If you don't have a choice..summer or spring break

cinnaminny

DIS Veteran
5 days in the parks (with a max-pass) but you have to choose....Summer or Spring break

The last time I went to Disneyland I went the first week of November, not realizing that is when there is an annual Blizzard Convention down the street. It was nuts. That was probably the worst I have ever seen the parks and that is counting when we went during spring break. But I have never been to Disneyland in the summer.

I really want to take my whole family to Disneyland in a few years after my new grandbaby gets old enough to have some fun too. But because of school, we have to choose spring break or summer.

I haven’t been during summer but spring break wasn’t as bad as I expected. We got there at rope drop and took a mid afternoon break.

Are you thinking about visiting during 2019? Do you care about SWGE? Disney has announced that they plan to open SWGE "Summer 2019" -- which can mean anytime from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Bets here are for closer to Memorial Day/mid June, based on the AP blockout calendars for next summer. But anything can happen with construction not yet completed. If you want to avoid what will certainly be the insanity that accompanies opening one of the most anticipated new lands at DL, then opt for Spring Break. If you really want to see SWGE, then opt for Summer, but from mid June onward. (And be careful about later August -- HM will go down for the Halloween overlay sometime during the third week, AP blockouts will be lifted around the third week, D23 Expo is the third week, and DLR usually goes to low season by the last week of August, etc.) Both Spring Break and Summer have DLR running on peak season schedules, so that means full staffing, full entertainment schedules, longer hours, etc. That can really help the parks feel less congested. And peak Spring Break tends to be the two weeks prior to and right after Easter. So if your school break falls outside of that period, you might not hit peak Spring Break crowds.

I prefer the spring weather.

We went in March 2018. Pay close attention to the list of which schools are out when. Someone posts the lists—maybe figment? We went a week before the spring break locally. The parks were a Dream, with long hours. Then the next Monday boom! It was horrible. We couldn’t walk. Our kids could never handle that many people.

We have never been during Spring Break, but we love Summer. Long hours and max entertainment. I would go after the AP's are blocked for the summer.

Are you thinking about visiting during 2019? Do you care about SWGE? Disney has announced that they plan to open SWGE "Summer 2019" -- which can mean anytime from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Bets here are for closer to Memorial Day/mid June, based on the AP blockout calendars for next summer. But anything can happen with construction not yet completed. If you want to avoid what will certainly be the insanity that accompanies opening one of the most anticipated new lands at DL, then opt for Spring Break. If you really want to see SWGE, then opt for Summer, but from mid June onward. (And be careful about later August -- HM will go down for the Halloween overlay sometime during the third week, AP blockouts will be lifted around the third week, D23 Expo is the third week, and DLR usually goes to low season by the last week of August, etc.) Both Spring Break and Summer have DLR running on peak season schedules, so that means full staffing, full entertainment schedules, longer hours, etc. That can really help the parks feel less congested. And peak Spring Break tends to be the two weeks prior to and right after Easter. So if your school break falls outside of that period, you might not hit peak Spring Break crowds.

These are all amazing tips!

Seriously! You guys are awesome!

I also think it really depends on when you are thinking of going in the Spring. Spring Break can mean anything from early March to the middle of April (school districts have their spring breaks scattered throughout this period). The peak is probably expected somewhere around Easter this year (despite Easter being late) based on the AP Blockout Calendar (and when local schools are out).

I prefer summer because while the weather is hot it won’t rain on you. Everything is running full blast entertainment wise in July, grad Nites are done, fireworks usually every night if the winds don’t interfere, the hours will usually be maxed (meaning you can enjoy a lengthy afternoon hotel/pool break without feeling like you’re sacrificing a bunch of park time- breaks are vital with little ones!) & you can enjoy the water rides without freezing.

We prefer summer too-longer hours = longer breaks when it is too hot/too crowded. Go early, take mid-day break, stay late, you will get to see and do a lot of the parks. We have done Spring Break a few times and have enjoyed ourselves as well-like Malcon10t said, weather is usually milder-always something to consider.

I prefer summer because while the weather is hot it won’t rain on you. Everything is running full blast entertainment wise in July, grad Nites are done, fireworks usually every night if the winds don’t interfere, the hours will usually be maxed (meaning you can enjoy a lengthy afternoon hotel/pool break without feeling like you’re sacrificing a bunch of park time- breaks are vital with little ones!) & you can enjoy the water rides without freezing.

Just a note that we went last week in August and this was the opposite. If I'm remembering correctly WOC ran nightly but Fantasmic and fireworks were only on the weekend (we were able to catch it Fri night). Hours were shorter but honestly it worked perfrect for us as we'd go to the park and stay there all day (so around 9am - 8pm or 9pm...can't remember exactly). Then again, we are Canadaian for for Americans summer is probably over by end of August but just noting. But with all of that...it was hot in the day but we had an amazing time and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

Just a note that we went last week in August and this was the opposite. If I'm remembering correctly WOC ran nightly but Fantasmic and fireworks were only on the weekend (we were able to catch it Fri night). Hours were shorter but honestly it worked perfrect for us as we'd go to the park and stay there all day (so around 9am - 8pm or 9pm...can't remember exactly). Then again, we are Canadaian for for Americans summer is probably over by end of August but just noting. But with all of that...it was hot in the day but we had an amazing time and wouldn't hesitate to go again.
Yeah, you’re Canadian :) Plan on full “summer” schedule to be over around 2nd week of August as some US kids are starting to go back to school by then, I didn’t mention it as a PP warned OP already.

Nice to hear it worked out though! Usually the only things we hear from people about late August are: it was hot, the hours were short & the entertainment was cut back compared to just a week or two ago, and a bunch of rides ended up being closed refurbished.

Yeah, you’re Canadian :) Plan on full “summer” schedule to be over around 2nd week of August as some US kids are starting to go back to school by then, I didn’t mention it as a PP warned OP already.

Nice to hear it worked out though! Usually the only things we hear from people about late August are: it was hot, the hours were short & the entertainment was cut back compared to just a week or two ago, and a bunch of rides ended up being closed refurbished.

Yes it actually was super hot (heat wave last summer), but we managed with cooling towels and light collapsible water bottles. But it doesn't stand out as a downer or anything as we just had such an amazing time. Between MaxPass and not horrible crowds, we never waited long for a ride. True...my only disappointment is that DD and I love Haunted Mansion at WDW and so sucked that we missed it at DL with our timing (which we knew beforehand).

I would choose summer. Spring break is highly unpleasant. Summer actually generally feels less crowded...though it is a lot warmer. We live in southern California, so we're used to it, but get some cooling towels, stay hydrated, and it's totally manageable. Plus, nearly everything is guaranteed to be open and you'll have a full summer schedule of entertainment.

Normally I would say summer hands down since the ride closures are more minimal and summer has 3 months to spread crowds over. However Easter is really late this year which will cause spring breaks to be more spread out. And SWGE opens in the summer and will cause chaotic crowds .

ETA: since you are not looking at this year I would say summer .

We have done both, Spring Break (last week of March) and mid to late August. I would probably lean spring break again despite the crowds. We rope dropped, used MaxPass and took mid-day breaks. August was really hot so March was a much more comfortable trip weather-wise.

The lines in mid-July were the worst I’ve ever seen. And I’ve been at spring break, Christmas, and Halloween.

Definitely spring break. At least it won’t be so hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter