I'm back...

rob@rar.org.uk

Skiing is best, Mickey comes next
... from a wonderful two weeks in Orlando. Happy, but exhausted! The high point was our stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (and discovering I could get discounts on Oakley sunglasses in Islands of Adventure). The low point was the silly level of security which faced us when we got OFF the plane in Orlando. Weather was cooler than we have previously experienced in August (which made a pleasant change), with a few days of the usual afternoon thunder storms.

I'll try and jot down a few notes for the Trip Reports board, but in the meantime happy to answer any uptodate questions...

Regards

Rob

Hey Rob,

Glad too hear you had a great trip!!

How did you get the discount on the Oakleys,I have seen some over here but the £120 price tag is a little off putting?

Who did you fly with and how did it go?It sounds as though you had fun with all the security!!

Regards

Sean.

Noooooooooo! Not possible that you're back already!

I know what you mean about the security at MCO - we had the same delay when we went in December, which wasn't helped by one woman who refused to take her sleeping babies out of her twin buggy to pass through the checkpoint :rolleyes: .

Really looking forward to hearing what you made of AKL. How much did you pay for the Oakleys? Dh has prescription lenses, so £120 would actually be quite welcome, Sean!

Welcome back Rob - I'm sure I will have loads of questions for you :)

Do they still have the National Guidesmen at MCO in full uniform and M16's ? - they all looked like spotty teenagers. Hope they aren't trigger happy :)

Oh dear, more secret Oakley fans! I thought I was the only one... Oakley Inc. tightly control the prices on their eyewear range, so you won't find anybody offering discounts from the recommended price (not legally anyway). However, the Oakley shop in Islands of Adventure (but not the one in City Walk) offers 10% discount to Universal annual passholders. Oakley sunglasses in the UK cost the same in £££s as they do in $$$s (i.e. the same glasses will cost £120 in UK but 'only' $120 in the US). I was so excited when I found out I could get a discount I bought two pairs: Wiretap and Half-Jackets, bringing my collection to four pairs. I kept telling myself (and Jane) "just think of the money I saved compared to buying in the UK". As you can see, I have an irrational affection for Oakley sunglasses!

I didn't see any National Guardsmen at MCO, although there was plenty of armed security around. I thought the level of security when boarding the plane was sensible, but I fail to understand why I had to go through two metal detectors, one pat-down search and have my baggage x-rayed twice when exiting the plane and the airport. One image which sticks in my mind was the elderly man who was told to sit on a chair, remove his shoes and then raise his legs so that the guard could waive a metal detector wand around his stockinged feet. Bizzare!

We flew with BA this time. The plane landed on time and didn't crash, which are my two principal criteria when evaluating flights. Service was pretty much the same as our recent flights with Virgin, although I did miss the Downtown Disney check-in facility. We used BA's telephone check-in facility at Gatwick before we flew to Orlando, which saved some time and a long queue before we flew. We were allocated the particular seats we had requested for both legs of the journey.

We really loved the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The hotel and its facilities were very impressive, and we spent a great deal of time just staring at the animals. It was a great experience to have a giraffe snuffling around a tree just a few dozen feet from your balcony. We had requested a room on the second floor overlooking the main savannah, and were pleased that this is exactly what we got. It was a good holiday for our special requests being met: we also had a room in the Toy Story section of the All Star Movies as per our request.

Regards

Rob

Rob - can't believe your two weeks has gone already. Bet it didn't seem that way for you, though:D

Looking forward to hearing more . . . the Oakley's sound good, but like Matt, I too need prescription sunglasses.

Hi Rob - Welcome home!

That has flown by!

More Oakley fans here I'm afraid!

:) :) :)

Welcome home that time ahs flown by which means it's nearer to our holidays for the rest of us. Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip.

I soooo want to stay at the AKL - I was thinking of checking myself in for just one night when I go to DISCon - very tempting.

As for Oakleys I love them but the just look silly on me! My face is too fat:p

Welcome back Rob,

What were the crowds like?

We go on Friday so I am keen to know.

The crowds, or lack of them, were a pleasant surprise. Disney World in particular was much quieter than we expected, especially as schools had not yet returned when we were there (they have now). Universal was as busy as we were expecting, but nothing that was unmanageable. The day we spent at the Magic Kingdom was eerily quiet up until about 11am, after which the crowds started to build up. Up until that time most attractions seemed to be a walk-on.

The longest we waited for anything (with the exception of the b****y airport) was about 15 minutes. This was based on getting to the parks early to avoid the crowds, and sensible use of FastPass/Universal Express. However, if you prefer to get to the parks later in the day you will face much longer lines.

Regards

Rob

Thanks Rob,

We are planning on getting to the parks early to avoid crowds and the worst of the heat. We have even (I think) persuaded our children (aged 17 and 20) that it is necessary to get up early - hopefully they can just not fully adjust to the US time zone.

Welcome home Rob :D
I really loved the Animal Kingdom Lodge when we visited and ate there ( in Bomas), and I'm really hoping to stay there in the not too distant future.

I wonder if they had just had some kind of security scare at MCO because we didn't encounter any problems or delays on our visit in May.

Welcome back :wave: (gosh, that went quickly!)

AKL sounds wonderful. My b-i-l and family have just booked in there for part of the time when we all go out in October, so I'm planning on visiting them in their room ;)

Hi Rob :wave:

Welcome Back! Glad to hear you had a great trip, apart from the airport hassle! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter