I'm a walker, not a stander!

Ally320

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm so excited about an upcoming trip to WDW this fall. Haven't been in over 10 years but since that time I've had many medical problems. I'm doing really well now and have worked hard to be able to walk throughout the park but I'm worried about standing in long lines without moving. I have Dysautonomia and tend to pass out if I stand still. I don't want a wheelchair because my mobility is fine. I've planned to go when it's not a single crowded and will use FP's to help reduce wait time. Any suggestions?

I have issues just standing as well due to a nerve condition. As long as I am moving I am fine, but if I stand still my leg starts to ache and it just gets worse. I find that if I march in place when waiting in line, it is better. Or doing leg bends or stretching helps as well. Just don’t crowd in close to those in front of you and keep space to be able to move some. I have a little one, so sometimes we dance too!

Do try to avoid the long waits. And take your time when you are going through the line until you find the place where the waiting starts. There are some great finds in the line cues, and if you can slowly walk the line and explore these, it helps cut the just standing time some.

Great idea to move slower to get to the line queue! Also a good idea to do in-line stretches to stay mobile. But dancing sounds more fun! Thanks so much!!

It is pretty easy to walk in place in line would that help

If you are going with other people have them stand behind you so this will give you a little more room to move.

Fireworks for the MK and HS they pack you in to see them there is no room to move in some of the really good places to see them and they last a good 20 minutes

Last edited:

Become a fidgeter, seriously. Pace in a small circle, rock back and forth, just keep moving. Who cares if you look nuts. As long as you aren’t bumping in to others, do what you need to do. I’m hypermobile in my joints, especially my knees, so I end up in a lot of pain if I stand with my knees locked for a long period of time.

Become a fidgeter, seriously. Pace in a small circle, rock back and forth, just keep moving. Who cares if you look nuts. As long as you aren’t bumping in to others, do what you need to do. I’m hypermobile in my joints, especially my knees, so I end up in a lot of pain if I stand with my knees locked for a long period of time.
This is so true on not caring what you look like when I am in a crowded area I move a lot flap my hands jump up and down and do all kinds of things do what you need to do to make Disney work for you. I go to Disney quite often I have had one person say something to me I just looked at them and said when you pay for my trip you can tell me how to do Disney he stoped talking then ( other gust near by told him in some not nice words to be quiet and they made sure what he said to me did not bother me

There are quite a few attractions where guests will stand in one place for a period of time unless they have brought a mobility device with them.
It’s mostly shows, which have one group ‘gathered’ into a holding room while the group before them is seeing the show. In some of those, you can stay toward the back of the area and move around.
It also happens in attractions that have a preshow component - some examples of that would include Test Track, Soarin’ and Flights of Passage.

Post 22 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has more info:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

I have bad sciatica nerve issues that can cause intense pain if I stand still too long. Swaying back and forth doesn't help much. Walking keeps the pain to a minimum. A wheelchair is out. Sitting makes it even worse and it becomes difficult to transfer to a ride. If a line has railing where I can lean against it helps but only for a short time. Pre-show ques I struggle with. For meals I take a pain pill which does allow me to sit for awhile but I cannot take enough for the entire day! Now if I could get a wheel bed that would work!! A couple beers also seem to work better than the pain pills!!

I remember seeing a tip on another thread which recommended having your friends/family "bookend" your spot in line. One companion stands in the front (preventing people in front from stepping back too far) and the other companion stands in the back (preventing people behind you from stepping too far forward) so that you have space to pace back and forth in-between. Also, personally, I plan to just sit on the ground if need be.

All good ideas! Thank you so much for suggestions. I'll be alone w my hubby (so excited about that!) so I'm not sure we can bookend but perhaps a modified version would work!

You could get a rollator with a seat. I know you don't need a walker, but it'll give you the option to sit down whenever you need to, which is especially convenient for lines or events like fireworks where seating is especially limited
All good ideas! Thank you so much for suggestions. I'll be alone w my hubby (so excited about that!) so I'm not sure we can bookend but perhaps a modified version would work!
just have your husband stand behind you Thais will help a lot

As @gap2368 said, have your hubs stand *behind* you in line, then you can create a "bubble" in front of you, to allow you to move about a bit. In order to avoid people crowding up behind, or getting anxious (remember the old saying, "Nature abhors a vacuum?" Well, people at WDW abhor a gap in any line! LOL) Try to keep your "bubble" to the minimum size, and that will cut down on everyone's discomfort level!

A Rollator can be purchased for about $100 (unless you need a bariatric model) or rented, and wheelchair rentals for WDW are also inexpensive. Consider bringing one along - you can just push it, with your purse in it, or even empty - so that *if* you need to sit for a while, you will have a spot instantly available to sit.

I think a DAS would be an option here. It would allow you to still wait the same amount of time you would have in the standby queue, but not have to stand in the line. You could pace the park until your time rolls around, then you go through the fastpass queue. So there would be a bit of standing in the fastpass queue, but nothing like in the standby queue. Go to Guest Services and explain your need. If they feel this would be helpful for you (or if you do), they'll take your picture and note your need, and that will be good for the duration of your stay. You can use it together with Fastpass+, and basically you go to the ride you want to ride, they'll give you a ride time that is 10 minutes less than the standby time. Walk or sit- whatever you need to do, and when your time comes around, your husband and you will be able to go through the Fastpass+ queue.

I think a DAS would be an option here. It would allow you to still wait the same amount of time you would have in the standby queue, but not have to stand in the line. You could pace the park until your time rolls around, then you go through the fastpass queue. So there would be a bit of standing in the fastpass queue, but nothing like in the standby queue. Go to Guest Services and explain your need. If they feel this would be helpful for you (or if you do), they'll take your picture and note your need, and that will be good for the duration of your stay. You can use it together with Fastpass+, and basically you go to the ride you want to ride, they'll give you a ride time that is 10 minutes less than the standby time. Walk or sit- whatever you need to do, and when your time comes around, your husband and you will be able to go through the Fastpass+ queue.
A DAS request would probably be denied, because the problem could be solved with a wheelchair or rollator. typically if a mobility device would resolve the issue, they will not issue a DAS.

Sorry I see no need to wait out side the line the OP can be very easily accommodated in line by doing symply walking in place taking side steps ( I do this all the time and never had any problems but once someone asked me to stop moving so much and that did not turn out good for them) and the op will have her husband with her do this will help a lot

I have bad sciatica nerve issues that can cause intense pain if I stand still too long. Swaying back and forth doesn't help much. Walking keeps the pain to a minimum. A wheelchair is out. Sitting makes it even worse and it becomes difficult to transfer to a ride. If a line has railing where I can lean against it helps but only for a short time. Pre-show ques I struggle with. For meals I take a pain pill which does allow me to sit for awhile but I cannot take enough for the entire day! Now if I could get a wheel bed that would work!! A couple beers also seem to work better than the pain pills!!
That's exactly my problem too. I've had back surgery for it too. I can't sit or stand long. Sometimes if there's a wall, I put my back flush against it the go up and down on my tip toes to stretch. It also help with the nerve in my foot.

If all else fails, you and Hubby could just keep switching places! ;)

A rollator can be purchased for about $100 (unless you need a bariatric model) or rented

I reeeeally want one of those tall, "Upwalker" model rollators I've seen advertised lately, but they cost $600! I was shocked because, as you said, a regular model is quite reasonable. Wait a few years for the price to come down, I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter