If Your Child Goes To College Across the Country.....

I was wondering how the summer storage move in/out was handled and I see that several of you mention storage services. Definitely will be looking into this.
DD will be a Freshman in the fall - 900 miles away, we are currently discussing everything in this thread. DS went 8 miles to a dorm his first few years, we moved him in/out of all his college housing with the exception of his final year as we had moved 2000 miles during his Sr year and he was on his own.
I don't imagine we will road trip every summer - I imagine we will store and fly.

We live in PA and DD was in college in CA. Her school had kids from across the country and around the world, so the storage places were very responsive. The parking areas were full of pods, and the students just locked them up and called for removal when they were finished loading. One year she had to go back to school 2 weeks early to help with the freshman orientation trips, so I did fly out to help her move all her stuff in since there was no one else around to help. Compared to my 2 other kids who went to school a 4 hour drive away (no cars of their own), she was easier that way, although she did not come home for Thanksgiving or spring break! Of course she has now settled in CA, but it is really her ideal environment.

I don't think I would be helping with the move after the freshman year. But that is just me.

I'm the OP. Thanks for the responses. For those who said I should ask my son, I already did. He said he would like it if we went out with him to help with the move in. However if it's too expensive, he would understand and be fine moving in by himself. My husband is the one who thinks we don't necessarily need to go every year, although he's not totally against it. I was just wondering what other parents did.

Regarding summer storage, most colleges have a few options. We spoke with a rep. from a family-owned storage service during orientation week and we will probably use them. They drop off empty boxes to the student's dorm room, pick them up after they're filled, store them in an air-conditioned facility (which is important since DS goes to school in a hot, humid city), deliver them directly to the new dorm room or apartment, then pick up the empty boxes. It would cost more money and be more of a hassle to have all of his things shipped home, so we are glad this service is available.

My son’s school has storage available for international students and students that live 500 miles away. It cost $40 a year and is well worth it.

Our daughter goes to school in Seward Nebraska and we drive to/from Wisconsin to drop her off and pick her up. It's easier as we don't really have a storage option there and it's nice to go out with her to help. as the others have said, I'd ask your son to see what he wants.

I went to college in a different country so I couldn't bring much stuff with me. My parents and brother came the first year to settle me in (we made a holiday out of it) but not after that. I expect I will do the same for my girls, who also plan to go to college in a different country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter