IKEA Question

Downrivermama

Mouseketeer<br><font color=2d008e>The Tag Fairy wa
I was wondering if anyone has had an IKEA store open near them recently? Did you go when it first opened or did you wait until things settled down? One is opening up in Canton, MI on June 7 and I was thinking of going around the first of July to check it out. I was in the one in Dale City, VA last year and wanted to buy some bigger stuff, but we were on vacation.

When the Ikea opened here I did brave the opening weekend crowds. It was a mad house. They actually had another parking (dirt area) and we had to park out there and hike a mile. It was still like that a month later. It's been open awhile now and it's still fairly crowded whenever I go although the crowds have calmed down and you can actually walk through the store now!

Did you get a catalog yet so you can drool over all the things?? When ours first opened they mailed everyone in the area a catalog! Of course I have been to Ikea before so I knew what to expect.

No catalog yet. I live about 15-20 miles away, so not sure how far away they would send them out. Last fall when I was in the one in Va they had really cute quilt covers that came with pillow cases for $15 and I wish I had bought a couple!

The closest stores around here is either Chicago or Pittsburgh, so I know alot of people from OH, IN & IL will be coming. I guess local hotels near the store are already booked.

I figured I would try to restrain myself until 7/3 when I would take the day off from work to make it a long holiday weekend! :rotfl2:

I've never been to one right after a grand opening but I'd be willing to bet its gonna be crazeeeee. We have one about 30 minutes from us and we go about twice a year and spend a day looking around at all the gee gaws, I just love it.

We try to go during the week, much less traffic and the place is almost deserted, compared to a weekend where you have to fight for parking spots and can hardly move once you're inside.

I do though like the .50 cent hotdogs in the snack bar. I've gone to their website and ordered a free catalog before, they probably still do that if you'd like to get one.

I have never been on a grand opening but I know how crazy ours gets on a normal weekend. There are actually cops in the parking lot directing traffic. I would probably wait and go during the week, even during the day if possible.

A few motnhs ago and it was CRAZY! Extremely busy. But it was exciting. As a matter of fact- I spent about 5 hours yesterday ay Ikea with dh and we designed his office and got all the stuff. Excellent prices and great designs. So if you want the experience- go when it opens- if you want to really shop- wait about a month and you should be fine!

We went three months after the opening in the IKEA in CT. It was still packed. Then we went to the IKEA in MA, right before December (About two months after it open). We were just asking to be tortured. :faint: We waited in lines just to park! Love to store, just a very tedious trip. We have been there a couple times since and now we look online or in the catalog to get an idea of what we want. Much easier. We hit Costco right next door too!

Ikea is crazy crazy busy all the time. One we went to (I believe is was in seattle) had a parking garage!
I am from belleville and my parents still live there, I am actually thinking about flying home to go to the opening with my sister and mom. I LOVE ikea and I think the opening will be fun. Just expect that its going to be insane and have fun with it. I dont think canton has any idea whats about to hit it!! I have heard about people lining up outside the store for days before the opening!
Maybe I will see ya there!

I live just a little over a mile from the new Canton store. We are already trying to figure out how to avoid the entire area at all costs once it opens, as the traffic can only get worse than it already is! On the positive side, the building is gorgeous from the outside and we can't wait to finally get a peek of the inside!

I try to only go to IKEA during the week. It's not so bad then but on the weekends, there's always a line of traffic and a full parking lot. And it's been open for some time.

If you don't live that far away, wait if you can.

The Long Island Ikea (which has been open for 15 years!) still has crowds waiting to get in most weekends. If I'm doing any major shopping, I'll go one night during the week. I put myself through school working retail at the same mall, I won't even drive onto that side of it on a Saturday! :banana:

If the weekend is your only option go! It's worth the experience, trust me converts are a plenty. Just ask my father who has assembled a house hould of Ikea furniture :furious:

I live in St. Clair Shores (about 1/2 hour away) and I am avoiding opening day, but can't wait to check it out soon! My friends and I are planning to visit a month or so after it opens for a Girls Night Out. I will only go during the week, cause I hate crowds!

My husband's best friends works for the City of Canton and he has been in meeting with the Ikea folks over the last few weeks. They had given him Friends and Family passes for the Pre-Grand opening this past Saturday. He was going to give me one, but I couldn't use it because my son was being baptized that afternoon. I was bummed and if I lived closer I would have found a way! Ha Ha

:crazy: You really need to wait if you want to be able to shop. There will be so many people it will be imposible to really look at things. :crazy:

Oh, well! I have been watching all the hoopla going on and I am still planning to go July 3rd. I just tough it out!

My friend went Monday evening (6/12) and she said it was busy, but not horrible. She said there were a lot of people, but still plenty of room to walk around and shop. Have fun whenever you decide to go!

I have found tuesday mornings when they first open to be a good time to go(It seems to be practically empty). Other than that its crazy! There are two(philly and conshehocken) somewhat close to me and I will avoid them at all costs on the weekends.

I went to the Canton IKEA a few weeks ago........I live in Brighton so it's about 1/2 hour away from me too...........I though it was busy but that the crowds were manageable.
I am definately planning to go back.....take my DD to look at stuff for redoing her room.

Hi all!

I finally did go on July 3rd and it was packed! We parked in the overflow lot. But it really wasn't that bad. Some sections were really crowed, but we had fun. We tried the cafe and had the meatballs.! :thumbsup2 Even my dd8 liked them. And the tort was great. Next time will try the baked salmon.

A couple of the employees who work there said that Sunday evenings and Tuesday evenings are less crowded. I'm sure that it being new, it will be crowded for a while. There were license plates from PA and KY, that we saw.

I said to one of the police women working the cross walke that I bet they will be happy when things settle down and she said, "Oh, yes!"

But we had fun!

Ikea never settles down. NY one = crowded = open 15 years = nuff said!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter