Illuminations Dining Package at Rose and Crown

I think that’s probably why, you don’t have to show up early or wait. That’s why we are doing it.

I have a reservation for the illuminations dining package on September 30 but since the new show will be starting and we also want to see that I just made a reservation for spice Road table we’ve never eaten there but I figure it’s a good option plus there are no more tables for any of the nights we are there for a party of two at R & C

We have this booked for both the last night of Illuminations and the new show! I wish they would expand the menu a bit, but I am happy I won’t be fighting the crowds to see these shows, especially since we booked this trip well before we knew this would be the last Illuminations or that GE would actually be open.

Well, since the ending date for Illuminations has now been announced, I wonder exactly how long Epcot Forever will last? We will be there Sep 16-21, so will miss seeing it by 11 days. Planning on being back in February, so it should still be going on then, right?

I've learned my lesson about booking through Priceline. If I had booked through Disney, I could just cancel and rebook. Live and learn!

Last edited:

I'm glad to have booked this for the second to last Illuminations showing. Now we have to figure a time to go see Epcot Forever while we are down there.

I just saw this announcement and this thread -- talk about late to the party! :sad2:

I made an ADR for the first time at R&C at my 180 day mark (i.e. back in November) in hopes of seeing Illuminations for our May visit. I would have booked the dining package when it was released if I'd known it existed. Of course nothing is available now. I guess it would have been too much too ask for Disney to contact people who already had reservations in the evening for R&C.

So I still have a regular reservation at 7:10 p.m. (which was the closest time I could get). Should we keep it? If we are inside, will we still be allowed to go outside to watch Illuminations? Thanks!

Last edited:

I can provide a non-package review for those interested. We had an ADR booked for Friday March 8th at 7:45pm. Its a longheld family tradition to eat here for Illuminations so I was concerned about the recent changes.

I checked in around 7:30 and requested patio seating. They said they could no longer take requests due to the new dining package. However we were able to get a seat on the upper patio easily, and there were at least 5 other tables nearby that were empty.

We were seated slightly back from the water on the upper patio, so our waiter offered to take us to the “VIP viewing area” when we were ready to watch the show. We went down about 5 mins to showtime and there were only 5-10 other people in the roped off area with us. Plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the show one last time.

I know experinces can vary, but I was pleasantly surprised to still be able to easily get a table on the patio, and the roped off viewing area for non-package diners had ample space and great views.
After reading through all 28 pages of this thread, I finally came across this non-package review. Does anyone know if this info still holds? Will non-package diners still be allowed to go to the “VIP viewing area”?

Last edited:
After reading through all 28 pages of this thread, I finally came across this non-package review. Does anyone know if this info still holds? Will non-package diners still be allowed to go to the “VIP viewing area”?
To be clear, the Vip viewing area was for normal restaurant diners. It was right next to the roped off seating/viewing area for the package diners. It was still a great spot!

We had a 7:15 reservation this past Friday. There had been a huge rainstorm for a few hours, and it had just stopped drizzling when we checked in. I asked to sit outside, and the hostess said, "We don't do seating preferences" (which must be new, because we asked for outside seating in February and they seated us there with no trouble) and that because of the weather, the VIP people were being moved into the covered upper patio so that whole area would be full.

I hadn't even heard of the VIP package so I was feeling pretty annoyed about the whole thing until near the end of dinner, when the server told us she could take us to the viewing area when we were ready. It's a nice spot right along the wall to the left of the lower patio. We had a great view of Illuminations with the full moon above. So the restaurant experience was fine but I'm still annoyed by Disney monetizing every little special thing you might have been able to find at the parks, like a nice view of the fireworks with just a regular dinner reservation.

So the restaurant experience was fine but I'm still annoyed by Disney monetizing every little special thing you might have been able to find at the parks, like a nice view of the fireworks with just a regular dinner reservation.

Thank you very much for reporting here about your experience with the regular dinner experience. I, like you, use to try to time my meals perfectly and request eating outside, by the window, etc. I won't stalk a spot an hour beforehand by the lake, it's not that important to me.

I can see how many don't like this new option, but I can tell you I much prefer to pay for the experience without trying to manage and hope that I get what I want with my requests.

We are doing the Illuminations package in September and happy I don't have to worry about my seating and timing my meal and allowing if restaurant is backed up, drizzling, etc. If I didn't want to pay, or couldn't, I guess I would just find a spot and hang there until the show.

Thank you very much for reporting here about your experience with the regular dinner experience. I, like you, use to try to time my meals perfectly and request eating outside, by the window, etc. I won't stalk a spot an hour beforehand by the lake, it's not that important to me.

I can see how many don't like this new option, but I can tell you I much prefer to pay for the experience without trying to manage and hope that I get what I want with my requests.

We are doing the Illuminations package in September and happy I don't have to worry about my seating and timing my meal and allowing if restaurant is backed up, drizzling, etc. If I didn't want to pay, or couldn't, I guess I would just find a spot and hang there until the show.

That totally makes sense. Sometimes I forget that the things I'm willing to pay for aren't necessarily important to others, and vice versa. With Illuminations in its last days, it's nice that they're providing another way for a guaranteed decent view. :)

That totally makes sense. Sometimes I forget that the things I'm willing to pay for aren't necessarily important to others, and vice versa. With Illuminations in its last days, it's nice that they're providing another way for a guaranteed decent view. :)

I agree. It's nice to have options! Welcome back to reality!

We had a 7:15 reservation this past Friday. There had been a huge rainstorm for a few hours, and it had just stopped drizzling when we checked in. I asked to sit outside, and the hostess said, "We don't do seating preferences" (which must be new, because we asked for outside seating in February and they seated us there with no trouble) and that because of the weather, the VIP people were being moved into the covered upper patio so that whole area would be full.

I hadn't even heard of the VIP package so I was feeling pretty annoyed about the whole thing until near the end of dinner, when the server told us she could take us to the viewing area when we were ready. It's a nice spot right along the wall to the left of the lower patio. We had a great view of Illuminations with the full moon above. So the restaurant experience was fine but I'm still annoyed by Disney monetizing every little special thing you might have been able to find at the parks, like a nice view of the fireworks with just a regular dinner reservation.
Thank you so much for posting this. I thought about trying to look for a cancellation for the dining package, but unlike me, my wife and son are actually not so much into Illuminations (and my wife doesn't want to spend the money for the dining package), so we will just keep our original reservation.

I assume you have to stand for the viewing area?

Well, this stinks.

We booked a regular reservation for R&C just about six months ago, which I gather was before this package was announced. Last time, two or three years ago, we had an absolutely marvelous time sitting out on the deck, with a 7:10 ADR, appetizers, entrees, dessert, drinks (including the scotch flight), and a wonderfully relaxed view of Illuminations. We probably spent close to $85/each anyway.

Had I known about this, we could have at least considered this alternative. Now, of course, it’s all booked for a week from today and unlikely to free up. Plus we’ve booked other packages.

We have a regular ADR at R&C for 3 at 7:15 for a week from today. Now I’m trying to figure out our best strategy for getting a good view of Illuminations. Part of me wants to plan on a minimal dinner with no dessert or alcohol just to express my frustration.

Is anyone with dining at the right time allowed to use the standing viewing area? Dining inside is fine if there is a viewing area for Illuminations after.

the hostess said, "We don't do seating preferences" (which must be new, because we asked for outside seating in February and they seated us there with no trouble)
It's actually been sort of the policy for at least ten years.
Guests can request outdoor dining, and will get it if possible, but offers to wait are supposed to be declined.

We went last week. We enjoyed the food and drinks and had good service. However we did not enjoy the experience and would not return. This was due to our table location, other guests, and the umbrella issue blocking our view during the show. I would absolutely still encourage others to go since you likely will not have our table and if we had another table we would have had a good time.

The issue was our table for 2 was located right next to the gate that leads to the area where regular diners stand for illuminations viewing. My husbands chair was situated in front of this gate. The hostess said this gate will remain closed during the event. However it didn’t. Many diners used this gate to leave for the bathroom even though they were supposed to head inside. Each time my husband had to physically stand up, lift his chair out of the way, even in the middle of dinner!

However the worst part was when illuminations started, someone came over and said they had to close the umbrella for “safety”. Well once closed, my husband had no view at all, completely 100% blocked by the closed umbrella. He could not move to the opposite side of me since the next table was pushed close in that area. So in order to see, he had to move close to me (right next to the gate). All the diners from inside were now standing in that viewing area so they were literally standing/hanging over us close enough to grab our drinks if they had wanted. I really didn’t think it was fair to pay $85 a person to have a constantly interrupted dinner followed by an Illuminations viewing with a crowd standing right over my seat. But like I said, had we had another table (especially one with no umbrella) we would have had a great time so I still encourage people to go.

Just please Rose and Crown, get rid of the umbrellas during this event!!!!

The food was good and the drinks good. The service was fast and we could have had 4 or 5 drinks if we had wanted. I was a little disappointed that the specialty drink was served with a mint leaf now instead of the boba balls since I wanted to try those.

3780D095-25BD-422B-A2BC-C6A501A4FC5F.jpeg
EC016EEF-D5E9-495F-84F3-25A6AB4F8B71.jpeg
C546698C-4F29-4D22-A21A-0FB9A0F9DB10.jpeg8FFA41F0-1367-411B-A373-D8483FBCAAE4.jpeg92407E81-2B61-4FF1-A94E-DB6B91BF79E6.jpeg552B3CAB-3725-40CF-93A0-4953821C1AF8.jpeg41F98427-F8F9-490F-B0DE-E319676EAD9A.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter