I'm Outnumbered! Parenting Alone Through The Panama Canal (EBPC 2017)

Yay!! Another awesome trip report. Love watching your kiddos grow up, so cool they did a powerpoint to convince their dad! Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle, that’s great you get to take care of yourself.

Thank you for joining in and for the kind words. I was pretty impressed that the kids were willing to resort to schoolwork to go on this trip. It really demonstrated how badly they wanted to go.

As we collected our luggage, I called the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown for a shuttle pick-up. Now this is where the evening hit a bit of a snafu.

Let me begin by saying that I am an anal traveler. I check, recheck, and triple check every detail before I leave home. In fact, I had called the Hampton Inn that very morning to re-verify that a shuttle would be able to pick me up after 10pm when my flight landed. I was assured by the front desk that their shuttle ran 24/7 and that I would not have any problems. Well...

The woman currently manning the front desk informed me that the shuttle service ended at 10pm. It was currently 10:20pm. Keep in mind that, to me, it was after 1am and all of us were tired and cranky. I tried to maintain a civil tone as I informed the woman that I had just called that morning to verify that a shuttle would pick us up. I was assured that I would be picked up by the hotel. She stated that the shuttle had recently changed its schedule and that I was given incorrect information. After a brief exchange where I expressed my displeasure while doing my best not to morph into The Incredible Hulk, the woman agreed to reimburse me for cab fare to the hotel.

Fortunately, there was a line of taxis waiting. The kids and I rolled our luggage across the street to the cab stand. Embracing my inner Tetris goddess, we, along with our luggage, managed to squeeze into the car. We arrived at the hotel in less than 5 minutes. The ride cost $16.22 including a tip.

When we arrived at the Hampton Inn's front desk, the woman I spoke with on the phone greeted us with an apologetic smile. She immediately reimbursed me for the cab fare and checked us into our room. Her friendly and accommodating personality instantly improved my mood. Though my primary focus was on finding a bed to collapse into.

hampton inn.jpg
www.hhonors.com

I'd booked a standard double queen room. We promptly sprawled out and got ready for bed. It was 11:15pm local time (2:15am to us - double Ugh!)

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.1.jpg

29.jpg

The bed was comfy and inviting. It didn't take long for us to nod off. My Super Family settled into sweet dreams of adventures yet to come.

Up Next...Exploring Sunny San Diego

Last edited:
23-jpg.293376

You and your daughter are looking so much alike!

Day 2, Thursday, October 26, 2017, San Diego

I woke at 6am San Diego time (9am according to my internal clock). Jimmy and Emily were still sound asleep in the next bed. I threw on my clothes and got ready to head down to breakfast. I was putting my shoes on when Emily woke and asked to join me. While I waited for her to dress, I snapped a picture of myself, assuming there probably wouldn't be too many pictures of me taken on this trip.

1.jpg

On the first floor, the Hampton Inn offered its usual hot and cold breakfast selection. This was my plate: seasoned potatoes, a bagel, pineapple, and blueberries. The fruit and potatoes were delicious. I didn't care for the bagel.

2.jpg

Here's Emily.

3.jpg

She obviously had a waffle, but I'm pretty sure there are potatoes and blueberries buried under there somewhere.

4.jpg

For dessert, I got the gluttonous idea to use the waffle toppings on the breakfast bar to sweeten-up hot cocoa. Emily was impressed!

5.jpg

Tell me that doesn't look yummy!

6.jpg

Though the cocoa was my idea, I let the kids have it. I got seconds on the fruit and potatoes. The blueberries were huge, sweet, and juicy.

7.jpg

Like I said, HUGE!

8.jpg

While Emily finished eating, I took some pictures of the breakfast offerings.

Waffles

9.jpg

Waffle toppings

10.jpg

Bread, English muffins, bagels, and muffins

11.jpg

Fruit

12.1.jpg

Cereal and yogurt

12.jpg

Oatmeal and toppings

13.jpg

More fruit

14.jpg

Shredded cheese, boiled eggs, and condiments

15.jpg

Scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and seasoned potatoes

16.jpg

A selection of juices

17.jpg

Just finished your other report, can't wait for more!
We board the Wonder in 10 days and I also have to leave DH at home, which makes me sad and stressed at the same time. Can't wait to see how you coped :)
Reading your TA's I want to sail from Galveston one day.

I was feeling generous this morning so I let Emily have a second cocoa. We're on vacation after all!

18.jpg

19.jpg

Emily got a bowl of blueberries to snack on in the room.

20.jpg

We were both impressed with their size.

21.jpg

I also got breakfast for Jimmy (a bagel and cream cheese), gathered a few yogurts to eat for snacks, and filled our water bottles. It was time to head back upstairs.

22.jpg

I really liked this chandelier.

23.jpg

Here is the lobby and front desk.

24.jpg

The beverage stations.

25.1.jpg

And the lounging area and business center.

25.jpg

Just finished your other report, can't wait for more!
We board the Wonder in 10 days and I also have to leave DH at home, which makes me sad and stressed at the same time. Can't wait to see how you coped :)
Reading your TA's I want to sail from Galveston one day.

I, too, was both sad and stressed. Spoiler alert - Even though we missed James, we had a fantastic time. You will, too. Have a great cruise!

Enjoying your report! We were on the April cruise with your family. Cannot wait to hear if the experience going back through the new locks is any different than the first voyage.

Yay! I enjoy reading all about your adventureswith DCL. You're such a great trip reporter!

On a somber note, my deepest condolences on the passing of your parents and uncle. An "Annus Horribilis", indeed.:oops: Sending strength and comfort your way for your continued healing.:love:

Yay! I enjoy reading all about your adventureswith DCL. You're such a great trip reporter!

On a somber note, my deepest condolences on the passing of your parents and uncle. An "Annus Horribilis", indeed.:oops: Sending strength and comfort your way for your continued healing.:love:

All caught up and joining in. Love all of your trip reports.

Thank you!

Enjoying your report! We were on the April cruise with your family. Cannot wait to hear if the experience going back through the new locks is any different than the first voyage.

Thank you! This cruise didn't carry with it the international excitement of that first passage through the canal, but it was still an incredible experience.

While the food pics make me hungry I'm ready for you to get on board!! That cocoa looks delish!!

I'm getting there....:)

Thank you for joining in and for the kind condolences. I appreciate it.

When Emily and I returned to the room, Jimmy was still sound asleep.

26.jpg

Now that it was daylight, I could check out our view of the port from our room. We'll definitely be able to see the Wonder in the morning.

27.jpg

Emily couldn't wait to play in this park.

28.jpg

With minimal prodding, Jimmy got up and ate breakfast. As could be expected, the kids gravitated to the television.

29.jpg

By 10am, we were ready to head out and explore the city.

30.jpg

We all liked this lounging area outside the hotel.

31.jpg

We headed toward the waterfront. The day was starting out warm, sunny, and only a tad humid.

32.jpg

33.jpg

Tomorrow morning the Disney Wonder will be parked right here. It'll be here before we know it!

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

Today, though, the Ruby Princess is in port. I wonder if her passengers will have as much fun as we will.

37.jpg

We continued to make our way along the waterfront. Here are a couple of tour boats.

38.jpg

The USS Midway

39.jpg

The Greatest Generation Walk

40.1.jpg

Emily showing off her balancing skills

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Eventually, we made our way back to the park. Emily was ready to play. Jimmy and I, on the other hand, were ready for some shade!

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

Eventually, Emily coaxed Jimmy into joining in the fun.

55.jpg

56.jpg

After three hours of being in the hot sun, we decided to make our way back to the hotel. Though we were hot and sticky, we opted to take the long way around the construction on the street.

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

I love reading your reports! So glad to be joining in on this one. My dream is to do a PC trip (don't really care which way :))

On another note- I'm sorry for your loss of your parents and uncle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!