjoyed her so much.... so...I called her up:

Me: "hey mom... guess what? we're going back to Disney again and this time to see Harry Potter"

MOM: "Great... when?"

Me: "November, and we're taking the tent this time"

MOM: chirp chirp chirp

Me: "mom, you there? "

MOM: "Uh... the tent, huh, wow, gee... Why?"

Me: "We thought it would be more fun...like a little adventure"

MOM: "Uh... gee, wow, I think I'll pass"

Me: "WHAT?... you don't want to stay in the tent... at DISNEY WORLD"???? (do you all see a pattern here??)

With my disbelief that the entire crew is not coming to Disney.... I just gotta keep planning..... dispite the sadness, the shock and the challenge of planning for only 3 of us? odd.

Last year I invited my MIL and our faux FIL ( I call him that because he is like a grand dad to the kids and like my FIL, however, even though they've been together almost 15 years... they've never talked marriage... and still live 10 minutes from each other).

Having them along last year didn't work out well .... my DH was not happy that I had invited them, he kept saying "it's not a good fit"..."it's will hold us back"..."they'd be better suited for a different type of vacation" why didn't I listen... it really was quite horrible and to this day, a year later DH continues to remind me of the disastrous events (which is an entire thread all it's own).... To put it in a nutshell....they enjoy sleeping until noon, going to bed at 8pm, not staying at the parks more than a few hours, being late EVERYWHERE, it was a trip of tardiness and misses, for us Disney is go, go, go... most days MIL stayed back at the hotel to sleep in and didn't show up to half of the stuff we had reserved... anyway. She and my mom are quite different... my mom is 75, fiesty and will do anything(EXCEPT obviously ... she won't sleep in a tent...) my MIL is 10 years younger, but acts 20 years older.... they can get on each others nerves. Don't get me wrong, I love my MIL and respect our differences, and really, really enjoy her company when we are doing things she likes. But, I don't think Disney was the right vacation for us to share...

But, did I learn my lesson???... uh, well I have an irritating character that I feel I have to invite everyone on our family vacations...

Hmmm.... but just maybe we could try it again with them? Since it's just us three... (I have to keep asking myself...why can't I just be okay with the three of us?) Perhaps I'll talk with DH about it. UH.... I think I already know what he's gonna say... but hey, we'll see. The more the merrier, right?

Just a side note here.... thank you all for allowing me to write all this up... I've burned the ears off my family just talking Disney day in and day out... now I can just write it all. thanks!

Just as I suspected.... the DH was NOT impressed with my idea of inviting his mom again. :confused3 He wants it to just be us this time.... so okay...I will be planning our Disney vacation for only the three of us.

I don't know how many of you have had a child move out... but I'm finding it very hard to deal with. Did you ?

So... here's the clan attending.... and even those that aren't. I couldn't find photos of just the three of us...(I posted my favorite photo of a few years back... it shows DS, DD and then behind them Me, and my mom)... DH is taking the photo. I love this photo since it shows big brother having fun with little sis.

These photos are old... from 2007 trip, so DS looks so young... :hug:

group20072.jpg

and more of the crew.... my mom, DD, DS and me... I'm beginning to think that DH is not in any of our photos

group20073.jpg

Finally... here's DH in a photo:

group2007.jpg

The Planning:
Well.... planning for 3 will be easier. Now on to the air mattress saga... so stick with our existing ones or upgrade to the higher ones. Hmmm.... decisions. Tonight we're packing up for a Labor Day camping trip in the mountains... it will be a good time to try out some new things I've kinda forced upon the tent. First off... the tent is a cabin style 10 X 14 family tent. We love it. We have just been putting a tarp footprint under the tent, but found it was not at all comfy inside with pebbles still underneath. I convinced DH (who is much more into "roughing it") that we needed inside flooring. So, we bought that interlocking foam flooring .... I think this will be good for many reasons:
1. protect us from sharp objects
2. protect us from cold ground
3. provide more comfort.... why can't you be comfy in a tent? right?

DH thinks it's overkill... oh, DH you have no idea how comfy we will be....:cloud9:

So... to that I have purchased some foam convoluted mattress pads to go on top of the air mattresses and under the normal fitted mattress pads.... air mattresses can get very cold if the temps are cold... pulling body heat away from you..... DH's reaction :rolleyes:

When he's sleeping comfy this weekend when nighttime temps fall to 50 degrees... he'll be all "thank yous"... hopefully. Now, don't get me wrong... I can rough it... I've backpack camped... and it's fun. But, if you don't HAVE to rough it... then why would you?

And adding to the tent essentials for Disney.... a welcome mat, of course.... lights to decorate at the Fort (we never have electric in the State Parks), ..... and I have many more things on my tent list :rolleyes1 DH thinks I'm going a bit overboard....

If you've seen the Harry Potter Goblet of Fire movie... the tent at the Quidditch matches... that's what I'm going for :rotfl:

Can't wait to try some of the flooring and new mattress pads out this weekend... I'll let you all know how it goes.... even if noone reads this... I'm having fun getting all these thoughts out.... Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

whoa... those are some huge photos... I have got to try to reduce those... sorry....

updated the above to smaller photos.... sorry about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter