If your child gets ill while staying at a Disney resort ...?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
If your child gets ill while staying at a Disney resort and you don't have a car, is the only option taking a taxi? What if you don't have a car seat? How far is the nearest clinic or hospital? Just want to be prepared for our visit. Any advice appreciated!

We have taken our DS to Centra Care Urgent Care twice. They actually provide shuttle service if needed, but I think the timing can be difficult. We usually took an Uber over there, and then used the shuttle back.

My son got injured at Disney World in 2012. They have shuttles that can take your family to an Urgent Care. The shuttle was free (the medical care was not). After my son got taken care of, the guy driving the shuttle drove us back to our resort. He even let us stop at a convenient store to buy sodas.

My son got injured at Disney World in 2012. They have shuttles that can take your family to an Urgent Care. The shuttle was free (the medical care was not). After my son got taken care of, the guy driving the shuttle drove us back to our resort. He even let us stop at a convenient store to buy sodas.

Is the shuttle provided by the hotel or the Urgent care?

Is the shuttle provided by the hotel or the Urgent care?
To be honest, I don't recall. I think it's a 3rd party service outsourced by both Disney and the Urgent Care facility. The van/shuttle was unmarked (plain white van). The nurse at Magic Kingdom called for the van once she determined my son should see a doctor. The van pulled up right behind the Clinic at Magic Kingdom and dropped us off right in front of the Urgent Care.

I believe the front desk at any WDW resort will arrange transportation for you in event of illness; I know they'll take you to Urgent Care, not sure if you can request somewhere else.

There is also a "concierge" type medical service where a doctor will come to your resort room. I'll see if I can find more about it - there have been a few posts.

One thing I recommend is checking your health insurance to see if there are any restrictions on in-network. We have 2 urgent care clinics locally, but my insurance will only cover 1 as in-network (and it's not the one that's closest to my home).

Enjoy your vacation!

ETA:
this thread has several mentions of "Doctors on Call" https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-if-we-get-sick-at-disney.3660099
and here's another thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/sick-kid-a-doctor-will-come-to-your-disney-resort-room.3648577

Last edited:
I believe the front desk at any WDW resort will arrange transportation for you in event of illness; I know they'll take you to Urgent Care, not sure if you can request somewhere else.

There is also a "concierge" type medical service where a doctor will come to your resort room. I'll see if I can find more about it - there have been a few posts.

One thing I recommend is checking your health insurance to see if there are any restrictions on in-network. We have 2 urgent care clinics locally, but my insurance will only cover 1 as in-network (and it's not the one that's closest to my home).

Enjoy your vacation!

ETA:
this thread has several mentions of "Doctors on Call" https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-if-we-get-sick-at-disney.3660099
and here's another thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/sick-kid-a-doctor-will-come-to-your-disney-resort-room.3648577

Thank you!

We use the concierge medical services. On the expensive side but super easy ... they literally come to your room and normally have all of the medicines you might need right there with them. And yes, we have had to use them twice.

Uber might be the best way. My DD got pink eye really bad in both eyes on our first day. We did have a car and DH took her to the first Dr. office he could find. It was open 24 hours. He then wen to Walgreens to fill the prescription and they told him that the Walgreens in the area have a Minute Clinic. For something simple this maybe a better and faster place to go. They even had coloring books and crayons (like at a restaurant) to give the kids something to do while you wait.

Currently dealing with this myself. I have a bad sore throat. I took meats taxi to medical concierge practice. They were able to check me out and prescribe antibiotics right there. I could have had doctor visit me in the room but it would have been late evening.
Also going to the clinic directly was less expensive.
Also

Enjoy your vacation!

ETA:

I used the "concierge" medical services, twice! And, in short, they were amazing. We were at the Dolphin, no rental car, just me and my kids. The resort gave me the info, and their website is www.themedicalconcierge.com They sent 2 doctors to our room, brought tests (one time, DS1 had a horrible ear infection, the other time DS2 had strep). So they test, and brought basic prescriptions that may be needed depending on what I called to say symptoms were.

I was so grateful, and then they gave me all the info to submit to insurance. I was reimbursed 100%. Even if I wasn't I would have been thrilled with the care provided, and I could let the sick child rest in bed while waiting for a doctor! I still keep their card just in case!

I used the "concierge" medical services, twice! And, in short, they were amazing. We were at the Dolphin, no rental car, just me and my kids. The resort gave me the info, and their website is www.themedicalconcierge.com They sent 2 doctors to our room, brought tests (one time, DS1 had a horrible ear infection, the other time DS2 had strep). So they test, and brought basic prescriptions that may be needed depending on what I called to say symptoms were.

I was so grateful, and then they gave me all the info to submit to insurance. I was reimbursed 100%. Even if I wasn't I would have been thrilled with the care provided, and I could let the sick child rest in bed while waiting for a doctor! I still keep their card just in case!

Wow this really eases my mind! Thank you so much!!!

Anyone know where to get Benadryl on property? I have a friend there now and her daughter has a strange rash on her legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts