If you really love your home resort...

So I haven't regretted it, but usually when we try other resorts we just go for a night or two at the beginning of a trip before spending the bulk of the trip at my favorite WDW resort, Beach Club. For us, a trip where we couldn't spend the bulk of it popping in to the World Showcase to get the foods we want wouldn't be worth it, but its nice to fly in and spend a night at another resort to see other rooms/what it feels like. Some I want to spend a little more time at (AK), others have been a one-and-done (SSR, Poly, OKW). Some I wouldn't mind staying in again if I couldn't find BCV points to transfer in (BLT, BWV).

One rule we now have as a result of our split stay fiasco is that for any split stay, we will always END our stay at our home resort. That way we always have "home" to look forward to during our trip.

This is how my wife and I do it. Our Christmas stay this year is a split stay at 4 different resorts, ending at our home resort

Love AKV. That is why we bought direct points from DVC in May 2019 and 25 more direct in September.

BUT...... we have not used any of our points staying there. We rented points through David's many times before we purchased DVC and always stayed at AKV Jambo house. But our first official stay as owners was at BCV and our next will be CCV and Poly. If the Poly waitlist does not come through, we are staying in a CL studio at AKV-I just canceled the value studio we had booked.

No regrets. We bought SSR points with the intention of staying at all DVC resorts over time and it's been fun to try the ones we have so far. We do own at home resorts we love and stay there too, sometimes as part of a split stay where we also try a resort that's new to us.

As long as I know most of our trips will have stays at our home resort/s I am more than happy to try new ones.

Over the years, we had stayed at almost all the resorts except the value and GF.
When it came time to purchase DVC we knew which resorts we wanted to purchase.
Of course, adonitis still happened.

No I haven't regretted staying at other DVC locations. So far over the past 20 years we have only stayed at BC, BLT and VGF DVCs, we have stayed at the Poly, before DVC and WL for the first night of a DVC trip to save points. I think staying at the other resorts gave me the opportunity to see why we made the correct decision in choosing BWV to be our home resort. If you don't try other resorts you just don't know.

I have often thought about staying at OKW, SSR and AKL but I just can't bring myself to not stay at my home resort, it just fells like home. It might be nice to try RR but I don't know that I can justify the increase in points cost for the difference in location. I think each resort has it's own character and charm, some will appeal to each of us more than others. The beauty of DVC is there is something for each of us.

Almost forgot that we stayed at VB, we really liked VB and plan to stay there again this coming January. I guess I forgot because I don't think of this resort as a WDW resort.

Our goals for this stay were to:

Try a split stay
Stay at a MK area resort
Make sure my DH likes SSR.

We are looking to add on at SSR, but DH hasn't actually stayed there. He's one of those "as long as we're on property" kinda guys, so I'm not really worried. He was still happy at Pop, though the rest of us had moved on. lol

We will definitely go into this trip with an open mind, but just booking it has made it really clear to me that it makes the most sense for us to be at BWV for at least 1/2 our trip. We just prefer Epcot and HS and can easily spend 3-4 days total at those 2 parks. I do love MK but it is typically scheduled as 1 looong day for us (taking advantage of EMH or something) and AK is a very short day.

Short term future plans include at least 1/2 the trip at BWV and 1/2 (or maybe just 2 nights) elsewhere.

As DH and I get older, we see more and more trips in our future. Longer trips and also long weekends and such. Some without the kids at all and some still with them and (hopefully) with future grandkids. We figure we just have to keep paying for everyone and how can they say no? So, this is just step 1 of add-on-itis for us.

I hope we are able to re-buy BWV 20 ish years from now. I'm really trying not to think about it!

We’ve stayed at most of the DVC resorts GFV and Aulani are the only ones we haven’t stated at. OKW is still our favorite. We love them all for different reasons, but something about the laid back feel you get at OKW after a long day of theme parks is priceless to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter