If you purchased resale, foregoing direct benefits...

Ah, we are using different math, I think. I was saying that the $4700 was the cost of 25 points (BLT at 185) and that we’d basically have recovered our cost of those points through savings on AP discounts in about 5-6 years. (In other words, the savings on AP will pay for the 25 point purchase altogether, not just pay for the price differential.)

Now that BLT is $225 *and* minimum purchase is 75 pts, that’s $16,875. There’s no way to make that up in direct benefits unless you really really needed the points anyway, and then I’d use your calculation. Which for BLT for 75 points is still 80 per point or $6000 in savings on APs in order to make it “worth it” to go direct for BLT.

I mean that either resort should be purchased with intent to stay at the home resort nearly all of the time. Their RTU is January 2042, so you are looking at 22 years of possible use right now. Meanwhile, the direct pricing is $190pp for BWV, and $225pp for BCV. Resale, you should be expecting $130-150 for a BCV contract, and $120-140 for a BWV contract. When you factor in that 22 year lifespan, they are a terrible value unless you are placing almost exclusive priority on being able to book them as home for 22 years.

If you want DVC to "try all the resorts!" and try to play the field at 7 months, you should not be paying the premium of BCV or BWV points to do it with, rationally speaking. There are far better values for resale cost, dues and RTU date. There are better values direct, because at least with CCV direct you're getting 48 years (heinous dues, tho), and Saratoga direct is wildly overpriced but not to the same extent as any of the monorail resorts, BWV or BCV.

Yes we looked at staying at either BWV or BCV mainly with children (likely BCV with the pool and easy transport to 2 parsk); but if we are going to purchase BWV or BSC on the resale market at substantially lower price per point than the direct prices than wouldn't that make more sense? We could still try for the 7 month booking at other resorts?

Unrelated is there much resale value anyways in the year 2042 on a 2057 resort (i.e. not BCV or BWV) because at that point those are on a 15 year expiration and not many people would be interested in purchasing those resale?

Ah, we are using different math, I think. I was saying that the $4700 was the cost of 25 points (BLT at 185) and that we’d basically have recovered our cost of those points through savings on AP discounts in about 5-6 years. (In other words, the savings on AP will pay for the 25 point purchase altogether, not just pay for the price differential.)

Now that BLT is $225 *and* minimum purchase is 75 pts, that’s $16,875. There’s no way to make that up in direct benefits unless you really really needed the points anyway, and then I’d use your calculation. Which for BLT for 75 points is still 80 per point or $6000 in savings on APs in order to make it “worth it” to go direct for BLT.
Ah, yes, I believe we are. I am using $4500 as the premium to buy those 75 points direct I would have otherwise bought resale. So for me, that is what I need to make up with access to the AP, since they are points I would have bought anyway.

I see what you are saying with your math though, and still find your overall point as valid either way.

Ah, yes, I believe we are. I am using $4500 as the premium to buy those 75 points direct I would have otherwise bought resale. So for me, that is what I need to make up with access to the AP, since they are points I would have bought anyway.

I see what you are saying with your math though, and still find your overall point as valid either way.
Also, I just "got" your picture/avatar. Nice!

Got 25 direct points right before the new restrictions, so we do have the perks. I will say they are nice - early access to run Disney races, AP discount, Moonlight Magic, TOTW and Epcot lounges. We’ve taken advantage of all of them. That said, I don’t think it’s worth the premium to buy direct - but am happy we have them.

Yes we looked at staying at either BWV or BCV mainly with children (likely BCV with the pool and easy transport to 2 parsk); but if we are going to purchase BWV or BSC on the resale market at substantially lower price per point than the direct prices than wouldn't that make more sense? We could still try for the 7 month booking at other resorts?

Unrelated is there much resale value anyways in the year 2042 on a 2057 resort (i.e. not BCV or BWV) because at that point those are on a 15 year expiration and not many people would be interested in purchasing those resale?
BCV and BWV remain the worst WDW values in resale, period. taking into account effective cost per point and dues, you are still paying a massive premium for being able to swap into AKV or SSR.

No one knows when or if the valuation on 2042s drops. BCV and BWV haven't started. They still should be buy, hold and book home.

As many people have alluded too, this whole conversation has changed now that those people buying resale for the first time no longer will have access to booking at any new DVC resorts (Riviera, Reflections, etc). Although that's not something that saves you money, the opportunity to stay new places is also something that's hard to put a specific pricetag on.

Got 25 direct points right before the new restrictions, so we do have the perks. I will say they are nice - early access to run Disney races, AP discount, Moonlight Magic, TOTW and Epcot lounges. We’ve taken advantage of all of them. That said, I don’t think it’s worth the premium to buy direct - but am happy we have them.

I've been to a couple of moonlight magic events and have bought gold APs. It's unlikely I'd pay a premium for those perks, though, but I'll use them as long as I have access to them.

It's mostly FOMO to sell direct. (IMHO FWIW FYI LOL :D)

As many people have alluded too, this whole conversation has changed now that those people buying resale for the first time no longer will have access to booking at any new DVC resorts (Riviera, Reflections, etc). Although that's not something that saves you money, the opportunity to stay new places is also something that's hard to put a specific pricetag on.

Not really that difficult. If you think you'll stay at those resorts the majority of the time then it makes sense to buy there as it tends to do with every new resort in current sales. There isn't enough difference or enough resales period to have it make much sense to consider anything but direct.

But DVC points rent easily so there's some math to apply to buying resale now that doesn't have access to Riviera. Assuming the new resorts will be a periodic thing you can plan to rent out your own points and then either rent a reservation at Riviera or transfer in points or even pay cash thru Disney. Depending on home resort you had and if you would rent the points out yourself or use a broker it might be a wash or just a couple of hundred dollars more to stay at Riviera or another new resort. If you use a broker then a little bit more. Considering there are 14 other resorts to potentially stay at vs a couple announced new ones you'll have many other resorts to stay at and might only do a new one every 5-7 years (or trips). Compare the resale vs direct price to a potential wash renting your points out and renting a reservation it still doesn't make financial sense to buy direct in order for the occasional or potential trade.

Will DVC allow to transfer Riviera points into restricted resale contracts?
To date, points have maintained their restrictions wherever they live. Presently a resale-only owner could transfer in pre-2011 points and those points would be qualified to use on DCL/ABD/etc. My guess is is Riviera would be the same.

To date, points have maintained their restrictions wherever they live. Presently a resale-only owner could transfer in pre-2011 points and those points would be qualified to use on DCL/ABD/etc. My guess is is Riviera would be the same.
Ah thanks, I didn't know it.

Will DVC allow to transfer Riviera points into restricted resale contracts?

Points are not transferred into a contract — they’re transferred into a membership, which can contain multiple contracts. Our membership contains two BWV contracts; other owners here have memberships containing more contracts, including from different resorts.

The point being that when transferring points, they retain their home resort, UY and restrictions on usage, if any.

It is an interesting question. I have 160 pts resale for SSR, that I bought after some restrictions, but before this last set of ones. I also have 100 pts direct from SSR. When we were first looking, my husband had someone in his office flip out and tell him buying resale was a huge mistake, he wouldn't get the benefits of being a real dvc owner. So, when it came time to buy, we thought we'd need 100 points...go figure we need more, so I bought the rest resale. Looking back, while we have been to a moonlight magic, epcot lounge, and have discounted APs and I use my totebag...I am absolutely sure it wasn't worth the money difference. Yeah, it's nice, but....I wish I had actually bought 100 more resale and had the cash. For what I paid, I have a $4800 blue card. Was it worth it...ultimately I think that is in the eye of the beholder!

I’m not currently a DVC owner (ex 1400 point owner).

That said, the main value in buying direct, in my opinion, is buying into the hype. “I have a blue card” is very nice, but what does it actually get you? It gets you a gold AP if you are not a Florida resident, but really what else that a Disney visa or something else won’t supply? Yeah, name a few things for a few bucks. I love it, but likely will never compare to the thousands (tens of thousands) saved by buying resale.

I've been a member since 2012, during this time I got the following perks:
- one Premium Plus AP for the cost of a Gold pass offer. This saved me $500 over the tickets I would have bought (two sets of UK Ultimate tickets)
- a few dining and merchandise discounts: not sure how much I've saved, but let's say $300 (I'm probably overestimating)
- one Moonlight Magic: Disney sells tickets for the similar After Hours for $120
- one tour discount: $15
- one free Soarin tour: not sure how much it's worth, similar short backstage tours are sold for around $50
- Epcot lounge access: 4 or 5 free coffees and some snacks, worth $30
- one magnet

So in nearly 7 years I saved around $1,000 worth from perks; buying resale I saved $8,600. If I had bought direct it would take me more than 50 years to break even.
However, economics for a larger family may be very different, as the AP discount can add up quickly and can make a 75 points add-on worth it.

I've been a member since 2012, during this time I got the following perks:
- one Premium Plus AP for the cost of a Gold pass offer. This saved me $500 over the tickets I would have bought (two sets of UK Ultimate tickets)
- a few dining and merchandise discounts: not sure how much I've saved, but let's say $300 (I'm probably overestimating)
- one Moonlight Magic: Disney sells tickets for the similar After Hours for $120
- one tour discount: $15
- one free Soarin tour: not sure how much it's worth, similar short backstage tours are sold for around $50
- Epcot lounge access: 4 or 5 free coffees and some snacks, worth $30
- one magnet

So in nearly 7 years I saved around $1,000 worth from perks; buying resale I saved $8,600. If I had bought direct it would take me more than 50 years to break even.
However, economics for a larger family may be very different, as the AP discount can add up quickly and can make a 75 points add-on worth it.
So true. It really comes down to the AP and your family size. Everything else is really not a big deal (especially when you end up spending more because you have a discount).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts