I'm going to Tokyo! And Shanghai! And Hong Kong! PTR

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
Okay, I think I have figured it all out! If no weird things happen this year, 2017 will be the year to visit all three Asia parks in one two-week solo-vacation! :D The plan is to travel from Amsterdam to Hong Kong, to Shanghai, to Tokyo and then back. 1,5-2 days for Disneyland Hong Kong, 1,5-2 days for Shanghai, 3-4 days for Tokyo. The other days for travelling and sightseeing.

I have no kids or partner or even a cat. :P I can go whenever work permits it. I think I have selected the right weeks, but I would love to hear some opinions. I am looking for low crowd levels and good weather.

Best weather is in Spring, but Golden Week is a pain to plan around. I thought it was just Japan which has holidays in that week, but apparently China also has a lot of holidays, the last days of April and first days of May?

Best crowd levels (according to Disboards & Google)
- Hong Kong doesn’t attract large crowds, as long as you avoid Chinese holidays.
- Shanghai we don’t know yet, but I assume, especially in the first year the same plan as Hong Kong.
- Tokyo, no real low crowd levels, but before and after Golden Week are supposed to be quiet. Especially when you go on Weekdays

Plan 1 was: April 15th - April 29th
Upside: Disneyland Tokyo is probably as quiet as it can be. If lucky, maybe a little bit of cherry blossoms.
Downside: My longhaul flights will be staff tickets, as I work for an airline. Which means, I will be standby. And as it is a vacation period… flights will probably be full.

Plan 2 was: April 29th – May 14th
Upside: Disneyland Tokyo will be quieter after Golden Week.
Downside: Hong Kong and Shanghai will be during Golden Week, and might be busier than necessary.
Due to Golden Week travelling to HKG might be tricky on staff tickets as well.

Plan 3 is: June 10th – 25th
Upside: 2 more months to save money.
Downside: Warmer weather with humidity.

My preferred plan is plan 3. According to the two crowd calendars of Disneyland Tokyo, crowds should be tolerable. So when I played around with the days/weeks, this seems to be the best option. As for the weather, I have survived two vacations in WDW in September, and I don’t think Hong Kong/Shanghai/Tokyo are worse than Florida. Also being able to save more money will release me of feeling guilty about including Hong Kong in this trip. If I would go in April, I actually should shorten this trip a bit.

So any thoughts?

Also suggestions on sightseeing solo in each city are welcome. I have about 2 days per city. I realize 2 sightseeing days for such large cities is not a lot, but as I work for an airline, I can always go back.

Sounds Awesome!

I just did Tokyo Disney, and it was amazing, especially DisneySea! Some of the videos out of Shanghai are super impressive. You're going to have a great time.

Thanks, I'm sure I will! :)

I think I might move my trip forward, just a bit. Only issue was the Chinese Dragon Boat festivals, which might increase the crowds in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

The current plan
Day 1: Amsterdam - Hong Kong, departure at 5:20pm
Day 2: Hong Kong arrival 10:20am.
Day 3: Disneyland Hong Kong
Day 4: Disneyland Hong Kong (depending on day 3 this could be a half or full day at DLH)
Day 5: Hong Kong
Day 6: Hong Kong - Shanghai, early afternoon flight.
Day 7: Disneyland Shanghai
Day 8: Disneyland Shanghai (depending on day 6 this could be a half or full day at DLS)
Day 9: Shanghai
Day 10: Shanghai - Tokyo, late afternoon flight.
Day 11: Tokyo
Day 12: Disneyland Tokyo
Day 13: DisneySea
Day 14: Hop
Day 15: Hop
Day 16: Tokyo
Day 17: Tokyo - Amsterdam, departure 10:10am, arrival 3:00pm

Hong Kong:
It depends on how tired I am after the flight. If I'm lucky I'll get a seat in Economy Comfort or even Business class, then I might have enough energy to do some active sightseeing. If it's 11 hours in Economy... It will be either be just walking around like a zombie, or first take a nap.

I would like to see the Peak, the Harbour, Symphony of Lights. Maybe make a ferry ride, see a temple. Maybe the Jade Market or Ladies Market. If my 2nd day at DLH is a half day, I might stay at Lantau island to see the monastry.

Hotel: Dorsett Mongkok
It's not very city central, but it's near the subway and it has several shuttle services.
rs_1400x0_Room_Comfort.JPG

Shanghai:
No idea yet what I want to see/do here, the Bund, maybe a river cruise, Yuyuan Gardens... Suggestions are welcome!

Hotel: Mercure Shanghai Royalton
Disneyland Shanghai is difficult to plan as long as the park isn't open. It's not visible on googlemaps, therefore chosing a nearby hotel is a bit difficult, so I'm going by the only clue on the website, it's at the end of subway line 11.

This Mercure is near a subway station, but I would need to transfer to get to DLS.
2631759-Mercure-Shanghai-Royalton-Guest-Room-4-DEF.jpg

Tokyo:
Too much to see, but hardly any time! There are so many gardens and temples, and Shibuya Crossing, Meji Shrine, visit the neighbourhoods where the subcultures, like Lolitas or a Maid Cafe, Cat Cafe, too many options :P

Hotel: APA Hotel Tokyo Shiomi Ekimae
Small rooms, but located between the city and Disney Tokyo.
3896399_21_b_w.jpg

For Disneyland, is it possible to upgrade a 3-day passport to a 4 day-passport? I have no idea how much time I need, as I love shows and parades, would love to see some more than once.

A word of warning for your June plan: not only is it very humid, but it's the rainy season in Tokyo. Not sure how much that will affect rides/entertainment in the parks, but it's also not the most pleasant.

Thanks! :) I learned about upgrading your tickets here on the Dis and somehow in my head that was transformed into upgrading tickets being 'super secret knowledge' no one except frequent visitors know about. Hadn't expected it on the official website.

A word of warning for your June plan: not only is it very humid, but it's the rainy season in Tokyo. Not sure how much that will affect rides/entertainment in the parks, but it's also not the most pleasant.

Yeah, I've done some more reading and I will change my dates to May. I'm only a little anxious to travel on staff tickets right after a holiday period. Where I come from it happens more often that the dates right after a holiday/vacation period are also very full because all the singles & families without children decide to go on vacation.

Any advice which weeks in May, or wouldn't it make a difference, except the closer you get to June the warmer it gets?

Any advice which weeks in May, or wouldn't it make a difference, except the closer you get to June the warmer it gets?

I don't think it will matter /too/ much. Just as long as you go after Golden Week, I think you'll be set! I've done the parks at the end of May before the rains start and it's quite nice. :)

We just got back from a trip to Hong Kong and Japan. Got there around May 7 and came home May 22. Weather was generally good, although we got poured on the first day at HKDL, and crowds were relatively low. I'd recommend those dates.

I don't think it will matter /too/ much. Just as long as you go after Golden Week, I think you'll be set! I've done the parks at the end of May before the rains start and it's quite nice. :)

We just got back from a trip to Hong Kong and Japan. Got there around May 7 and came home May 22. Weather was generally good, although we got poured on the first day at HKDL, and crowds were relatively low. I'd recommend those dates.

Thank you for the input! I am now thinking about leave Thursday May 4th till 19th.

And I thought Golden Week in China & Japan was the same period, but it's not anymore. It only has the same name. For China it's now Golden Week in Jan/Feb with Chinese New Year and in October. The May Golden Week is reduced to only May 1st.

At first I had planned to leave after my birthday in May, but now I will spend my birthday in Disney Tokyo! :) If someone has suggestions for solo birthday ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Update, I decided that even doing this on a budget, hopping from own city to the other was getting more expensive than I wanted (also didn't take a Chinese visa into account). So I had to drop one, either Hong Kong or Shanghai, and while Hong Kong doesn't require a visa and is probably more appealing to me than Shanghai, I am more interested to see in all the new things Disney Shanghai has to offer than Hong Kong. And then I still have something to dream about, right?

So Hong Kong is out, I will compensate a little with one extra day in Shanghai, and I have booked my first hotel :) Got a good, cancellable rate for the Holiday Inn Zhabei. http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/shanghai/shgzb/hoteldetail It looks decent, got good reviews and it should take me about 70 minutes to Disney.

sounds like a great trip, even without Hong Kong.

We are visiting Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo in one trip in March 2017

I've been to all three countries (but Beijing instead of Shanghai) and Disney parks in both HK and Tokyo, so I'll share a few of my experiences.

Budget-wise:
The cheapest - Hong Kong. Cost in China varies according to region. Beijing is actually cheaper than Hong Kong but Shanghai, being the biggest city, has a much higher VAT tax. Most expensive - Japan. Lifestyle in Japan can easily be double/triple the price of HK and China so be sure to save up for Tokyo.

Language-wise:
Most English-friendly - Hong Kong ; locals learn English in schools because of the British history and signs are widely available in English. Very easy to move around. Japan's English-friendly environment is centralized only in big cities; the farther out you go the less English you will find. Since you will be in Tokyo, it is perhaps the most English-friendly city in the country. Don't expect locals to speak English but there will be plenty of resources available. With China, it's similar to Japan but more of a hit or miss.

Weather-wise:
Rainiest - Hong Kong. Of the three countries, Hong Kong is by far the rainiest with double the amount of precipitation Japan gets in the summer. It is not uncommon to have heavy flashes of rain, so much so that there is a bit of flooding in the streets. This will go on almost everyday. Asian summers are also incredibly humid, as in the kind of heat that weighs down on you so it's quite a heavy feeling.

April/May would probably be the most comfortable times for you to travel based on weather.

One final thing to add regarding how long you should spend at the Tokyo Disney parks. If you have been to the US parks before, one day at Tokyo Disneyland is good enough because it is essentially a mesh of both the California and Florida parks. DisneySea is where you want to spend more time because its unique design and layout (see Mermaid Lagoon) does not resemble any of the other Disney parks. It is truly one of a kind.

Last edited:
One little thing happened that I can start all over again with my planning... my Disney buddy who didn't want to join me to visit the Asian parks (because 'they speak Japanese/Chinese and I grew up with the English voices') has asked, after seeing the footage of Shanghai, if she is still invited. :P And I said: Of course you are!

Now, I have to start all over, as for it's easier to get days off in September than in May. But except for the weather, this is only good. It means 3 more months to save money, also sharing hotels will be cheaper when travelling with 2, and flying is cheaper in September than in May... Hong Kong is back on the list! And there will be money left to add extra days for sightseeing.

So, thank you, Retwinked, for the advice on Hong Kong & Japan.
Budget - for now I have $55 a day for food & drinks and overall $225 for transportation next to my flights.

Language - working at an airport at check in you learn to talk with your hands and draw if necessary ;-) It has been a while ago so I hope I can still do it. Otherwise, a colleague had travelled to Asia and she had bought a book with pictures to help her. It has pictures of transportation, food, hospital, police, body parts etc. If she couldn't do it in English, or mime what ever she wanted, she used the pictures.

Weather - Changing from May to September is the biggest downside of inviting my friend, but I will survive.

Disney Sea will get at least 2 out of 4 park days, is my guess. I'm sure I will return there someday, but for now, I'll treat this as a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

This sounds like an amazing trip! And even though you'll be waiting a few more months to be able to travel, it will be amazing having a friend to go along :hug:

I'm planning to try to learn at least some simple phrases in Japanese for my trip next year, using some different language apps. Hopefully it is helpful haha :cool:

Especially due to the language I am happy to have someone with me! Another friend who is an artist with a love for anime and manga has been to Japan and studied Japanese for a bit, I will definitely pick his brain for useful phrases and practise with him!

When will you be going, Looptyloo ?

Last edited:
I find that the basics are more than sufficient in Tokyo - hello, goodbye, excuse me / sorry, thank you, please, etc.

Beijing and Shanghai were both a bit challenging when I first visited in 2009, but when I visited again in 2014 it was MUCH easier.

I can't recall any issues in Hong Kong - from memory everything was in English and everyone spoke English.

It is always good to pick up some language skills when traveling. Traveling should be about going somewhenre different, new experiences, and learning. You absolutely can run into a language barrier in Tokyo, though if you are hell bent on having a very limited experience, you can probably manage anyway.

I find that the basics are more than sufficient in Tokyo - hello, goodbye, excuse me / sorry, thank you, please, etc.

Beijing and Shanghai were both a bit challenging when I first visited in 2009, but when I visited again in 2014 it was MUCH easier.

I can't recall any issues in Hong Kong - from memory everything was in English and everyone spoke English.

My mother has been to China twice, same years as you and she also mentioned encountering more people speaking English. According to her tour guide, it had to do with the olympics in 2008 as it brought more foreign companies to China.

I have no idea what to see or do in Shanghai yet. What would you recommend?
Maybe the Yu Garden and the City God Temple. And I would love to see/do/visit something on the history of Shanghai.

It is always good to pick up some language skills when traveling. Traveling should be about going somewhenre different, new experiences, and learning. You absolutely can run into a language barrier in Tokyo, though if you are hell bent on having a very limited experience, you can probably manage anyway.

Definnitely true! My only problem is: I don't like fish. So I won't experience sushi ;) I need to find a balance between avoiding fish and going to McDonalds.

I have thought and thought and looked into plane ticket fares for this year and the new plan is: 22AUG - 9SEP (or leave on 23/24 Aug)
Decided to start in Shanghai as flying longhaul to Hong Kong was expensive. No idea why, but it was.
Day 1: Amsterdam - Shanghai
Day 2: Arrival Shanghai
Day 3: Disneyland Shanghai
Day 4: Disneyland Shanghai
Day 5: Shanghai
Day 6: Shanghai
Day 7: Shanghai - Hong Kong
Day 8: Hong Kong
Day 9: Disneyland Hong Kong
Day 10: Disneyland Hong Kong
Day 11: Hong Kong
Day 12: Hong Kong - Tokyo
Day 13: Tokyo
Day 14: Tokyo
Day 15: DisneySea
Day 16: DisneyLand Tokyo
Day 17: Hop
Day 18: Hop
Day 19: Tokyo - Amsterdam

420 days left.
60 weeks.

Seafood is a very important part of eating in Japan, but there are many specialties in which you can avoid it. I highly recommend you visit a ramen parlor. They are a completely different experience than eating elsewhere. There are many throughout Tokyo. They are very tiny places often with only a dozen or so seats. You pay at a vending machine outside and present your ticket when it is your turn. You are then seated and served. Even if there is a long line, it can move quickly. I also recommend Tonkatsudon, which is rice cooked with onion, egg, and breaded pork cutlet. For many dishes, you may have to find places that specialize in that dish. Here is a list of Japanese dishes from Wiki. If you seek out special experiences, you will almost certainly find it very rewarding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_dishes

Especially due to the language I am happy to have someone with me! Another friend who is an artist with a love for anime and manga has been to Japan and studied Japanese for a bit, I will definitely pick his brain for useful phrases and practise with him!

When will you be going, Looptyloo ?

Right now, we are planning for late February 2017. It will be for my husbands and my 10 year anniversary :) hoping to buy plane tickets this week possibly

It's fun watching your trip plan come together! I need to do more planning but I have to admit being a bit lost on international plans haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!