If you really love your home resort...

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
Do you usually regret trying other resorts?

I just gave up my (home) BWV standard view res for a split stay at Poly / SSR.

I'm actually more sure of the SSR part than Poly, because I've stayed at SSR and like it and we can at least walk to DS. Also, booked preferred and looking forward to checking out the renovated rooms.

I'm just feeling really disappointed about not being able to walk to Epcot and HS. But I do want to try all the DVC resorts eventually, so this knocks Poly off the bucket list.

Ugh. Looking for reassurance! lol

Nope! Home is also BWV but we tried AKL last trip and I loved it :) Next stay is at Beach Club, looking forward to that as well.

I figure if I love staying somewhere else - great! And if I don’t, it just reinforces that I made the right home resort decision :)

Hope you enjoy your Poly & SSR stay!

What we initially thought our favorite resorts were did change a bit as our experience level grew so taking the leap to experience them all certainly paid off in that respect. That's not to say we would find any of the DVC resorts objectionable because we do find something we like at them all. But I am a bit surprised at what my list of "favorite" resorts is today compared to what I thought they were some years back.

I like trying all the resorts and never regret doing so. Bit definitely form a preference order and my home resorts happen to be at the top. We originally owned OKW (1st buy....for cheapest buy in) and it was last on our list so eventually we sold it. We own HHI and BWV and CCV now. BWV is our #1 resort to stay at. But it is nice to hop around and try out others. Some resorts are good for specific trips.

As with the others' experiences above, we've enjoyed trying numerous DVC resorts. We like the uniqueness each brings to our trip. Sure, we love some more than others and own at our favorite, but we've not regretted staying at any resort. For reference we've stayed at all the DVC resorts except Aulani, BWV, and Riviera.

We stay almost exclusively at BWV, but over our 20+ years of ownership there, we have stayed at a few other resorts, including Kidani, VGF, CCV, Poly & BLT.

Other than Kidani, the stays were for 2 or 3 nights in a studio as part of a split stay with a 1 bedroom at BWV. Kidani was for a week in a savanna view 2 bedroom when we traveled with my sister's family (including her 5 year old twins).

I don't regret any of those stays, but will most likely not repeat them, due to the points required. Points at BWV just go so much farther & we love those SV 1 bedroom villas.

We love our home resort (BLT) but have also loved PVB, Kidani, VGF and OKW. Our least favorite was SSR. I wouldn’t choose to stay there unless there was nothing else available. Not that it was bad, just nothing to draw us back there.

We used to use our points at other resorts for any trip other than Christmas... and then slowly I found myself missing home (OKW) on our drive home. Now we do a lot of split stays so we get some OKW time in. I never regret trying others, but something about OKW draws us back every time!

We stay almost exclusively at BWV, but over our 20+ years of ownership there, we have stayed at a few other resorts, including Kidani, VGF, CCV, Poly & BLT.

Other than Kidani, the stays were for 2 or 3 nights in a studio as part of a split stay with a 1 bedroom at BWV. Kidani was for a week in a savanna view 2 bedroom when we traveled with my sister's family (including her 5 year old twins).

I don't regret any of those stays, but will most likely not repeat them, due to the points required. Points at BWV just go so much farther & we love those SV 1 bedroom villas.

I hear ya on the points! Gave up a 10 points per night studio for 17 at Poly and 14 at SSR. We've never had a bad view @ BWV, but I realize I may end up with a parking lot view at Poly. Hope not.

We usually do a split stay where one portion is at our home resort (BWV) and then one portion is somewhere else. This lets us experience the other DVC resorts will still getting some time in at our home resort (which we love!). A couple of years ago we did a split stay between BWV and Poly. I found that I really enjoyed the Poly. We stayed at the far end of Moorea, close to the TTC. It was great to be able to walk to the TTC and pick up the boat to MK or the Monorail to EP. I also liked experiencing the different food options at Poly, as they are quite different from whats available at the BWV.

Do you usually regret trying other resorts?

Nah.

I really loved AKL-Jambo. If I bought more points, that would likely be the resort. I hope Boma can come back soon in some form.

I've also tried BLT, VGF, BCV, BWV, SSR and HHI. No regrets - they were all fun resorts in different ways.

But I have never regretted buying OKW or staying there. Definitely a great relaxing choice.

Like others have said, I do not regret staying at other resorts as they all offer different experiences that are typically fun in different ways. I do always compare it to my home resort of OKW, and typically say something along the lines of "this is a great resort" or "this was fun" but usually come to the conclusion that I do prefer my home resort.

Poly, for example, is one of my favorite resorts and I love being connected to a park. BUT, I still rather be at OKW in a one-bedroom.

We usually do a split stay where one portion is at our home resort (BWV) and then one portion is somewhere else. This lets us experience the other DVC resorts will still getting some time in at our home resort (which we love!). A couple of years ago we did a split stay between BWV and Poly. I found that I really enjoyed the Poly. We stayed at the far end of Moorea, close to the TTC. It was great to be able to walk to the TTC and pick up the boat to MK or the Monorail to EP. I also liked experiencing the different food options at Poly, as they are quite different from whats available at the BWV.

My daughters are really excited to have dole whip readily available! Lol And maybe I'll finally get some Tonga Toast! We've had Ohana too many times. Think we're done there for awhile! DH has wanted to do the Luau forever (even though it doesn't get great reviews), so I guess he'll get his wish!

DH and I own points at AKV. I talked him into staying one night at BLT 2013 ( I think?). It was Halloween night and I was excited to add it to the vacation to see the fireworks from the room. Well it has been my only night out of AKV in the 10 year life of our contract. It started with the drive up in the town car...very sterile, with all the parking lot, his exhale breath was a sigh. The Cast Members were excellent and greeted us right away. The resort was still new and bright. The room was spotless but modern. Then the weird sink arrangement. Listening to Hallowishes over the TV and watching them from the balcony was a wonderful memory. We had a partial theme park lake view. The scenery was very pretty. Then came the shower curtain. Because of the venting in the bathroom and both being pooh sized, we got wrapped in it during our showers. Each of us having the same experience. His was first so he prepared me....LOL. That sealed it for him. Then my moment came when the taxi pulled up to AKV-K the following morning...we both exhaled a sigh...of relief. The winding entrance, muted colors, surrounding vegetation, dark cool lobby, low lighting and interior hallways with African decor.

I don't ask about trying a different resort anymore...I think honestly we are Home Resort Purists. But I do love hearing other peoples experiences and am so happy there is a resort for everyone.

We own at BLT and have only been there twice in 10 years.
We have stayed at HHI -2, VB-2 and SSR, OKW, VGF and AKL. We have our first WDW spilt stay for this November back and SSR and first time at the new RR.

We really like trying different resorts and we have enjoyed every resort we have stayed at. I really feel they all have there positives!
We have also taken 8 DCL cruises in that 10 years, which we love to tack on to a resort stay.

I wish we own another contract or more points so we could vacation more with a Disney. I really love HHI and that is where I would love a small contract, so I could book at 7 months

My wife and I are currently trying 3 new resorts for our next trip. You should eventually try all of them!!

We've only been owners for a few years so until we try all the resorts so I'm partial to not staying at our home resort (BWV and BRV) unless we have to. Only thing I feel bad at is trading my low point standard view room at BWV for something much higher!

I don’t own at OKW or Poly and we have stayed there, and enjoyed them both enough to stay there again. OKW is my least favorite because it is very hard for me to walk up steps.

Okay I'll go against the grain and tell you straight up that I have regretted it! We did a split stay at our home resort (BLT) and PVB, and after leaving BLT and going to PVB, we felt like interlopers, and then every time we passed BLT on the monorail we gazed longingly at the place where we belonged, but were not staying any longer. We also had a few problems with our stay at PVB that exacerbated the situation. We have since stayed at BWV and while my wife liked it, I didn't really. I will still do the world tour and would like to stay at every DVC location at least once, but so far, BLT is absolutely 100% home to me and everywhere else is "just visiting."

The only exception is VGC, but that is a different coast and different park. We loved it there and are considering buying some points to go west occasionally.

One rule we now have as a result of our split stay fiasco is that for any split stay, we will always END our stay at our home resort. That way we always have "home" to look forward to during our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter