I'm getting a bit worried about the state of Disneyland!

Planogirl

I feel the nerd in me stirring
At another website I visit, someone posted that two weeks prior 7 of Disneyland Resort's major rides was closed when they visited. They were not specific about which rides. Another individual posted that they had just returned and It's a Small World and all of the mountains except for the Matterhorn were closed along with Superstar Limo which was apparently closed for good. Has anyone here been recently who can confirm or deny this? This sounds rather bleak to me.

Luckily, we don't go until August but I'm just wondering at the state of things out there. :confused:

It 's rehab season!! A lot of the rides down for rehab now will be back up and running in mid June. Small world will be closed for a long while w some major refurbishment . We are going May 28-June 4 closed will be: Small world, gadget go coaster , carrousel (long refurb- need total rebuild), superstar limo (which has been closed for a longgggg time )... castle walk thru closed too for some reason.... Hungry Bears has closed to make way for a possible Pooh ride

hopefully (cross your fingers!!) Spalsh mt will be open again !! They are predicting May 24!!

fantasmic is not running until June 7 - boo hoo
Fireworks and electrical parade are only on weekends - until mid June

By August things should be a little more rosy as this is high summer season ... yeah - I was bummed w the amount of rehab going on too- but they need to do it desperately! I think they are gearing up for the big celebration - 50 yrs- 2004???
try another nicer- more positive energy web site on the latest rumors

http://www.laughingplace.com

very friendly group on the boards there!

Superstar Limo is closed, possibly for good, although it's still listed on the park map.

Splash Mtn is down for MAJOR rehab (involving lawyers, which is never good). There was hope it would be open by Memorial Day for summer ... but the "suits" may overrule that. Bummer without Splash for the summer!!

Thunder Mtn was down for a rehab recently, don't know if it still is ... probably prepping for summer rush.

Don't know about Space Mtn (was open last time we were in DL not too long ago).

rehab season usually doesn't see quite so many attractions down at once. I just got back and it felt a bit funny to have Slash, iasw and Big Thunder down along with the nasty looking carousel debachle. They say that the two mountains will be back up next week. That will help alot. At DCA Super Star Limo was not really missed and doesn't much detract from the roster of rides by being gone.

Just got back from a May 5 to 12 visit and I can assure you that Space Mountain is open. I have the picture of me suffering on it to prove it, ROTFLOL!!! :) :)

Originally posted by funnygarcia
I think they are gearing up for the big celebration - 50 yrs- 2004???
Won't the 50th be in 2005 since it opened July 1955??

It's good to hear that Splash and Big Thunder Mountains will be up again soon. Does anyone know of anything else that's slated to be down later on?

And what's happened with the Carousel? I only heard that it was found to be in very bad condition.

Thanks for the info. :)

The carousel is/was being retrofited to comply with ADA standards, I am not sure why it is taking as long as it is...

I guess whne they started refurbing the carousel to accomodate wheelchairs they found some wood rot, and then some more so they started taking it apart and found lots more problems. Then they found that the structure that it was under had problems so most of the carousel and carousel buiilding is gone and there is no date set for it's return!

If you go to disneyland.com and select "Hours and Shows" it will show you the rides scheduled for maintenance on a day or range of days.

For example, it lists for today (May 23) at Disneyland:

Refurbishment Schedule
Splash Mountain
it's a small world
King Arthur Carrousel
Sleeping Beauty Castle
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

I will be there on August 2nd, and it lists for that date:

Refurbishment Schedule
King Arthur Carrousel
Sleeping Beauty Castle
Gadget's Go Coaster

Eek! I will have to spend a week mentally preparing my oldest child for the lack of Gadget's Go Coaster.

yes, it's rehab season, but this year rides seem to be getting a lot more work than normal, taking more time than planned. IASW goes down twice a year for change over (once prior to christmas once after), but it's usually short time's both times, so not much rehab time.

Carousel had rotting, so it's undergone more work that planned. supposed to be reopened by christmas with cheelchair-accessible ramp, mainteneance, and replacement of the carousel's mechanical systems and a new canopy. they're also adding a photo area and a craft location.

Splash mountain they're changing the cars on it, so it's been down a while. Date on this one keeps going up and down.

Superstar limo is listed as coming up in Sept. Rumors are that it will be goofy ride, haven't heard anything in a while. They did have the whole area in front of the ride closed off a while ago though.

:earsgirl: My last trip to DLR was being of March and there was alot of Disneyland down for refurbishment. When I first planned my trip I went into the Disneyland web site and looked at their schedule and from that planned my dates and paid. As time passed getting closer and closer to my trip they gradually posted more and more closings. When I arrived these were the following attractions down:
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain (announced 3 days before I left)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Most of Fantasyland
All of Critter Country
Several stores and restaurants.
When I e-mailed my complaint I asked "Why are you issuing Hopper Passes when there is nothing to hop too?" I was not a happy camper and from the lines at Guest Relations and hearing their complaints I was not alone. Hopefully Disney has learned from these past mistakes and taken better care on scheduling their refurbishments. I understand when I visit off-season there will be some rides down, but not 2/3 of Disneyland. Why bother, and they wonder why attendence is down....hello. Anyway I will now get down off my soap box..

Everytime I hear all the complaints about ride refurbs., I wonder if people would rather they close the park COMPLETELY for 3 months to do these refurbs. And if they didn't do them at all, just think about the state of the park them....

I'm very impressed that Disney stays open year round but I think that often the closures seem to happen in waves. dianedisney's list is extreme IMO and hopefully not normal.

I'm not worried. In fact, we're already roughing out plans to fly out for the big 50th party. :)

A lot of these major rehabs are in fact in preparation for the 50th party, their goal is to have all the rides in top shape by then. As shown by the surprise condition of the Carousel, they are simply giving themselves enough time to have the whole plan done by then. The word I have read elsewhere is that the rest of the major rides will have been thru a heavy duty rehab cycle by then.

We went in feb and april. I did not find the number of rides down interfering with my fun. I was amazed at the number of characters available. On both trips the rides that were open had short waits. I usually go off season and have become used to the refurbishments. I guess I have never gone to DLR for the rides anyway. (at least not a major focus)

My friend works at Disneyland in Maintenance. He told me that the rides have been down because of the new "Amusement Park Safety Standards" that have been put in place. Disney knew they had to do the upgrades but put them off as long as they possibly could. Everything (except the Carousel and Superstar) will hopefully be back up soon!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter